Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2019, 10:34 pm

Antrax wrote:
I personally do not believe in God, but do not believe a logical premise is needed to do so.

Well, here is one whether you like it or not... :mrgreen:
But to be more accurate, it isn't actually a logical argument about there not being one...
It is rather a logical argument as to the relevancy of a god to humanity...
Though one could argue that man made god, not the other way around...

Assumption: The observation is true...

Quote:
Scientists found that damage in a certain part of the brain is linked to an increase in religious fundamentalism. In particular, lesions in the ventromedial prefrontal cortex reduced cognitive flexibility - the ability to challenge our beliefs based on new evidence.

https://youtu.be/Ii3qRrDThFI
I haven't watched the video yet (in the middle of something)...
Hopefully it makes sense...

Perhaps removing the section of the brain altogether, which inspires god conceptualisation, might be an atheist's dream come true... :mrgreen:

I found another youtube-podcast/article about an anthropological study suggesting a certain part of the prefrontal cortex needed to evolve before it was even possible for humanity to conceptualise spirituality/god...
Having trouble finding it again...
Meh...What can you do?

But once again, if this section of the brain could be removed as a default at birth in future societies, they would probably not be having discussion such as this one... 8)

Max1951
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2019, 1:49 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Whatever one wants to call it or not call it, 'something' pulls people back to Itself as a member of Itself at death and in most cases It's elated to have them back home.

This is very interesting to me. Why does it seem this way to you @techstepgenr8tion? What made you notice the phenomenon that you mention here? Do you see it as a sort of immaterial gravity that pulls souls together? Or do souls themselves as knitting themselves together through shared experience? And would the source of the "elation" be a product of the greater communion of two or more souls, which understood each other perfectly? Could that be the legendary heaven?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2019, 5:28 pm

Max1951 wrote:
This is very interesting to me. Why does it seem this way to you @techstepgenr8tion? What made you notice the phenomenon that you mention here? Do you see it as a sort of immaterial gravity that pulls souls together? Or do souls themselves as knitting themselves together through shared experience? And would the source of the "elation" be a product of the greater communion of two or more souls, which understood each other perfectly? Could that be the legendary heaven?

A couple reasons I can think of:

1) An experience millions of people have had, for my measurement of language at least, doesn't fit the phrase 'plural of anecdote' well.

2) I'd had things happen, during certain week or two week portions of my life, that really can't be explained by reductive materialism's take on consciousness and you could say that - without having needed to have an NDE - I had encounters that just didn't fit the definition of hallucination well. In a way they felt more close, intimate, and familiar to me than anything I've ever experienced in my life.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2019, 6:32 pm

So you're talking about someone like Q?