Page 5 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2022, 10:54 am

magz wrote:
. . . Here and now, terrorists are not coming to my home, thanks to the soldiers patrolling our borders. . .
You have just reaffirmed the idea that, in real life, only soldiers can keep other soldiers at bay.

Yes, bards are needed to help calm victims and take their minds of their trauma (if only for a moment), but if armed Rooskies are heading toward my home and family, I will meet them with a armed deterrence, not with a song.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Apr 2022, 10:58 am

Why not armed deterrence and a song?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2022, 11:03 am

Catchy tune, but it is the impact of the weapon that does the damage, not the songs about it.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Apr 2022, 11:38 am

Right tool for the right purpose. Bayraktar drones are good for destroying tanks, Bayraktar song is good for keeping people fight.
That's why my "we need both" opinion.
And, right now, we very much need investigators, observers and journalists to bust Russian lies.
It's not either-or, it's best combined.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 4:17 am

Thats not the issue.

The point is that when the hippie folksingers start switching from "give peace a chance" to "The Battle Hymn of the Republic", or even to "the Sinking of the Reuben James" (the US Navy destroyer sunk by Nazi Uboats even before Pearl Harbor in WWII glorified at the time in song by proto hippies Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger) then even they have ceased to be "Pacifists".

Not that I am faulting Seeger and Guthrie. Supporting the war effort was the right thing to do at that moment. Just as opposing war was the right stance a generation later in the Vietnam era IMHO.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 5:23 am

magz wrote:
Erewhon wrote:
The most powerful weapon to achieve/maintain peace is the realization that both nationalities and religion are not nature identities, they are brainwashed nurture identities in the minds of people. Also within capitalism, religion and nationalism are a handy 'tool' to mold their minds.

John Lennon incorporated the 'no countries and no religions' into his beautiful peace song 'Imagine'

With all respect, when someone assaults you, murders, rapes and loots your civilian population and tries to beat you up to conform to their sick ideology, this kind of pacifism is a great enabler of evil.
It would be great if people just loved and respected each other... but so far, sadly, agressive bullies who understand only the language of power still exist.

I do not write in my comment that people who are attacked should not defend themselves.

I write in my comment that nationalities and religion are not natural identity, and that they are also an important trigger for terrible violence. I cannot avoid nature identities, but I do see room for liberation from nurture identities.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Apr 2022, 5:30 am

Communities and societes are natural for humans.
Nations and religions are just some forms of them. Deconstructed, they would be most likely replaced by some other collective identities.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2022, 11:53 am

magz wrote:
Communities and societes are natural for humans.
Nations and religions are just some forms of them. Deconstructed, they would be most likely replaced by some other collective identities.

With all respect, nations and religions are nurture and not nature. In humanity there has never been a human being born with any nationality or religion. Nationalities and religions only form after birth in the mind.

An important point I want to make is that nationalities and religions evoke an us-them feeling, it divides people.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 May 2022, 2:14 pm

In Soviet Union, they tried to de-program people from nations and religions.
The results did not bring more peace.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 2:51 pm

George Poetin or is he Vladimir Bush :?:

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:27 pm

Peacekeepers :?:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 1:42 am

It's generally a better experience all around when you're able to shoot back at those shooting at you, and it's the same for any other weapon. :| Sometimes you can't escape the situation when it comes to bad guys.

This is coming from someone that's likely far too soft for the world and isn't a fan of fighting stuff, by the way. I just won't allow people to harm or attempt to harm me or other innocents without a response if I'm capable of it.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 4:50 am

Destruction and graffiti on a military cemetery which took place at the beginning of May in the vicinity of Nijmegen (*). A few days before the annual commemoration of the dead of the 2nd world war.

(*) Nijmegen is nurture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtLekcvKpNY

traven
Veteran
Veteran

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 1:59 pm

ImageImage

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 11:03 am

"If you want to bring peace somewhere, don't bring weapons with you" (Loesje)