Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2019, 2:32 am

Bill Gross Says He Has Asperger Syndrome

The Bloomberg video interview is just under 10 minutes.
Very interesting diagnosis story.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 5:27 am

Bill Gross’s Aspergers brought up in his noise harassment trial

Quote:
Bill Gross’s expert sound witness tried to downplay a comparison between the U.S. military’s use of loud music as psychological warfare and the billionaire playing the “Gilligan Island” theme song repeatedly to annoy his neighbor -- but ended up in the hot seat over it.

Towfiq, a tech entrepreneur, and Gross have been locked in a public feud for months with Towfiq claiming it started when he filed a complaint with city officials over the billionaire’s installation of protective netting over a million-dollar sculpture in Gross’s yard. Towfiq claims Gross retaliated by blasting music at unreasonable volume. Gross has accused Towfiq of being a “peeping Tom” by photographing and recording him and his girlfriend Amy Schwartz.

Later Thursday, Rory Miller, a lawyer for Gross, tried to ask the expert about the effects loud music may have on a person who’s on the autism spectrum.

“It’s a matter of public record that Mr. Gross has been diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorder,” Miller told the court. “The allegation is that Mr. Gross and Ms. Schwartz played loud music such that it was in violation of noise ordinances. The credibility of that allegation is undermined by the fact that individuals with Asperger’s Syndrome such as Mr. Gross are particularly distressed by loud noises.”

Skolnick countered that Miller’s claim “was a bit of a stretch,” because Towfiq has testified Gross played the music “outside with his door shut.”

Begault said he hadn’t conducted any relevant research.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 7:14 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Bill Gross’s Aspergers brought up in his noise harassment trial
Quote:
Towfiq, a tech entrepreneur, and Gross have been locked in a public feud for months with Towfiq claiming it started when he filed a complaint with city officials over the billionaire’s installation of protective netting over a million-dollar sculpture in Gross’s yard.

And why on Earth would Towfiq file a complaint with city officials about such a thing???

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
“It’s a matter of public record that Mr. Gross has been diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorder,” Miller told the court. “The allegation is that Mr. Gross and Ms. Schwartz played loud music such that it was in violation of noise ordinances. The credibility of that allegation is undermined by the fact that individuals with Asperger’s Syndrome such as Mr. Gross are particularly distressed by loud noises.”

Not ALL "individuals with Asperger’s Syndrome ... are particularly distressed by loud noises." Sensory issues vary widely.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 8:37 pm

In legal proceedings the obligation of defense and prosecution is to demonstrate whether the person on trail is legally responsible for his actions. This often comes at the expense of accuracy and more stigmas against autistics. The ongoing trial of Alek Minassian documented in the news section is the most public example of this.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 8:44 pm

In this case the issue does not appear to be whether Gross "is legally responsible for his actions" but whether it is credible that he would have played loud music in the first place. If indeed he is as noise-sensitive as is claimed, the mere fact of his Asperger's diagnosis would not be sufficient to prove that. He would need more detailed testimony from people who know him.