Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

truthseeker124
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Mar 2019, 4:16 pm

Have any gay men seen a positive experience working with a gay therapist...specifically male? I'm 25 and came out when I was 21...but I still feel some inhibition and negative feelings surrounding my sexuality. I feel guilty sometimes about it because I know there are people struggling a lot. I'm currently seeing a therapist and I really like her...however I do hesitate to discuss issues surrounding my sexuality and aspects of my lifestyle. I'm not sure whether I should ask her comfortability level talking about these kinds of things or if I should seek out a different therapist. Errrgghhh.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 4:52 pm

I've had Gay and Straight therapists, male and female. For me at least, the only thing that really mattered was being able to relate to the person and feel understood. Sexuality of the therapist doesn't really enter in to it for me. As long as they are not biased against my own sexuality.

You'll definitely want to ask whether or not your current therapist is comfortable talking about your sexuality. A godd therapist will encourage that, or at least refer you to someone else. If they can't do that for you, find another...that's a big red flag.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 8:43 pm

Same as Daniel

When a professional refuses gay customers, it is "discrimination"

But the client can choose any counselor

Plenty of straight counselors are well versed on gay issues

Just being gay is not a job skill

Not all gays are well versed in gay issues

truthseeker124
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Mar 2019, 1:48 pm

That's both true. Thanks for reminding me of some of those things. I'd definitely preface it before. Some of my issues are directly about sex...kind of R rated stuff. Is this something people discuss in therapy sometimes? I guess I just have no idea if that's normal.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2019, 3:42 pm

truthseeker124 wrote:
That's both true. Thanks for reminding me of some of those things. I'd definitely preface it before. Some of my issues are directly about sex...kind of R rated stuff. Is this something people discuss in therapy sometimes? I guess I just have no idea if that's normal.

It's perfectly natural...our sexuality is at once a big and small part of who we are. I'm in therapy now for a number of issues, and yes, sex does come up. Its your therapist's job to let you know if they can't handle something like that, and act accordingly.