Pokemon Direct: Pokemon Sword and Shield

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2019, 11:20 pm

Yay, June 5th it is!
6 am PT, 9 am EST, 15 CET for those who want to catch it.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2019, 11:40 pm

What’s the point in Pokémon?
As a kid I played a game boy Pokémon but never got very far.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 8:39 pm

sly279 wrote:
What’s the point in Pokémon?
As a kid I played a game boy Pokémon but never got very far.

Collecting and training/raising a team of monsters (Pokémon), to keep defeating other opponents to get through the story, so you can collect more and finish the story. Different games are in different lands, with different characters and stories, a new influx of Pokémon, that it has gone from 150 to over 800. It is kind of up to the person what they want from the games, whether it is to catch as many as they can (maybe all), min maxing a good team (which can be quite involved), enjoying it as a bonding with the creatures, just in it for story and exploration, and various other added things that pop up in each game.

You said that you played it on Gameboy as a kid, so I might recommend this short video from a few years ago of Pokémon Generations, which was a celebration of the different games. You may recognise the first segment, but the rest maybe show how it had kept a sort of consistency over the years.

The rest of the Generations mini series was about random different story elements of the games, that may or may not have had the player there at the time, and close to the game canon, which is different from the anime. Getting a single point of the games can be hard, because it can mean different things to different people. For me, there is sort of like personality to all new Pokémon, people, and lands, that are just fun, and looking forward to a new one soon. One of my favourite examples of the sort of personality was from last generation's Mimikyu, a creepy ghost fairy thing that dresses like Pikachu because it wants to be as loved as it and get friends.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 9:19 pm

Yes that was one i played. I watched the original Pokémon show with ash.

I might get a switch, trying to wait til after e3 to see if the new one comes out.

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2019, 9:27 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
^ yeah it's funny!

I have played both male and female in these games. Usually I prefer the looks and clothes for the male.

I wish there was more focus on real games and less on stuff for phones. I hope their focus isn't changing...

I wonder if we'll ever see Pokemon Centers in Europe....

As someone who has trouble getting enough sleep due to habits (I don't remember the last time I went to bed before midnight), Pokémon Sleep actually has me interested. I listened to a discussion about it, and one guy suggested that they release special plushies that can connect to the game. I think that's GENIUS, but I'd only get a Rowlet, Spoink or Ledian one. But we'd be lucky if they didn't just stick to Pikachu (if they go through with the idea, that is).

I have no interest in Pokémon Masters. I'm not a mobile game player in the first place, and they're clearly gonna get devious with this. It's nice to see the human characters get some attention, but that's pretty much the only good thing I have to say about Masters. Detective Pikachu 2 is neat, but I'm probably not gonna bother with it either, since I didn't play the first game.

Pokémon Home is a nice surprise; I like how you can send Pokémon from Go and Let's Go in addition to the gen 7 games. It really makes me miss my 3DS; in preparation for the new games on Switch, I gathered my seven favorite Pokémon and IV bred them to make them as perfect as I could. Then I gave them all nicknames and good moves, and put them in a box so I could transfer them later on. Then all my 3DS stuff burned down with my old house. :(

I'm pretty exited for the direct on the 5th. It's likely that Sword and Shield will have a new game mechanic for its battles, and they'll probably show it off.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 12:36 pm

Why is there two different versions?

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2019, 3:02 pm

sly279 wrote:
Why is there two different versions?

To encourage cooperation among players. They're mostly the same, but each version has a slightly different roster of Pokémon you can find in the wild. To get a Pokémon that's not in your version, you have to trade for it.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2019, 12:10 am

So... giant Pokémon?

Also, the fluffball that is Wooloo.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2019, 7:25 am

Giant Pokemon...

I guess that is the new replacement for mega evolution and z-moves.... Not sure what I think of it, but we'll see once the games are released how it actually works when playing it.

I didn't like that some Pokemon can only be found if you play multiplayer (unless it only is for giant versions). I wouldn't like it if it means that one is dependent on having others to play with in order to complete the PokeDex.

They also added a new turtle, Drednaw.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 5:21 pm

We have it, there is a corgi.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 5:57 pm

I'm glad they added Yamper, a UK region should have a corgi. Ability: Ball Fetch! :lol: It'd be cool if they also had a shepherd, like a collie or an old English sheepdog, but 2 new dogs in the game would be too much to hope for.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2020, 9:12 pm

I'm both excited and annoyed about the DLC. I think the content should have been part of the actual physical game!

I am really looking forward to the remake of PMD! I've been playing the demo and I really like the cute plushie-looking 3D Pokemon.
I've been hoping for PMD remakes, but I didn't think it'd happen.