Page 5 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2019, 8:27 pm

wowiexist wrote:
I have always been curious about it so I am just wondering if anyone believes in it.

This isn't some sort of black ops culling program initiative, is it? 8O

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2019, 10:27 pm

I think Pepe said something either in this thread or another thread, ie. that as aspies we tend to go really deep into researching special interests and getting to know the ins and outs of them, that we quite often don't research other areas and count on a surface skim. This topic has always seemed lop-sided to me because it's almost guaranteed that profound and strident skeptics are coming from that place - ie. they rarely ever know the ins and outs of the topic, the best research, the best cases to be made, the closest I've seen to come to that and read much on these things were shlaifu and the second (female - not the Resourced-Based Economy MC) incarnation of Adamantium and even there the digestion of this material is almost always bulldozed with psychological theories. You have the reverse of this, lets say, with the bible because something like the bible unravels the more you read it. With the rest of the examination of the world of psi it seems like the opposite, and when you have a die-hard skeptic actually give it a chance and explore it they might still stake their core in something like eliminative materialism but, I think Susan Blackmore is a great example of this, she's at least convinced of the depth of a mystery that other people are papering over.

That's probably one of the things that's the most astounding to me on these topics - ie. that almost anywhere else, other than politics or 'spirituality', everyone's competing for the best set of facts where here and in politics it seems like people are trying to find the most perfect designer set of blinders. I don't base that suggestion on people disagreeing with me and if it weren't quite a bit more than that, ie. entire style and approach to information, I wouldn't feel confident that I was seeing past my own pet distortions (the assumption goes that if you could see them you wouldn't have them) but there are tells which can inform you - even if someone fully agrees with you in theory - that they agree with you for poorly thought out reasons and you can see just as well when they disagree and it's as if you're trying to speak to a part of them that's hiding a missing limb or a gunshot wound from themselves, something that they can't explore... almost out of a sense sometimes that I think it would unravel them.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 5:20 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think Pepe said something either in this thread or another thread, ie. that as aspies we tend to go really deep into researching special interests and getting to know the ins and outs of them, that we quite often don't research other areas and count on a surface skim. This topic has always seemed lop-sided to me because it's almost guaranteed that profound and strident skeptics are coming from that place - ie. they rarely ever know the ins and outs of the topic, the best research, the best cases to be made, the closest I've seen to come to that and read much on these things were shlaifu and the second (female - not the Resourced-Based Economy MC) incarnation of Adamantium and even there the digestion of this material is almost always bulldozed with psychological theories. You have the reverse of this, lets say, with the bible because something like the bible unravels the more you read it. With the rest of the examination of the world of psi it seems like the opposite, and when you have a die-hard skeptic actually give it a chance and explore it they might still stake their core in something like eliminative materialism but, I think Susan Blackmore is a great example of this, she's at least convinced of the depth of a mystery that other people are papering over.

That's probably one of the things that's the most astounding to me on these topics - ie. that almost anywhere else, other than politics or 'spirituality', everyone's competing for the best set of facts where here and in politics it seems like people are trying to find the most perfect designer set of blinders. I don't base that suggestion on people disagreeing with me and if it weren't quite a bit more than that, ie. entire style and approach to information, I wouldn't feel confident that I was seeing past my own pet distortions (the assumption goes that if you could see them you wouldn't have them) but there are tells which can inform you - even if someone fully agrees with you in theory - that they agree with you for poorly thought out reasons and you can see just as well when they disagree and it's as if you're trying to speak to a part of them that's hiding a missing limb or a gunshot wound from themselves, something that they can't explore... almost out of a sense sometimes that I think it would unravel them.

Are you committing to the belief in re-incarnation?...
Or are you simply advancing the principle of openmindedness?...

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 6:14 am

Pepe wrote:

I already gave my position much earlier in the thread.

Also I don't even like the idea of it being 'open-mindedness', that sounds way too much like a request to 'be nice' which is just wearing weakness on one's sleeve. Its more like probing the question of why intellectual consistency so reliably fails in this range. Intellectual consistency is something I would think flows in the same direction as self-interest and yet I see it consistently fall down with people when it gets challenging. No one has to do anything different, I'm sure no one will over anything I say, but it seems to illustrate that we're incorrigible, that self-interest can't even properly govern human behavior, and that the things we either pay avid attention to or refuse to pay adequate attention to are governed ultimately by alogical causes that we'd never begin to understand. The only layer of that which makes a certain degree of sense is obeying the dictates of conformity to get things out of society, but there are points after which even that fails to be a fully satisfying explanation.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 9:49 am

I still believe in reincarnation despite Fnord trying to put my personal beliefs down. :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 10:05 am

I have absolutely no belief in Reincarnation.

Though I do wish I could reincarnate, so I could become One Life Wiser.....

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 10:06 am

In my country, a whole sect believes in it, around 7% of population.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 10:12 am

I was executed by firing squad in a past life. That is why I hate war. :salut:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 5:29 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I already gave my position much earlier in the thread.

Also I don't even like the idea of it being 'open-mindedness', that sounds way too much like a request to 'be nice' which is just wearing weakness on one's sleeve. Its more like probing the question of why intellectual consistency so reliably fails in this range. Intellectual consistency is something I would think flows in the same direction as self-interest and yet I see it consistently fall down with people when it gets challenging. No one has to do anything different, I'm sure no one will over anything I say, but it seems to illustrate that we're incorrigible, that self-interest can't even properly govern human behavior, and that the things we either pay avid attention to or refuse to pay adequate attention to are governed ultimately by alogical causes that we'd never begin to understand. The only layer of that which makes a certain degree of sense is obeying the dictates of conformity to get things out of society, but there are points after which even that fails to be a fully satisfying explanation.

<playfull mode activated>

Them there are sum purdy words...
But I am not sure why you are telling me this?
Could you dumb it down for me and tell me where I actually fit into the last two posts by you to me?...

ciao... :wink: 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 5:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Good grief, Charlie Brown...
Why would *anyone* want to redo the life nonsense thingie again?
And yet, there has been only one person I have asked to date who has rejected the notion as I have... :scratch:

Hoomans...
Can't educate them...
Can't stop them from breeding... :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 5:46 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
I still believe in reincarnation despite Fnord trying to put my personal beliefs down. :mrgreen:

And me!
Don't forget me!
I am so unforgettable, no? :mrgreen:

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 6:16 pm

Pepe wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

And me!
Don't forget me!
I am so unforgettable, no? :mrgreen:

Less we forget. :D

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 8:01 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:

I would have thought you would be hating bullets!... 8O

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 8:35 pm

Pepe wrote:
<playfull mode activated>

Them there are sum purdy words...
But I am not sure why you are telling me this?
Could you dumb it down for me and tell me where I actually fit into the last two posts by you to me?...

ciao... :wink: 8)

Nah, I'll pass on the dumbing down thank you.

What do you have to do with it? Just what you said that I was thinking about, and then that you gave me a response that I responded to.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 9:07 pm

Pepe wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

I would have thought you would be hating bullets!... 8O

I'd rather be shot by a hundred bullets than kill somebody in some BS war because I was told I had to. ;)

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Mar 2019, 10:00 pm

Pepe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Good grief, Charlie Brown...
Why would *anyone* want to redo the life nonsense thingie again?
And yet, there has been only one person I have asked to date who has rejected the notion as I have... :scratch:

Hoomans...
Can't educate them...
Can't stop them from breeding... :mrgreen:

But not believing Reincarnation only means we're not coming back here, right?
We might have something after death?