Page 10 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 5:37 pm

Fnord wrote:

It's only the "Human Spirit" that carries on into other people's future lives.

How does the "spirit" maintain memory without brain cells?

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 5:58 pm

I don't really see why reincarnation matters. If it happens, I don't remember my last life, so why would my current life matter to my next life, or my next life to my current life.

Practically speaking, reincarnation calls for a "soul equilibrium," which based on the expansion of life to consume more and more inorganic resources has me thinking its not real.

I suppose there could be an alien planet out there that is contracting in life's expanse on our planet. Maybe that's the right planet, and all the autistics were supposed to be sent there.

Max1951
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2019, 7:30 pm

Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Spirit is passed from forbears to progeny via the influence of earlier generations upon successive generations. So there's always brain cells maintaining the memory. And each generation adds to the human heritage and passes on their innovations and new knowledge. I think it's a nice way of looking at things.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 7:40 pm

Max1951 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Spirit is passed from forbears to progeny via the influence of earlier generations upon successive generations. So there's always brain cells maintaining the memory. And each generation adds to the human heritage and passes on their innovations and new knowledge. I think it's a nice way of looking at things.

And yet there is no evidence whatsoever that this spiritual transference enhances the wisdom of any child born...
I have never heard of an instance where a newly born baby turns to its mother and says:
"Damn, mum, that was a really, really tight squeeze!...
And btw, how are the Mets scoring these days?"... :mrgreen:

Max1951
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2019, 8:52 pm

Antrax wrote:
I don't really see why reincarnation matters. If it happens, I don't remember my last life, so why would my current life matter to my next life, or my next life to my current life.

I can understand what you say. However, it gives me comfort to believe that I might somehow add something beneficial to the progress of the human race, or at least make an attempt not to detract from human progress. I guess that I see it as a living legacy. It gives my life purpose and meaning in my mind. It is my truth. How I see things.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 10:36 pm

Max1951 wrote:
Antrax wrote:

I can understand what you say. However, it gives me comfort to believe that I might somehow add something beneficial to the progress of the human race, or at least make an attempt not to detract from human progress. I guess that I see it as a living legacy. It gives my life purpose and meaning in my mind. It is my truth. How I see things.

I am not saying it is a bad thing...
Just that altruistic feelings are a product of the evolutionary process...
If you want a sense of existential meaning in life, be my guest...
But it doesn't change the reality of life, the universe and everything/k... :wink:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2019, 3:15 pm

Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Generations overlap. Sometimes as many as five generations of one family may be alive (although this seems rare). The personalities of the previous generations are likely to imprint upon younger generations in the same household, family, neighborhood or community.

That doesn't mean that kids today are clones of kids from 50 years ago, but that one child's personality may be an aggregate of all the previous generations that he or she has had direct contact with.

In forensic science, Locard's Exchange Principle holds that the perpetrator of a crime will bring something into the crime scene and leave with something from it. This may also hold true (to some extent) with the personalities of people...

"Oh, you're acting just like your grandparents! We never should have let you spend the summer with them!"

Max1951
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2019, 6:41 pm

Fnord wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Generations overlap. Sometimes as many as five generations of one family may be alive (although this seems rare). The personalities of the previous generations are likely to imprint upon younger generations in the same household, family, neighborhood or community.

That doesn't mean that kids today are clones of kids from 50 years ago, but that one child's personality may be an aggregate of all the previous generations that he or she has had direct contact with.

In forensic science, Locard's Exchange Principle holds that the perpetrator of a crime will bring something into the crime scene and leave with something from it. This may also hold true (to some extent) with the personalities of people...

"Oh, you're acting just like your grandparents! We never should have let you spend the summer with them!"

I agree with you. Each person is unique because each person has a unique set of experience, but no single person experiences everything, so nobody has benefited by receiving 100% of the cultural heritage. And that unique set of experience is what we bring to the crime scene, to use your analogy, and we take away a new experience, which , possibly, shapes our personality going forward. Pieces of other peoples' souls can get stuck to ours through our mutual experience of each other. It's all good.