Teaching tripod grip for holding pencil

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 2:40 pm

Anyone have any experience / ideas on teaching the tripod grip to a 3.5 year old asd child for holding a pencil / crayon?

He holds them in a fist grip that causes him to loose control for drawing and writing

- George Bernie Shaw

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 2:59 pm

I can't imagine a 3 year old doing much writing...or drawing to begin with I thought it was mostly just scribbling at that age. Id say at that age maybe just let them explore on their own maybe in time he'll develop a more proper grip, but what do I know I don't have kids.

Other then that I'd say you could try showing him, but depending on his level of coordination it may be frustrating if he isn't able to 'get it' not sure all three year olds would have the coordination for that.

Also you could try sitting down and drawing/writing with him, and hold the pencil that way...then maybe he will pick up on it by trying to copy how you do it .

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 3:11 pm

try these. I've used them a long time

Triangular pencil grips

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 4:25 pm

Since he's so young the grip issues may or may not lead to anything, but if problems continue it could be a sign your child is disgraphic, a writing condition that can be caused by loose joints, weak muscles, and/or hand to brain issues. It is a relatively common co-morbid for children with ASD. The traditional pencil grip is literally painful for my son, now 21, and for that reason he never mastered it. The good news is that solid protocols for disgraphia have developed over the past decade and children who get help should eventually be able to communicate effectively and comfortably in writing.

But ... its too early to suggest this is a problem for your child. Just ... keep your eyes open as he matures and reaches the ages where unique grips leave the range of "normal." I'd say first or second grade should be when you will have a better idea.

Mukka
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Mar 2019, 2:45 am

The good news is that solid protocols for disgraphia have developed over the past decade and children who get help should.