Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 9:40 am

I tried CBD oil for pain relief but it didn't really reduce it probably because it was a low % blend as that is all I can afford.
You possibly have to take a higher % blend if treating more bothersome conditions from what I've read.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 12:36 pm

BrokenPieces wrote:
CosmicRuss wrote:
Natural things I tried previously were SAD light therapy and St. John's Wort tablets, I had to cease with these tablets after being put on a blood pressure tablet which cause cardiac rhythm issues [so do check first].
I was put on Citalopram but then was suffering from neck pain and put on Amitriptyline too but this combination started to make me feel like I was having a heart attack!! ! !
Now on Duloxetine (Cymbalta) which has significantly raised my mood and simmered anxiety.

I see you haven't listed that so maybe worth a mention during your appointment.

Thank you. My sister told me about St. John's Wort. I forgot to mention it and ask if others have used it.

Has anyone had success with CBD oil for treating depression? I know many use it to control anxiety, and a friend of mine uses it for her migraines.

I find the CBD oil I use to help my mood though it isn't hemp oil, it has 2% THC and 24.4% CBD in it which is a lot more THC than you find in hemp oil (0.3% THC or less). What state do you live in? Is Kratom legal in your state?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Mar 2019, 4:04 pm

My mom had me try St. John's Wort as a teen & I tried it again as an adult & I was more moody on it both times.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 8:07 pm

Noca wrote:
I find the CBD oil I use to help my mood though it isn't hemp oil, it has 2% THC and 24.4% CBD in it which is a lot more THC than you find in hemp oil (0.3% THC or less). What state do you live in? Is Kratom legal in your state?
Unsure if this is for me to reply to......but I'm in UK where oil containing THC is only prescribed in exceptional circumstances and I believe only ONE child gets it. Kratom is now illegal here too. :roll:

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 4:35 am

I've never heard of Kratom. I live in Illinois.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 6:39 am

It's been my experience that depression is chronic, with periods of remission and exacerbation, and that while medication treats some of the symptoms of depression; it's not a cure. At times in my life medication has been life-saving, but in my case successful treatment depends upon a host of other things, including meditation, shinrin yoku, and tai chi, but most importantly re-training my mind to think differently. What I've found to be most helpful for that has been the practice of Buddhism and rational emotive therapy.

After years of extensive field research, I've concluded that drugs and alcohol don't help; they actually make it worse.

May peace be with you.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 10:38 am

Piobaire wrote:
It's been my experience that depression is chronic, with periods of remission and exacerbation, and that while medication treats some of the symptoms of depression; it's not a cure. At times in my life medication has been life-saving, but in my case successful treatment depends upon a host of other things, including meditation, shinrin yoku, and tai chi, but most importantly re-training my mind to think differently. What I've found to be most helpful for that has been the practice of Buddhism and rational emotive therapy.

After years of extensive field research, I've concluded that drugs and alcohol don't help; they actually make it worse.

May peace be with you.

Thank you. Yes I know that there is no cure for depression. I know for sure alcohol doesn't help, and can actually make it much worse.

I'm thinking I may have to do natural things to help treat the symptoms.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 10:52 am

I don't know if this is a solution, but after trying several anti-depressants and getting varied degrees of results from them, I've been learning to cope with my level of functioning. Sort of learning to ignore the depressive thoughts, feelings, and just doing what I need to do rather than waiting to feel like doing it. Its not perfect, but I can get through the day and do what need s doing. I just take the joy where I can find it, and know I'm doing my best at any given moment (even if my best isn't so great)

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 8:50 pm

I had ECT back in 2005/6. I was in hospital and had tried a number of medications. Nothing was helping and I had been there for nearly three months so ECT was suggested. I had to get 2 psychiatrists to agree to me having it and I had to sign a form about the risks. Which I didn't care about because I had suicidal depression.

I had 8 treatments and the difference was big. I got my sense of humour back and I didn't sleep all day. I went out with friends to the movies and markets. I was discharged from hospital.

Only thing is, I lost a crapload of memory. 2005 doesn't exist for me. I can't remember when I first met my future husband on holiday in Melbourne. I can't remember selling my flat. I can't remember my mum going to hospital in an emergency to have surgery. Big events and I can't remember any of it.

I do believe my inattentive ADHD got worse because of ECT. I can't prove it though so there's nothing to be done.

When I had ECT, they placed the electrodes on either side of my head. Nowadays doctors place them on one side and the middle of the forehead (I think). Whichever, they have changed it and it means there is less memory loss.

BrokenPieces, I hope that whatever you try, it works. There's nothing worse than being at rock bottom for no reason, the depression is just there, hanging off you. I was like that before ECT and have been there once since, in 2013. That time medication saved me.