Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 4:32 pm

I'm wondering if there is anyone here diagnosed or undiagnosed on the spectrum that is also one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Or did you used to be and did you leave? If so, why?

I read that it is much more likely for Aspies to be atheists than to be religious which I find very interesting, and it seems logical to me. I've also read a couple of examples of former JWs leaving the religion after being diagnosed.

If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask. I'm not an argumentative person nor do I always think I'm right, so don't worry about me trying to force my religion on you or convert you. I'll just try to answer your questions if I can.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 4:37 pm

According to The Watchtower, when is the Apocalypse/Armageddon/End-of-the-World going to happen?

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 4:41 pm

At Matthew 24:36 Jesus says, "Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father." (The son mentioned here is Jesus.) So no one knows except Jehovah God.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 4:49 pm

BrokenPieces wrote:
At Matthew 24:36 Jesus says, "Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father." (The son mentioned here is Jesus.) So no one knows except Jehovah God.
Understood.

However, I am referring to the predictions as written in The Watchtower since the inception of the cult.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 5:07 pm

There is no specific date that the Watchtower mentions predicted for the end (or Armageddon) to come. It talks about the last days in which a great tribulation (Matthew 24:21, 22) and the conclusion of the system of things (Matthew 24:3) will occur, and signs to look for to know when it is near but no specific date.

If I'm not answering your question, I'm sorry. Please let me know what you're looking for.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 5:23 pm

BrokenPieces wrote:
There is no specific date that the Watchtower mentions predicted for the end (or Armageddon) to come...
Oh, really? :roll: See below.
BrokenPieces wrote:
If I'm not answering your question, I'm sorry. Please let me know what you're looking for.
More entries for this list:

1874 (??/??) The end of the world according to Charles Taze Russell. This was to become the first in a long string of failed doomsday prophecies by him and members of his group. (Gould p.50, Kyle p.93)

1875 (to 1880) Charles Taze Russell forms the "Zion's Watchtower Bible and Tract Society", and the "Bible Student Movement", later to become the Jehovah's Witnesses.

1878 (??/??) The end of the world according to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. (Kyle p.93)

1879 (07/01) Charles Taze Russell on July 1, 1879 publishes the first issue of "Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence", with the stated purpose of drawing attention to Russell's belief that people of the time were "living "in the last days" "the day of the Lord"—"the end" of the Gospel age," and that "the dawn of the "new" age are facts, not only discernible by the close student of the Word, led by the spirit, but the outward signs recognizable by the world bear the same testimony.

1881 (??/??) The end of the world according to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. (Kyle p.93)

1908 (??/??) Watchtower Bible and Tract Society change the name of their periodical to "The Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence".

1910 (??/??) The end of the world according to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. (Kyle p.93)

1914 (??/??) Charles Taze Russell, founder of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, predicts the return of Jesus Christ in this year.

1914 (??/??) End of World; Charles Taze Russel, Jehovah's Witnesses; later explained that Michael (e.g., Jesus) had defeated Satan in heaven.

1914 (??/??) Jesus invisible and quiet return to the Earth, according to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. (Jehovah's Witnesses, Book: This Means Everlasting Life, page 221) "So A.D. 1914 marks the time of Christ's invisible return in spirit." Explained after they said he would return in 1914

1914 (??/??) was one of the more important estimates of the start of the war of Armageddon by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. They computed 1914 from prophecy in the book of Daniel, Chapter 4. The writings referred to "seven times". The WTS interpreted each "time" as equal to 360 days, giving a total of 2520 days. This was further interpreted as representing 2520 years, measured from the starting date of 607 BCE. This gave 1914 as the target date.

1914 (10/01) The end of the world according to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. In fact, they viewed World War I as the Battle of Armageddon, even though none of the battles of WWI took place anywhere near Armageddon. (Skinner p.102)

1915 (??/??) Watchtower Bible and Tract Society predicts the start of the War of Armageddon - the destruction, by the forces of nature, divided humankind, and angels of God, of all non-JW people and property. This implies the death of over 99% of the human race.

1918 (??/??) Watchtower Bible and Tract Society predicts the start of the War of Armageddon - the destruction, by the forces of nature, divided humankind, and angels of God, of all non-JW people and property. This implies the death of over 99% of the human race.

1918 (??/??) The end of the world according to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. (Kyle p.93)

1918 (??/??) Watchtower Bible and Tract Society predicts the return of Jesus Christ.

1920 (??/??) Watchtower Bible and Tract Society predicts the start of the War of Armageddon - the destruction, by the forces of nature, divided humankind, and angels of God, of all non-JW people and property. This implies the death of over 99% of the human race.

1920 (??/??) Watchtower Bible and Tract Society predicts the return of Jesus Christ.

1925 (??/??) Watchtower Bible and Tract Society predicts the start of the War of Armageddon - the destruction, by the forces of nature, divided humankind, and angels of God, of all non-JW people and property. This implies the death of over 99% of the human race. Watchtower magazine predicted: "The year 1925 is a date definitely and clearly marked in the Scriptures, even more clearly than that of 1914; but it would be presumptuous on the part of any faithful follower of the Lord to assume just what the Lord is going to do during that year."

1925 (??/??) The return of Jesus Christ and the end of the world according to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. (Kyle p.93)

1931 (??/??) The name Jehovah's Witness, based on Isaiah 43:10–12, is formally adopted by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society to distinguish themselves from other Bible Student groups and symbolize a break with the legacy of Russell's traditions.

1941 (??/??) Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Bible and Tract Society predicts the start of the War of Armageddon - the destruction, by the forces of nature, divided humankind, and angels of God, of all non-JW people and property. This implies the death of over 99% of the human race.

1941 (??/??) The end of the world according to the Jehovah's Witnesses. (Shaw p.72)

1941 (??/??) The Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Bible and Tract Society predicts the return of Jesus Christ.

1975 (??/??) Armageddon, 1975; Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Bible and Tract Society; (Various publication, cited in Newsweek Oct. 15, 1984)

1975 (??/??) Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Bible and Tract Society predicts the start of the War of Armageddon - the destruction, by the forces of nature, divided humankind, and angels of God, of all non-JW people and property. This implies the death of over 99% of the human race. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society selected 1975 as its next main prediction. This was based on the estimate "according to reliable Bible chronology Adam was created in the year 4026 BCE, likely in the autumn of the year, at the end of the sixth day of creation." They believed that the year 1975 a promising date for the end of the world, as it was the 6,000th anniversary of Adam's creation. Exactly 1,000 years was to pass for each day of the creation week. This prophecy also failed. The current estimate is that the end of the world as we know it will happen precisely 6000 years after the creation of Eve. There is no way of knowing when this happened.

1975 (??/??) The end of the world according to the Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. (Kyle p.93)

1975 (??/??) The Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Bible and Tract Society predicts the return of Jesus Christ. 1975 looked likely as it was computed as the 6000th anniversary of the creation of Adam in the Garden of Eden in 4026 BCE.

1975 (??/??) The Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Bible and Tract Society were back at it in 1975. The failure of the forecast did not affect the growth of the movement. The Watchtower magazine, a major Witness periodical, has over 13 million subscribers.

1984 (??/??) The Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Bible and Tract Society made sure in 1984 that no one else would be able to top their record of most wrong doomsday predictions. The Witnesses record is currently holding at nine. The years are: 1874, 1878, 1881, 1910, 1914, 1918, 1925, 1975, and 1984. Lately, the JW's are claiming they're out of the prediction business, but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. They'll be back.

1984 (10/02) The end of the world according to the Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. (Shermer p.203, Kyle p.91)

1994 (??/??) After promising themselves they would not make any more end time predictions, the Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Bible and Tract Society fell off the wagon and proclaimed 1994 as the conclusion of an 80 year generation - the year 1914 was the starting point.

1994 (??/??) Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Bible and Tract Society predicts the start of the War of Armageddon - the destruction, by the forces of nature, divided humankind, and angels of God, of all non-JW people and property. This implies the death of over 99% of the human race.

1995 (11/??) "Armageddon Delayed!" In early November 1995 Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Bible and Tract Society made newspaper headlines around the world. This time it was not a record crowd at a stadium convention or even a controversial blood transfusion case that attracted international attention, but the postponement of the End. One headline read: "Armageddon Not Coming" and the related article stated that Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Bible and Tract Society had announced that "Armageddon [had] been delayed and [that] the end of the world [was] no longer nigh." (Victoria Times-Colonist, Sunday 12 November 1995, p. A2) click here for full details

1999 (??/??) End of the world according to the Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. (Skinner p.102, Mann p.xiii)

2001 (01/01) Jehovah's Witnesses / Watchtower Bible and Tract Society predicts the start of the War of Armageddon - the destruction, by the forces of nature, divided humankind, and angels of God, of all non-JW people and property. This implies the death of over 99% of the human race by 2000 AD.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 5:47 pm

Also, what's up with all of this "Disfellowhipping"?

In the 1950s when disfellowshipping became common, Witnesses were to have nothing to do with expelled members, not conversing with or acknowledging them. Family members of expelled individuals were permitted occasional "contacts absolutely necessary in matters pertaining to family interests," but could not discuss spiritual matters with them. In 1974 The Watchtower, acknowledging some unbalanced Witnesses had displayed unkind, inhumane and possibly cruel attitudes to those expelled, relaxed restrictions on family contact, allowing families to choose for themselves the extent of association, including whether or not to discuss some spiritual matters. In 1981, a reversal of policy occurred, with Witnesses instructed to avoid all spiritual interaction with disfellowshipped ones, including with close relatives. Witnesses were instructed not to greet disfellowshipped persons. Parents were permitted to care for the physical needs of a disfellowshipped minor child; ill parents or physically or emotionally ill child could be accepted back into the home "for a time". Witnesses were instructed not to eat with disfellowshipped relatives and were warned that emotional influence could soften their resolve. In 1980 the Witnesses' Brooklyn headquarters advised traveling overseers that a person need not be promoting "apostate views" to warrant disfellowshipping; it advised that "appropriate judicial action" be taken against a person who "continues to believe the apostate ideas and rejects what he has been provided" through The Watchtower. The rules on shunning were extended in 1981 to include those who had resigned from the religion voluntarily.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 5:48 pm

As I said, I am not looking to argue with anyone. I was wondering if you were asking out of curiosity or not.

As for 1914, that prediction was the beginning of the last days, not Armageddon or the end of the world.

Yes, some did believe that the end was coming in several different years. When it didn't happen, they became discouraged and left the religion.

I wasn't around back in most of those dates listed and for those I was, I don't remember seeing or reading about those predictions. (I'm not saying they don't exist.) We do not deny that we made predictions in the past and they did not come true. Currently though, if you look at jw.org and try to find a specific date for when we believe Armageddon is coming, you won't find one because of the scriptures cited above.

If anyone has a legitimate question out of curiosity, please feel free to ask. I started this thread to look for other JWs and to answer questions from people who want to know answers from someone who's actually in this religion. If you just disagree with my religion and beliefs, or you think I'm wrong and you're right, you can say that without asking me a question, waiting for my answer and then answering your own question.

Thank you. :)

Last edited by BrokenPieces on 04 Mar 2019, 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 5:51 pm

So, you're not trying to recruit members into your "religion", right?

Because if you are, then I have a LOT more material to share.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 5:55 pm

BrokenPieces wrote:
don't worry about me trying to force my religion on you or convert you.

No, I guess I should've included 'recruit' in this. I'm not trying to recruit anyone. Or convert anyone. Or force or push my religious beliefs on you or anyone else.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 6:02 pm

BrokenPieces wrote:
BrokenPieces wrote:
don't worry about me trying to force my religion on you or convert you.
No, I guess I should've included 'recruit' in this. I'm not trying to recruit anyone. Or convert anyone. Or force or push my religious beliefs on you or anyone else.
Very well, then. Carry on!

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 6:41 am

I'm European (JWs are quite rare here) so I'm just generally familiar with the doctrine, more so with the behaviour though.

1. Why are they encouraged to go door to door? It's considered extremely rude here and nobody is willing to talk to them under such circumstances. And why is a script being used instead of having a more civilised, respectful exchange? Most people don't react well to hectoring speech or threats. (I'm sorry if it sounds rude and you don't have to answer, I'm genuinely curious why such defeatist and inefficient methods would be favoured).

2. With most people I've talked to, it turns out that the main reason for being attached to their religion is being raised into it. Is there anything unique to your religion you think you would particularly like or find valuable even if you weren't born into it?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 9:18 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
... Is there anything unique to your religion you think you would particularly like or find valuable even if you weren't born into it?
Well, here are a couple of items that may interest you...

1) The Watchtower Society teaches its witnesses that Jesus was crucified on a stake not on a cross. However even history can prove crucifixion happens on a cross, not a stake. Matthew 27:37 and John 20:25 are far more accurate with history when it comes to crucifixion. One, Jesus had to be crucified on a cross for the sign to be over His head, not His hands. Two, you have to consider that nails were pierced through each wrists so two nails and not just one.

2) They teach Jesus is not Jehovah but merely a created being. Their religion has been against the idea of the Trinity which leads them to believe in "another" Jesus -- someone other than who was described in the Gospels. Even their own Bible actually says Jesus is Jehovah and not just a man who lived a sinless life. Isaiah 45:22 and Philippians 2:10-11 declare this truth -- (1) all bow down before God and (2), all bow down before Jesus Christ Himself. You must consider this also that in John 20:28 that Thomas called Jesus "My Lord and My God". If Jesus were not God, He would have rebuked Thomas but instead He received the worship due to Him.

As usual, please check these facts for yourself. Even if you are an atheist or agnostic, it is important to know what the Gospels say about the divinity of the Christ, and how greatly human error and self-deception can blind people to what the Gospels actually say, if only to refute the arguments of someone who is trying to pull a fast one on you.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 11:21 am

Just to make a few things crystal clear: I'm not Christian, I haven't been baptised and I've never been a member or participant in any organised or disorganised religion, which I guess technically makes me a heathen. I have no intention whatsoever of changing that.

I did read the Bible and a few other religious texts and I find religion, or more precisely the history of religion and the psychological/sociological aspects that come with it quite interesting.

That's interesting information, Fnord, but I'm in no danger of being converted and if there's one thing I'll never underestimate is the human ability and enthusiasm for self-deception. And doctrines in general are not particularly concerned with respecting historical fact or accuracy unless it benefits them in some way.

I'm genuinely curious if I'll ever run into somebody who's reasons for sticking to the religion they were born into don't boil down to conformism, habit, apathy, convenience or indoctrination. The rare JWs I meet around these parts are only interested in recruiting or monologue, not so much dialogue, so who knows, maybe the lady has something interesting to say :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 11:24 am

Jehovah's Witnesses are proselytizers---but the vast majority are not forceful in their proselytizing.

You can have at least a somewhat reasonable conversation with one; they use "quiet persuasion," rather than loud preaching.

It is irritating when they knock on your door when you're trying to relax from a hard week's work.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 11:31 am

-fnord, my bible and other translations does not say that Jesus is Jehovah. Right after the scripture at John 20:28, in verse 31 it says "but these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God;" in the King James Version.

At John 4:34, it says "Jesus said to them: “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work." If Jesus is Jehovah, who sent him? Who's work is he doing? If it's his own, why would he say this?

Mark 14:36 says "And he said: “Abba, Father, all things are possible for you; remove this cup from me. Yet, not what I want, but what you want.” If Jesus is Jehovah, then he has no father. Who is he talking about in this verse, then? And why does he say 'not what I want but what you want'?