Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Rad Rockit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2019, 11:39 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

"smart" should not be a compliment.

"stupid" should not be an insult.

I think it would be hilarious to flip it around. Use smart as an insult, stupid as a compliment. Confuse the hell out of people.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2019, 6:31 pm

underwater wrote:
I think people are scared of thinking about IQ because the general perception of it is that it doesn't change. Which I guess can cause a feeling of futility. Being skinny, getting laid, earning lotsa money…...none of these things are stable. And people do overvalue IQ, even people who have high IQs themselves and should know better.

Furthermore, the perception is that since it's genetic, it's not something you've earned either, whereas you could argue that the other things mentioned are earned, though there may be biological propensities towards those things too.

Another thing is people with lower or average IQs might be afraid that in the presence of someone with a higher IQ, their opinions and ideas will be devalued relative to the person with the higher IQ, because it will be assumed that higher IQ people know better by default.

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2019, 1:36 am

im sorry to say it, bit iq test isnt representative of a person's merits and tallents. which is why it is frowned on. its a flawed numeric, that ONLY represents a very narrow slate of mind. anybody, who's forte is in a different area, would be under-graded. (and ya, my iq is about 132, cant remember for sure - i was forced to take that test many years ago). high iq doesnt mean genius, low iq doesnt mean ret*d. plus other reasons ppl have mentioned here. so ya, its best to ignore this numeric)

Farunel
Raven
Raven

27 Mar 2019, 10:53 pm

serpentari wrote:
im sorry to say it, bit iq test isnt representative of a person's merits and tallents. which is why it is frowned on. its a flawed numeric, that ONLY represents a very narrow slate of mind. anybody, who's forte is in a different area, would be under-graded. (and ya, my iq is about 132, cant remember for sure - i was forced to take that test many years ago). high iq doesnt mean genius, low iq doesnt mean ret*d. plus other reasons ppl have mentioned here. so ya, its best to ignore this numeric)

This is true. And there's also a misconception that IQ is static and cannot be changed. But it can. You can literally train yourself to be better at IQ tests. It can be improved. Which entirely renders it's main purpose useless. It's outdated and people put too much stock in it. Intelligence is too complex to be measured by a single number. Too many faucets.