Which videogames have taken you the most time to finish?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 5:51 am

I got FFXII for my 15th birthday and I played it for about a year, the first half was just to familiarize myself and the second one was when I began a serious playthrough where I completed most of it except for some rare monster entries.

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 5:56 am

Also, the only reason I got a PS2 and PS4 is because of FF and KH, I completed FFX-2 and KH I and II and consider them awesome games. Otherwise I spent a summer vacation completing a big collection of Gamecube games.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 6:23 am

Mushihime-sama.

Took AT LEAST 1500 hours. That number aint a typo. It might have been closer to 2000, come to think of it.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 12:33 pm

Longest playtime is World of Warcraft, Warframe and Elite Dangerous. But those games I can't really say I ever 'finished', more like I just got bored of them. I can't remember my time in WOW played but it was something like 200 days. Warframe it's been about 900 hours, and Elite Dangerous about 600.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 1:21 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Longest playtime is World of Warcraft, Warframe and Elite Dangerous. But those games I can't really say I ever 'finished', more like I just got bored of them. I can't remember my time in WOW played but it was something like 200 days. Warframe it's been about 900 hours, and Elite Dangerous about 600.

Aye, they're pretty much designed NOT to be finished... the devs lose your money faster if they are. Keep the player addicted and keep the content coming and you've got many for a very long time.

Bloody MMO genre has always been like that. Not that there werent good games in it, mind you. I miss alot of those, really. It aint the same now.

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 1:44 pm

Not counting MMOS for me it's invariably the build type games like Terraria. Even though they usually have an end boss there's always the lure of trying to build something fantastic that keeps me playing.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 2:41 pm

Nist498 wrote:
Not counting MMOS for me it's invariably the build type games like Terraria. Even though they usually have an end boss there's always the lure of trying to build something fantastic that keeps me playing.

Aye, definitely those are good at that.

I dont even want to know how much time I've spent in Minecraft.

And soon enough, I'll have logged a bazillion hours in Factorio.

Games like those just have so very, very many things to do, no matter the playstyle. No matter how much you do, there's always more.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 7:44 pm

I think the Video game that took me the most time to beat would have to be Record of Agarest War: Zero. That game took me almost 100 hours just to beat it on normal(didn't go through hard and I also didn't get the true ending either so technically I guess I didn't "officially" beat the whole game).

My next longest would have to be Terraria. I played on Ps3 so the last boss I guess was Duke Fishron though now since it's on Ps4 and you're now able to go fight the actual last boss I need to play it again but I don't feel like going through the whole adventure again!

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2019, 10:56 am

Star Ocean 3 was pretty long same with Witcher 3. I don't know how many hours that is. I think I put 300 hours into FF Tactics but that wasn't 300 hours for the main story, that was just messing around after I beat the game.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 5:45 am

Final Fantasy XII was quite long, well over 100 hours to complete without me doing basically any side quests. I also sank hundreds of hours into Skyrim before beating it, although that was the opposite situation, where I kept doing tons of side quests because the main story just wasn't that interesting to me.
In terms of real world time, I started Pokemon Yellow in '98 and didn't take the time to finally sit down and finish it (ie: beat the Elite Four and catch Mewtwo) until 2016.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2019, 5:40 pm

FFXII demonstrated that my PS2 slim could survive under a blanket without being turned off for an entire summer. I think the first time I played it I maxed out the in-game clock. It's far easier to pause the game and pass out than to find a save spot and turn the machine off. But I think I put more hours into FFX though, trying to fill in as much of the sphere grid as I could. Everyone gets to be a black mage. That's the saddest thing about FFXII:ZA.

It's hard to keep straight which game took the longest since I leave them idling, which messes us the steam time stats, and things from childhood just seemed to take so much longer. FFVIII felt like the longest game ever and I eventually lost track of what was even going on.

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2019, 11:53 pm

I played The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for over 200 hours before I felt satisfied. That file is far from complete, mind you; I barely passed 50% completion. But I don't really feel the need to do every little thing that remains (namely the korok seeds), especially now that I don't have the physical walkthrough anymore. I do plan on doing a shorter playthrough in master mode sometime soon, though.

When I was younger, I played Pokémon Heartgold for over 300 hours. There's just so much stuff to do in that game. Although, I wonder how much of that time was spent watching health bars slowly drain and long move animations. Since I was a (relatively) little kid, I didn't mind the slow battles much, but I don't know if I'd be willing to tolerate them now. I put a ton of time into other Pokémon games as well, but Heartgold is probably the one I played the most.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 12:09 am

Probably skyrim, not sure actually finishing that game even exists. I have not played a ton of games though, when I was a kid my mom didn't like video games so I didn't really experience them a lot. I always liked playing if I had an opportunity at a friends house or visiting cousins but my mom would not have been willing to get me a console let alone games for it. But yeah I like them so since I have grown up I have immersed myself a little more...I like skyrim a lot but I cannot say I have 'completed' it.

But aside from that I like the 'alice in wonderland, madness returns' game its pretty cool, but I completed it in about a day....of course it was on easy difficulty and I did not discover all the secret areas and such or even all the creatures you run into, so I am not sure if there are more if you play on a harder difficulty. So I will probably try to finish it on a harder difficulty. Then I did like the arkham city batman game(I think that is what it is), but I still haven't finished it. I played the 'new and tasty' oddworld game which was fun but short lived. And also I found a series of games with a character called 'deathspank' I've played the first one and would like to play the sequel games...but yeah that was a fun and entertaining game but certainly not a serious one.

And then I also like to play League of Legends, which you can't really 'finish' that game...as its just player vs. player matches so you win matches and you lose matches but it doesn't have like role playing storyline or anything.

Also I liked those devil may cry games, I played those on my cousins PS2 and I did really like that game. I also completed call of duty 3 but that was not the most enjoyable, i remember getting a little nauseous while playing and such so I'd have to take a lot of breaks from it....I played on xbox so for a time I was thinking xbox games make me nauseous(I know that's dumb) but finally I figured out its just the first person camera style that bothers me. Its the same with movies it makes me feel kind of sick if they use that filming style. I mean I think I mentioned the xbox thing to someone and they suggested it was more likely the first person view than having played it on an xbox console.

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 12:27 pm

coalminer wrote:
I played The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for over 200 hours before I felt satisfied. That file is far from complete, mind you; I barely passed 50% completion. But I don't really feel the need to do every little thing that remains (namely the korok seeds), especially now that I don't have the physical walkthrough anymore. I do plan on doing a shorter playthrough in master mode sometime soon, though.

When I was younger, I played Pokémon Heartgold for over 300 hours. There's just so much stuff to do in that game. Although, I wonder how much of that time was spent watching health bars slowly drain and long move animations. Since I was a (relatively) little kid, I didn't mind the slow battles much, but I don't know if I'd be willing to tolerate them now. I put a ton of time into other Pokémon games as well, but Heartgold is probably the one I played the most.

Playing Pokemon games with an emulator on a smartphone cranked to 4x normal speed makes the games much more tolerable as an adult in my experience.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

Generally I only play RPG games and I play these for about a year each. Sometimes I will play them to the end and then up the difficulty level and play them again. Most of these games have thick companion books with complete walk-throughs.

Some of these games are the Final Fantasy series, the Fallout series, Skyrim, the Witcher series, and the Elder Scrolls.

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2019, 3:25 pm

la_fenkis wrote:
coalminer wrote:

Playing Pokemon games with an emulator on a smartphone cranked to 4x normal speed makes the games much more tolerable as an adult in my experience.

Well, that generation of Pokémon is the only one where the battle speed is a problem (in my experience). They've made the battles faster in more recent games. And I'm too much of a goody-two-shoes to use emulators.