Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

enz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 11:45 pm

I don't care about how long the book is just that it's writing style makes it enjoyable and easy to read

Last edited by enz on 05 Mar 2019, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 11:50 pm

Who will be reading the book? Age bracket, interests, genre, fiction / nonfiction, reading level ?

enz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 11:54 pm

I'm 31 male. As long as the book isn't mostly about romance

I like science fiction most

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 12:12 am

Do you prefer male characters, or it doesn't matter? I can't really help with Sci Fi, but many other members can.

I was thinking maybe The Book Thief (Markus Zusak), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Mark Haddon), Holes (Louis Sachar), A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine L'Engle), or Eggs and Maniac Magee (Jerry Spinelli). These are on the easier / younger audience side but still very interesting, well-written stories. For older characters I'd think of Hunger Games, or Suzanne Collins' Mockingjay series, but I haven't read those myself and you've likely seen the films. I'm also thinking anything by Kurt Vonnegut. I'll keep thinking and I'll ask my Librarian friend.

* I love Gilmore Girls *

Zinnia86
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 12:20 am

If you haven't read them yet, the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams are both written in an easy-to-read style. They are both science fiction.

Zinnia86
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 12:25 am

Also the Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffery. And any book by Mercedes Lackey, although hers are more fantasy than sci-fi. Both of these series do have a bit of romance, though, not sure how much is too much for you.

Last edited by Zinnia86 on 05 Mar 2019, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 12:27 am

thanks for those, I don't really care about the main characters gender IsabellaLinton

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 12:32 am

HG Wells, The Time Machine

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 12:39 am

Before Adam by Jack London was an easy read and imo overlooked as far as famous novels he wrote, even though I think it's might very well be justifiably dated in it's perceptions about early humans.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach was an interesting and not too long example of xenofiction (stories from an animal's viewpoint) and neat if you don't mind non-secular undertones.

Haiku poetry compilations are meant to be 'intellectually crisp' and brief hence I would suggest them esp. when it comes to poetry which (to me I ordinarily find) enjoyable and 'smoothly' paced reading esp. if your not keen on understanding the depths of it.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 10:03 pm

Animal Magnetism by Rita Mae Brown

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 9:49 pm

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2019, 3:46 pm

Zinnia86 wrote:
Also the Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffery. And any book by Mercedes Lackey, although hers are more fantasy than sci-fi. Both of these series do have a bit of romance, though, not sure how much is too much for you.

In the Mercedes Lackey department, the Obsidian Trilogy is much lighter in the romance department than the Valdemar series or Halfblood chronicles. Also people complaining about waiting for Martin to write books haven't been waiting 16 years for the 4th Halfblood book (obviously Andre Norton's death has a lot to do with this).

I don't know how "easy" they are to read, but Michael Crichton has a lot of nice near sci-fi books (Jurassic Park being the most famous).

Stephen King's Dark Tower series could largely be considered science fiction. It's narratively complex, but the writing is simple. Again it depends what you mean by "easy."