Page 7 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 3:07 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Crimadella wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
In theory, I think a radical investment in green technology could be extremely good for the economy as well as the environment. It's a real technical challenge that creates high-skilled jobs as well as more manual construction jobs. Everything from constructing wind turbines to re-insulating houses via installing EV charging points will help create jobs and inject stimulus into the economy. And sometimes you need to couple investment with "stick" legislation to make people abandon their polluting lifestyles. But these policies need to be thought out properly - it seems the Green New Deal people haven't even thought about domestic energy consumption for example, or smart grids, and they've dismissed most of the best tools we have.

That's one of the things I think is outrageous, the fact that valuable green technology already exists yet corporations buy the patents up, blocking people from being able to use the technology. So it's not that we don't have the technology to put a huge dent in CO2 output, so pumping more resources into creating more technology will likely follow the same current course, we really need to focus on doing something about allowing corporations to buy up patents and sit on useful technology without any intentions on using it.

I think it would be great all around for people who patent there creations to be able to sell there technology to multiple companies or individuals and outlaw the ability for one company to buy the patent and prevent others from having access to the technology. The original designer gets to make more money off of their idea(Great!), then it adds more competition which drives prices down and opens up the possibility for more people to start business rather than having corporations be able to dominate so fiercely.

I know I've responded to this in the other thread - I don't think very much patent trolling goes on in this field - but I think it's worth noting that innovation has already lowered the carbon emissions of most countries significantly. I think the UK currently has its lowest emissions for 150 years or something equally ridiculous. Wind and solar power are now capable of competing with fossil fuels without subsidy. We're soon going to see floating wind turbines in deep seas. And with technologies like insulation and electric cars, the issue isn't the engineering so much as the practicalities - people need places to charge their cars and expect that if they wait a few years then the government will pay for their insulation.

So companies can just buy up patents for renewable energy and sit on them so no one else can use it? If that is the case it should certainly be stopped. I mean what are these peice of sh*t as*holes who think they are so far above the world they don't even have to deal with any real world issues, why should their perspective even matter when they just want to screw things for everyone else.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 5:25 am

Sweetleaf wrote:

So companies can just buy up patents for renewable energy and sit on them so no one else can use it? If that is the case it should certainly be stopped. I mean what are these peice of sh*t as*holes who think they are so far above the world they don't even have to deal with any real world issues, why should their perspective even matter when they just want to screw things for everyone else.

Big business is profoundly polluted with psychopaths...
They do extremely well in this sort of environment...
I doubt my views on Asstralian politics will ever be the same after the banking royal commission here in Oz...
I wouldn't have been surprised if it happened in amerikanischen Gesellschaft, but here in Asstralia? Das ist unglaublich...Scheiße dreck... :mrgreen:

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 10:53 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Crimadella wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
In theory, I think a radical investment in green technology could be extremely good for the economy as well as the environment. It's a real technical challenge that creates high-skilled jobs as well as more manual construction jobs. Everything from constructing wind turbines to re-insulating houses via installing EV charging points will help create jobs and inject stimulus into the economy. And sometimes you need to couple investment with "stick" legislation to make people abandon their polluting lifestyles. But these policies need to be thought out properly - it seems the Green New Deal people haven't even thought about domestic energy consumption for example, or smart grids, and they've dismissed most of the best tools we have.

That's one of the things I think is outrageous, the fact that valuable green technology already exists yet corporations buy the patents up, blocking people from being able to use the technology. So it's not that we don't have the technology to put a huge dent in CO2 output, so pumping more resources into creating more technology will likely follow the same current course, we really need to focus on doing something about allowing corporations to buy up patents and sit on useful technology without any intentions on using it.

I think it would be great all around for people who patent there creations to be able to sell there technology to multiple companies or individuals and outlaw the ability for one company to buy the patent and prevent others from having access to the technology. The original designer gets to make more money off of their idea(Great!), then it adds more competition which drives prices down and opens up the possibility for more people to start business rather than having corporations be able to dominate so fiercely.

I know I've responded to this in the other thread - I don't think very much patent trolling goes on in this field - but I think it's worth noting that innovation has already lowered the carbon emissions of most countries significantly. I think the UK currently has its lowest emissions for 150 years or something equally ridiculous. Wind and solar power are now capable of competing with fossil fuels without subsidy. We're soon going to see floating wind turbines in deep seas. And with technologies like insulation and electric cars, the issue isn't the engineering so much as the practicalities - people need places to charge their cars and expect that if they wait a few years then the government will pay for their insulation.

Electricity and cars get a lot of attention and rightly so but they are only part of the problem. Currently almost all manufacturing (including wind turbines and solar panels) and much of the world's food supply (via Haber Bosch nitrogen fixation) rely on fossil fuels. Also all plastics.

Also while reaching economic competitiveness is a major milestone for solar + wind, I do not think they have the capability to provide all the world's energy. Some areas in the world are better suited to capture solar power and wind power than others. Also with the development of 3rd world countries the energy demand of the world is predicted to increase dramatically by 2050 (I think the last estimate I saw was an increase to 50 quads of energy demand).

There is a lot more technical development yet to be done particularly on the manufacturing/chemical production side. We should invest in it, but it's a mistake to tell people if we just build enough solar panels and make enough charging stations we'll solve the problem.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Mar 2019, 2:57 am

Crimadella wrote:
If you can easily compete with fossil fuels in $$ for energy, why aren't people hopping on it to make $$? You would think people would be itching to make money and compete with power companies, perhaps the carbon and emission taxes should be bumped up a little higher to give more motivation?

People are hopping on it. I don't know so much about the US market, but on sunny, windy days, the UK can now turn off all its coal-fired stations. Most EU countries are in similar boats although they may have very different levels of resource.

Yes, it's true that the "cost" of carbon is not currently captured by market mechanisms. Increasing carbon taxes could help address that. Another option would be to cut subsidies for fossil fuels which presently drive the cost of dirty power down. This used to make energy affordable, but now it just makes clean energy less competitive. The main argument in favour of subsidy is that a lot of jobs are now dependent on the subsidies.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2019, 11:05 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Crimadella wrote:
If you can easily compete with fossil fuels in $$ for energy, why aren't people hopping on it to make $$? You would think people would be itching to make money and compete with power companies, perhaps the carbon and emission taxes should be bumped up a little higher to give more motivation?

People are hopping on it. I don't know so much about the US market, but on sunny, windy days, the UK can now turn off all its coal-fired stations. Most EU countries are in similar boats although they may have very different levels of resource.

Yes, it's true that the "cost" of carbon is not currently captured by market mechanisms. Increasing carbon taxes could help address that. Another option would be to cut subsidies for fossil fuels which presently drive the cost of dirty power down. This used to make energy affordable, but now it just makes clean energy less competitive. The main argument in favour of subsidy is that a lot of jobs are now dependent on the subsidies.

If people actually prefer subsidies(I don't), perhaps in the US it would be best to make the playing field more balanced by treating clean energy better than dirty energy. Or is it the factor of less employees needed that gives this imbalance? If so then yes, increase carbon taxes. Sadly I have a feeling if that is done they will simply pass the extra taxes off onto the customers.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2019, 4:03 pm

I wondered earlier today how willing the US might be to give up its control over global energy supply... I mean, they are controlling how much everyone is paying for oil right now, and not too fond of european-russian collaborations.
Renewables are a way for Europe and the rest of the world to get out of this sphere of American market control... but renewables are requiring massive investment into grids etc. - so the US hindering progress is actually undermining European justification to make that investment (politically speaking: where's the point for Europeans to try to save the world, if the Americans don't play along).
I wonder if the US is knowingly undermining this political justification to stay in control of the oil-market - for the sake of maintaining its empire, at the risk of destroying the possibility for organized human life...