Page 8 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Hsingai
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2019, 5:01 pm

Claradoon wrote:
"Life is what you make it." - Life is what you make it as you play the cards you are dealt.

If your smart you palm cards from the previous hand and cheat on future ones. but most people are too honest to do that.

Hsingai
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2019, 5:15 pm

Fnord wrote:
Hsingai wrote:
Round eathers! THey are just as delusional as Flat earthers the fact that they are right doesn't mean that their thinking is an better.
Actually, it does! It's because our thinking is better that delusion is stripped away and truth is revealed.

if A then B doesn't mean if B then A.

A truth being revealed doesn't strip away delusions.
A clock that always says it's 2 o'clock is still just a broken when it's 2 o'clock.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 5:20 pm

Hsingai wrote:
If I wasn't schizophrenic I would probably believe in the Supernatural too. But I believe in providence instead. For example When I moves to texas I couldn't find my favorite shirt so was sure that I lost it. 5 years and I never see it again. I move to MS and one day my favorite shirt is at the top of my laundry. Maybe it has just hiding all this time, maybe my mother found another one just like at the thrift store and bought it for me, maybe I wake up in a different but similar reality each day. I don't know, but I am confident that it didn't involve reality being changed in someway not allowed by nature.

I'd add - I don't believe in the 'supernatural' so much as the yet unknown natural, just that I don't subscribe to the idea popular these days that matter and natural phenomena are strictly unconscious. That last bit is what I think the evidence points away from.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 5:21 pm

A beach toilet that doesn’t flush, is still just a broken toilet even when a tsunami hits.

What the...

Hsingai
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2019, 6:18 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Hsingai wrote:
If I wasn't schizophrenic I would probably believe in the Supernatural too. But I believe in providence instead. For example When I moves to texas I couldn't find my favorite shirt so was sure that I lost it. 5 years and I never see it again. I move to MS and one day my favorite shirt is at the top of my laundry. Maybe it has just hiding all this time, maybe my mother found another one just like at the thrift store and bought it for me, maybe I wake up in a different but similar reality each day. I don't know, but I am confident that it didn't involve reality being changed in someway not allowed by nature.

I'd add - I don't believe in the 'supernatural' so much as the yet unknown natural, just that I don't subscribe to the idea popular these days that matter and natural phenomena are strictly unconscious. That last bit is what I think the evidence points away from.

I don't believe that knowledge isn't a physical process. In fact according to Quantum Mechanics the fundamental building block of physics is the exchange of information.
Standford's Quantum Mechanics course is a real good explanation. If you can understand what a square root is them you can understand QM that the hardest concept. Thou the Standford Quantum Entanglements course wasn't vary clear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzhlfbW ... 9CB1D13841

The New Agey explanation is that observations collapse the wave functions and observations require a conscious mind. since Observations are the same thing as entanglements and subatomic particles can get entangled then subatomic particles are conscious minds.

Or more technically Observations are a symmetric operator in QM so if you observe something that something observers you.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 7:05 pm

That could be so, though I really feel like we're a long ways away from having a handle on things. There is more convergence starting to happen between physics, neurology, and subjective philosophies, that's promising, but I don't think it'll really pick up a whole lot of steam until the money is in that area. The financial incentives may come but I think they're still decades off.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 7:15 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
That could be so, though I really feel like we're a long ways away from having a handle on things. There is more convergence starting to happen between physics, neurology, and subjective philosophies, that's promising, but I don't think it'll really pick up a whole lot of steam until the money is in that area. The financial incentives may come but I think they're still decades off.
Even if reincarnation is proven to be real, where would the financial incentive be?

Bequeathing your estate to yourself while dodging inheritance taxes? Unless you could accurately predict the identity of your next incarnation, your estate is likely to go to your immediate heirs, especially since they would have more legal proof of their identities than you. Inheriting from your previous incarnation would also require extreme proof of identity.

Stashing your wealth in a secure place before your death, and then recovering it after your re-birth? Someone else could find it while you're still in limbo between lives. Someone could claim the secure place as his or her own, and thus limit your access to your secret stash. Your stash could be hidden in a secret vault under a Bel-Air mansion, yet you get re-born in an aboriginal village somewhere in the Outback. War could be declared between the country of your previous incarnation and the country of your current one. A lot can happen between lives, especially if your time in Limbo is measured in centuries, and not seconds.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 8:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
Even if reincarnation is proven to be real, where would the financial incentive be?

Bequeathing your estate to yourself while dodging inheritance taxes? Unless you could accurately predict the identity of your next incarnation, your estate is likely to go to your immediate heirs, especially since they would have more legal proof of their identities than you. Inheriting from your previous incarnation would also require extreme proof of identity.

Stashing your wealth in a secure place before your death, and then recovering it after your re-birth? Someone else could find it while you're still in limbo between lives. Someone could claim the secure place as his or her own, and thus limit your access to your secret stash. Your stash could be hidden in a secret vault under a Bel-Air mansion, yet you get re-born in an aboriginal village somewhere in the Outback. War could be declared between the country of your previous incarnation and the country of your current one. A lot can happen between lives, especially if your time in Limbo is measured in centuries, and not seconds.

We weren't even on that topic, you can check the chain of quotes to get some context.

As for what proof of reincarnation would be worth? Probably knowing that if we have a system that's stealing from the future or destroying future conditions to gorge ourselves in the now it's probably better if more people knew that they would be their own great grandchildren or the equivalent, ie. that if they get born into a world similar to Max Max or Book of Eli that they'll have their own past selves to blame.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 4:51 pm

They aired today a documentary program on a Christian TV (Christianity rejects reincarnation) about the Druze’s reincarnation stories in depth, I wish I can find it subtitled in English.

I dunno if this is a kind of a cult/sect group conspiracy, but there’s really something strange happening among the Druze community, story after story of kids and adults remembering details of their “previous life”, they even interviewed a teen who claims he remembered his previous parents, went there to visit them , and proved to them by telling them family secrets - and now he is living between two families.
Another story on a grown up who claims he died in a car accident, he went to his “home in previous life” and met his “family and kids of previouslife” there, and told them where exactly he hides his rifle, and got it “right”.
He also developed a “family” relations with the previous’ life “family”, he even call them daughters and grandaughters... creepy. Those “Family ties” are that strong.

As someone who shares a country with this sect, I did hear countless of such stories from Druzes, it is not very uncommon for a Druze to have a “sibling/family from previous life” ... and they invite them to dinners and to important family events like Christmas (yes they do make a feast lunch on Christmas).

A very weird community, I wonder if their clerics do some kind of guided brainwashing on selected kids just to keep their faith “proven”? but yet Druzism doesn’t preach their faith, a non-Druze can’t join them. I wonder what’s really going on.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 5:01 pm

Here, this is a similar program, check the interviewing kids part at the beginning, just watch the first 10 mins, check the creepy story at 16:30 as well:

I really wonder what they do to these kids lol.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 27 Mar 2019, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 5:07 pm

We all have incarnations where we don't believe in re-incarnation.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 5:13 pm

Well I refuse to believe that "good" people go to heaven and "evil" people go to hell. Most of the things that used to be considered moral back in the day are now thought of as pretty monstrous. Like forcing raped women to marry their rapists or burning homosexuals and heretics at the stake. Nobody ever thought that was "evil" back in the day.

I think that wherever it is we go when we die we are all headed to the same place.

...even if it turns out to be nothing but a hole in the ground with the worms eating out our eyeballs.

Hsingai
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2019, 6:48 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
He also developed a “family” relations with the previous’ life “family”, he even call them daughters and grandaughters... creepy. Those “Family ties” are that strong.

My aunt is called mom by a girl that she let live with her so the girl could continue to go to school. She eats Thanksgiving dinner with us too.

Quote:
but yet Druzism doesn’t preach their faith, a non-Druze can’t join them. I wonder what’s really going on.
Don't you mean Proselytize? I find it hard to believe they don't give speeches about their faith to their members.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 7:31 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Well I refuse to believe that "good" people go to heaven and "evil" people go to hell. Most of the things that used to be considered moral back in the day are now thought of as pretty monstrous. Like forcing raped women to marry their rapists or burning homosexuals and heretics at the stake. Nobody ever thought that was "evil" back in the day.

It was even considered righteous...
And slaughtering every man, woman and child to possess land rights was simply obeying the word of god...
Charming...

TW1ZTY wrote:
I think that wherever it is we go when we die we are all headed to the same place.

...even if it turns out to be nothing but a hole in the ground with the worms eating out our eyeballs.

No mate...
The crows go for the eyes...
Worms prefer the gut... :wink:

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 7:36 pm

Pepe wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

It was even considered righteous...
And slaughtering every man, woman and child to possess land rights was simply obeying the word of god...
Charming...

TW1ZTY wrote:

No mate...
The crows go for the eyes...
Worms prefer the gut... :wink:

Ever heard this catchy song? :skull:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 7:54 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:

Ever heard this catchy song? :skull:

No...
I was fortunate not to...