Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

GraysonTerry19
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2019, 10:04 pm

So I got PCSX2 emulator back along with DS4Windows on my replacement laptop (which is what I'm using right now), but so far with finding ISO selections aka PS2 games to download for the emulator it doesn't seem to work.

I can't get games like "SpongeBob: Battle for Bikini Bottom" or any other PS2 classics because I have WinRAR, I tried to extract the 7zip file onto my desktop & then put it in a ISO file folder. But for some reason the emulator won't pick up a game. So with that said should I uninstall WinRAR or what? Sorry for asking a stupid question.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 3:33 am

There's nothing wrong with having both 7-Zip and Winrar on your system.

GraysonTerry19
Raven
Raven

10 Mar 2019, 8:21 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
There's nothing wrong with having both 7-Zip and Winrar on your system.

With 7-Zip its understandable, but with WinRAR it won't let me extract my files properly to play my ISO files on PCSX2 for some reason. I can't even get other emulators like ePSXe & Dolphin Master. I don't have a problem with 7-Zip but I have a problem with WinRAR & dunno whether to uninstall it or not.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 11:58 am

Just use 7-zip... dont even bother with WinRAR.

I've used alot of such utilities in the past, and frankly WinRAR is... not good. It just deciding not to work on something isnt exactly uncommon. I ended up just removing the stupid thing and now always use 7zip instead.

I actually recently grabbed PCSX2 and a rom myself, for that matter. Did indeed use 7zip to get it ready to use.

GraysonTerry19
Raven
Raven

10 Mar 2019, 2:28 pm

Misery wrote:

I've used alot of such utilities in the past, and frankly WinRAR is... not good. It just deciding not to work on something isnt exactly uncommon. I ended up just removing the stupid thing and now always use 7zip instead.

I actually recently grabbed PCSX2 and a rom myself, for that matter. Did indeed use 7zip to get it ready to use.

Thanks for the tip...I was able to get PCSX2 up & going with WinRAR...same thing DS4Windows for my PS4 controller, but I didn't understand why it wouldn't let me take the other emulators or why it wouldn't take the ISO files for PCSX2. I might as well uninstall WinRAR now.

SuperEuroNEET
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2019, 10:10 pm

Misery wrote:

I'm not sure if it's still true, but I've certainly had moments in the past where 7-zip didn't work and WinRAR did, specifically for RAR files.

Anyway, there are a lot of factors when it comes to emulation. You could have a bad rip, or the emulator could disagree with your game of choice. Also, the OP refers to epsxe and dolphin, which are emulators for two different systems (PS1 and GC/WII) and obviously wouldn't work for a PS2 game, so it's entirely possible another mistake is being made in the process?

GraysonTerry19
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2019, 3:28 am

SuperEuroNEET wrote:
Misery wrote:

I'm not sure if it's still true, but I've certainly had moments in the past where 7-zip didn't work and WinRAR did, specifically for RAR files.

Anyway, there are a lot of factors when it comes to emulation. You could have a bad rip, or the emulator could disagree with your game of choice. Also, the OP refers to epsxe and dolphin, which are emulators for two different systems (PS1 and GC/WII) and obviously wouldn't work for a PS2 game, so it's entirely possible another mistake is being made in the process?

I think you misunderstood some things, I know epsxe & dolphin are PS1 & GameCube/Wii emulators...but I wasn't using those to boot up an ISO file of a PS2 game. The problem with those emulators is that won't extract onto my desktop like PCSX2 & Project64 did & I don't know why, I don't know what made you assume I was using different emulators for PS2 games. I was trying to get those consoles to play different games.

But I will agree that I might have a bad rip, but the emulator might've also disagreed with the game of choice. If I could just find out from someone or something on what website has good ISO files that are legit then maybe it'll work, SpongeBob: Battle for Bikini Bottom is one of those ISO file games I'm trying to find first before moving on & so far several ISO files I downloaded didn't seem to work. So I'm taking the advice the other user here said & uninstall WinRAR.

fakkau89
Raven
Raven

21 May 2019, 1:48 pm

The later the program release usually has better extracting algorithms. Meaning faster or just less bs.