Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

epilanthanomai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Mar 2019, 12:19 am

For a long time I've joked that I'm probably mildly autistic. I never really took it too seriously: Yeah, I had some major quirks, but I managed them (some better than others) and usually I could avoid it becoming a big problem. In the last couple months it's been becoming a bit more of a problem, and I've started re-evaluating my relationship to that joke. I started seriously reading symptom descriptions and autistic people's experiences and really connecting with them. That reading drew a lot of those old quirks into startling focus, connecting dots that I'd long thought of as a random constellation of oddities. Out of curiosity I took a bunch of online quizzes, and to nobody's surprise I scored pretty high on them, even when I strained to answer as conservatively as possible.

The other day I asked my old therapist to start up appointments again. We hadn't talked about autism before, but I trust he'll be helpful. I'm having a lot of complex feelings around the idea that I might be autistic. Partially it's a relief that some chaotic history might have a pattern. Partially it's embarrassment at not having noticed. Partially it's worried about accidentally stepping on people's toes by jumping into self-diagnosis. But mostly it's just curious and a little hopeful that I might have just stumbled into something really valuable for me.

Anyway, hi! I've been lurking for a couple of days, and tonight I made an account so I could introduce myself and start engaging a little more. It's neat to be here trying to figure out how I fit <3

Zinnia86
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2019, 12:40 am

Welcome :)

zcientist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2019, 12:17 pm

Welcome to WP, hopefully this site will help you.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2019, 1:00 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet,

epilanthanomai wrote:
I'm having a lot of complex feelings around the idea that I might be autistic. Partially it's a relief that some chaotic history might have a pattern. Partially it's embarrassment at not having noticed. Partially it's worried about accidentally stepping on people's toes by jumping into self-diagnosis. But mostly it's just curious and a little hopeful that I might have just stumbled into something really valuable for me.

That sums up just about perfectly how I felt when a counsellor first suggested that I look into the idea. I've been formally diagnosed for about three years now, and in that time, I've spoken to many people who didn't see the connection until later in life. The rollercoaster of thoughts and feelings about it is perfectly normal, as far as I can tell, but you'll find plenty of people to talk to here who've been through very similar experiences. I hope you find it as rewarding as I have! :D

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2019, 3:16 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2019, 4:30 pm

My therapist suggested the idea to me 2 weeks ago, I was shocked on one hand, and not remotely surprised on the other. For the first week I'd swing between the two, but it's settled pretty quickly actually. Nothing bad has happened, I'm still the same person, and I guess I know myself a bit better for it. Don't think I'll bother with a formal diagnosis, at least not for now.
Welcome to the forums, don't be frightened, you're the same great person you always were :)

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2019, 6:37 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2019, 6:55 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

epilanthanomai

04 Mar 2019, 8:06 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

endersdragon34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2019, 2:12 pm

Sounds like me when I first came here like forever ago (this isn't my original name). Welcome :)