Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 3:02 pm

I’m considering getting an updated evaluation as my learning disability affects my everyday life.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Feb 2019, 10:03 am

I was recertified for dyslexia when I was 19. I was getting ready to take a class & thought I might need accommodations. I needed a recent diagnosis to get em. I got tested at the local college.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

NCaswell
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2019, 12:35 pm

I was diagnosed with a Specific Learning Disability (SLD) in my early elementary years but it was never disclosed as to what it was (confidential and not disclosed to children even though I was still never given proper disclosure after 18). I have kept my records since they are given by the time one turns 18 and leaving high school, and it gives a range of poor performances from reading, mathematics, some language difficulties (verbal and listening; I was awfully quiet and believe to have had selective mutism and didn't trust other adults, let alone professionals.)

One thing that has been prominent to this day is definitely dyscalculia. I was never given a proper assessment to confirm this. I have learned to a degree on how to handle it in my own way when having to deal with arithmetic curriculum even as I am in university. But it's hard when even professionals were being hush-hush as I was growing up, confirming to the bias I can have on assessments and diagnoses...especially for children likely suspected of AD(H)D, which is another subject since times have changed and there's more complexity on how it can be diagnosed now.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2019, 1:00 pm

I was diagnosed with NVLD this year (I'm twenty), although my official label is an unspecified developmental disorder. In my case, I was told that it isn't exactly a learning disorder in nature, but it's close. I think it's a very good idea to be tested. Finding out about my LD helped me understand why some of my impairments were so much more severe than most Aspies/autistics (I'm terrible at taking in visual information, for example). I've been able to adjust my expectations and long-term plans to suit my abilities. I think this information is going to make being independent much easier in the future.

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 May 2019, 6:32 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
I’m considering getting an updated evaluation as my learning disability affects my everyday life.

I was diagnosed in my 30s. I say get the diagnosis if you can because it can only help you. It could become relevant to your life in work situations where you need to learn a new task or with your continuing education.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 7:20 pm

I didn't get my dyscalculia diagnosis until my late 20's, but I always had it. I'll probably have to get assessed again when I go to college barbecue where I live you have to be reassessed every couple of years and it's been a few since I got diagnosed and I remember showing the documents to my high school program teacher and her saying they were "still relevant".

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 May 2019, 7:38 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I didn't get my dyscalculia diagnosis until my late 20's, but I always had it. I'll probably have to get assessed again when I go to college barbecue where I live you have to be reassessed every couple of years and it's been a few since I got diagnosed and I remember showing the documents to my high school program teacher and her saying they were "still relevant".
I have Dyscalculia & Dysgraphia but I've always been told they were just symptoms of my dyslexia. The words Dyscalculia & Dysgraphia were never mentioned but the symptoms were in my dyslexia reports. Where I'm from you have to be reassessed every 3 years.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition