What do you think about escape rooms?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Fandosal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Feb 2019, 12:50 pm

What do you think about escape rooms? Is it interesting for you?

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 2:00 pm

I find the concept interesting, though I've never tried one.

Oddly, I actually found one at the local mall the other day, which doesnt make a lick of sense to me, but the fact that it's there sure says something about the popularity of the concept.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 2:02 pm

They're fun. All you need to win is cooperation and coordination of effort. My team success rate is 73%. My personal rate is higher.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 3:28 am

I don't like them at all.

I like problem solving, but the idea of being locked into a room without possibility to exit whenever i want (which some do) - no deal.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 8:11 am

I had never heard of them before until I came across a bunch of VR games that were called 'escape room' games. I didn't know at the time that they were based on a thing that people enjoyed in real life. Recently an escape room place opened up in my area and I realised they were a non VR thing.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 5:20 pm

I hadn't either. I heard they originated in Japan. There was a Japanese horror movie featuring an escape room, and the contestants got picked off one by one, Hunger Games style. I've forgotten the name of it.

I consider cruise ships kind of escape rooms, actually.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2019, 11:09 am

They sound interesting. Although I wish there was a solo option and you didn't need a team to participate.

Bobik
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Sep 2019, 1:51 am

We have also tried such entertainment ...........and I had only positive experience and this entertainment surely gets you involved. It is worth to try as many quest to see which one is the best. It was very interesting for us and I spend wonderful time there with my family, the rooms were incredibly immersive.

Last edited by B19 on 10 Dec 2019, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.: spammer

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 12:32 pm

We had one at a camp I went to this summer, only instead of being trapped in a room, we were looking for three folders hidden in the room. I found codes hidden in a book almost right away, but no one listened when I kept saying that I'd found something. A little while later I noticed that there was a Scrabble board with clues on it to look in the book, and by then I was very frustrated that no one was listening to me, so I just put the book next to the board and left. Probably it would have been more fun if I could do it by myself.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 12:38 pm

They can be extremaly dangerous - take a look at what happened in my country in such a room earlier this year :?
https://www.google.pl/search?ei=0xmBXd- ... CAo&uact=5
Poles generally don't trust escape rooms after this tragic accident, any more.

phantasmagoria
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Sep 2019, 6:27 am

It's a trend, I don't think they would make for a good long term business idea. One opened up in my area and I don't see it lasting more than a year or two if they are lucky.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 5:33 am

Irulan, that is very disturbing. It reminds me of the Fluffy Bunny craze that swept the world a few years ago. Girls would get together at slumber parties and dare each other to keep shoving marshmallows in their mouths while enunciating the phrase "fluffy bunny". The object was to keep up the game until someone choked. There was at least one death from such chokings where marshmallows would melt down the throat, blocking the windpipe.

Dragonsanddemons, that sounds infuriating. People can be so $#%## sometimes!

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 7:06 am

On a happier note: our local library sponsored one: 20 min. The conference room had windows and I am sure the door was unlocked. My kids had a blast. Blue-light flashlights, combination locks of every type. It was cool. My only concern was that I am impatient and dislike failing. In this case the librarian bumped us along as needed so success was certain. I don't remember how we got stuck if we did (didn't readily see the rocket launcher manual?), but she did mention how impressed she was and we were the only ones to correctly interpret one code (referencing individual page numbers).