Page 5 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 2:03 am

cyberdad wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
[
I think the hundreds of thousands of women killed in Iraq would have preferred to have been the victims of a rude joke.

John, you forget that the Ayatollah Khomenei, al-Hassad family and Saddam Hussein killed 10 times this number.

Despite the death toll from American intervention (a decision that wasn't warranted) there was some good intention (even if it was misdirected) to prevent human rights violations.

As with European colonisation the interventions in the middle east have left us with a legacy that's too late to be reversed and has to now be managed...you can't turn the clock back to 1948 (I think you'll understand the importance of that date)

They killed 10 million People? US installed US puppets in both Iraq and Iran and supported them as they butchered their own populations. Saddam carried out his worst crimes with US support and US weapons!! ! The intervention had nothing to do with human rights. It was based on a pack of lies about WMD's and links to Al Qaeda.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 2:04 am

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
It's phony outrage and lies. He doesn't think child rape is ok. But I've seen the same people getting hysterical about horrible jokes 12 years ago don't give a Damn about genocide.

What about my outrage is phony? How am I lying?

I've never seen you get outraged at the liberal press for cheering on wars. You're not lying you're just repeating the lies.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 2:41 am

JohnPowell wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
It's phony outrage and lies. He doesn't think child rape is ok. But I've seen the same people getting hysterical about horrible jokes 12 years ago don't give a Damn about genocide.

I've never seen you get outraged at the liberal press for cheering on wars. You're not lying you're just repeating the lies.

You've never seen me get outraged about a lot of things, how does that in any way negate my current feelings about the grossness of what Tucker Carlson said? How dare you try to tell me my own feelings about something are phony, what arrogance. What is wrong with you that this is how you have political discussion with people, you try to dictate to them what their own emotional state is? You're talking to a person, another human being--act like it and have some civility. And what lies am I repeating? You can't just go around telling people what they really feel about things and accusing them of lying and then dancing around and changing your story when they try to call you on your flailing accusations. First I'm a liar, now I'm not lying myself but I'm repeating the lies of others. Which is it? Get your story straight before you hurl accusations.

And what is with all the personal vitriol being directed at me in this thread, impugning my moral character and attacking me because I had the nerve to say I think "joking" about raping kids is gross? Where is this coming from? You guys need to take some time out and ask yourselves why you are personally attacking me in this way and figure it out so you can stop doing it, it's really weird and not cool.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 4:01 am

JohnPowell wrote:
[
They killed 10 million People? US installed US puppets in both Iraq and Iran and supported them as they butchered their own populations. Saddam carried out his worst crimes with US support and US weapons!! ! The intervention had nothing to do with human rights. It was based on a pack of lies about WMD's and links to Al Qaeda.

Oh I have no doubt the US propped up Saddam's regime in the same way they propped up the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan. All the terrorism we have today (including ironically the mass shooting this morning in NZ) is all linked to these.

However you can look at it from the perspective that Saddam and the anti-Russian/anti-Iran coalition in the middle east went rogue and became hostile. I think the Americans probably had no choice but to take them out.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 4:58 am

JohnPowell wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

You've never seen me get outraged about a lot of things, how does that in any way negate my current feelings about the grossness of what Tucker Carlson said? How dare you try to tell me my own feelings about something are phony, what arrogance. What is wrong with you that this is how you have political discussion with people, you try to dictate to them what their own emotional state is? You're talking to a person, another human being--act like it and have some civility. And what lies am I repeating? You can't just go around telling people what they really feel about things and accusing them of lying and then dancing around and changing your story when they try to call you on your flailing accusations. First I'm a liar, now I'm not lying myself but I'm repeating the lies of others. Which is it? Get your story straight before you hurl accusations.

And what is with all the personal vitriol being directed at me in this thread, impugning my moral character and attacking me because I had the nerve to say I think "joking" about raping kids is gross? Where is this coming from? You guys need to take some time out and ask yourselves why you are personally attacking me in this way and figure it out so you can stop doing it, it's really weird and not cool.

Because mass murder is a billion times worse and you are also. I'm not personally attacking anyone. I'm attacking the liberal ideology. I've said that what I said was horrible. All you had to do was say the same about cheering on mass murder. The whole story is based on phony outrage and lies and a smear campaign because he's anti war now.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 5:00 am

cyberdad wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
[

Oh I have no doubt the US propped up Saddam's regime in the same way they propped up the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan. All the terrorism we have today (including ironically the mass shooting this morning in NZ) is all linked to these.

However you can look at it from the perspective that Saddam and the anti-Russian/anti-Iran coalition in the middle east went rogue and became hostile. I think the Americans probably had no choice but to take them out.

That's just ridiculous. The reasons for invading were all lies. The US had every choice but the destruction of Iraq was what They wanted.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 6:02 am

How dare you try to tell me my own feelings about something are phony, what arrogance. What is wrong with you that this is how you have political discussion with people, you try to dictate to them what their own emotional state is? You're talking to a person, another human being--act like it and have some civility. And what lies am I repeating? You can't just go around telling people what they really feel about things and accusing them of lying and then dancing around and changing your story when they try to call you on your flailing accusations. First I'm a liar, now I'm not lying myself but I'm repeating the lies of others. Which is it? Get your story straight before you hurl accusations.

It's a kind of form of internet gaslighting. There are are a couple of posters on WP who do this regularly . You are simply not allowed to disagree with them

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 7:14 am

It's an important point that he refuse to apologize for the things he said on women and girls, meaning he show no regrets.

JohnPowell wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

US media were not liberal in 2003, that's for sure...

Also
Wikipedia wrote:
Carlson initially supported the war with Iraq during its first year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucker_Carlson#Iraq
He later regretted it, but he did support it; everyone else on his political side supported it at some point after all.
It's only surprising that he regretted it as soon as 2004.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 7:42 am

This thread is getting too personal , can all members please stop with the personal attacks. This is not PPR but it's starting to look like it.

You all know the rules but just in case here is a reminder

Quote:
2. Personal attacks.
This includes insinuation, ridicule and personal insults, regardless of whether direct or indirect. Attacking an opinion, belief or philosophy is acceptable, but attacking the person making the comments is not.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 7:46 am

Tollorin wrote:
It's an important point that he refuse to apologize for the things he said on women and girls, meaning he show no regrets.

JohnPowell wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

US media were not liberal in 2003, that's for sure...

Also
Wikipedia wrote:
Carlson initially supported the war with Iraq during its first year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucker_Carlson#Iraq
He later regretted it, but he did support it; everyone else on his political side supported it at some point after all.
It's only surprising that he regretted it as soon as 2004.

One thing you must never do to the liberal mob is apologise. It's something he said over 10 years ago and has changed a lot. Look how he's learned from his previous stance on war.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 5:19 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
That's just ridiculous. The reasons for invading were all lies. The US had every choice but the destruction of Iraq was what They wanted.

Yes agreed, the US and UK used a flimsy pretext to enter Iraq. But my point was that Reagan created the monster that was Saddam and the prospect of a dictator controlling oil supplies in Iraq and Kuwait having control over the price of oil was beyond acceptable. We already have the problem of "kowtowing" to a known criminals running Saudi Arabia and the Emirates to keep oil prices stable.

Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 6:26 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Because mass murder is a billion times worse and you are also. I'm not personally attacking anyone. I'm attacking the liberal ideology. I've said that what I said was horrible. All you had to do was say the same about cheering on mass murder. The whole story is based on phony outrage and lies and a smear campaign because he's anti war now.

I'm a billion times worse than what Tucker Carlson said about raping children? And that's not a personal attack how?

Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 6:29 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
How dare you try to tell me my own feelings about something are phony, what arrogance. What is wrong with you that this is how you have political discussion with people, you try to dictate to them what their own emotional state is? You're talking to a person, another human being--act like it and have some civility. And what lies am I repeating? You can't just go around telling people what they really feel about things and accusing them of lying and then dancing around and changing your story when they try to call you on your flailing accusations. First I'm a liar, now I'm not lying myself but I'm repeating the lies of others. Which is it? Get your story straight before you hurl accusations.

It's a kind of form of internet gaslighting. There are are a couple of posters on WP who do this regularly . You are simply not allowed to disagree with them

How is it allowed to continue? I've been reporting the personal attacks but they don't stop, the guys keep piling on me and telling me things like I'm a billion times worse than Tucker Carlson, and somehow this is allowed by the moderators.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 8:31 pm

I was called despicable in one of these threads but any online forum (including social media) you do have to have some "thick skin" and just ignore the personal jabs otherwise it's not recommended to read what's written here.

People have no idea who you are and are not really in any position to pass judgement.

On the other hand Tucker Carlson wants to be a magnet for the worst elements of society. People who want to support his right to vilify vulnerable groups might want to look in the mirror, because Carlson's support group are no friends of the autistic community

Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 8:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I was called despicable in one of these threads but any online forum (including social media) you do have to have some "thick skin" and just ignore the personal jabs otherwise it's not recommended to read what's written here.

People have no idea who you are and are not really in any position to pass judgement.

On the other hand Tucker Carlson wants to be a magnet for the worst elements of society. People who want to support his right to vilify vulnerable groups might want to look in the mirror, because Carlson's support group are no friends of the autistic community

Mostly I just try to not participate by not responding to them and not talking to them, but they follow me around and say me not talking to them is just me "avoiding debate" when really I'm just trying to avoid the aggressive negativity and personal attacks that seem inevitable in discussions with them. Not everyone enjoys having conversations like that and we should be allowed to avoid people who do want to have those kinds of conversations. I just don't like the vitriol-slinging aspect of the internet and don't want my online interaction to be like that, if it can be avoided.

Basically, I don't understand how my contribution to this thread ended up with me butting heads with so many guys. Can't we all agree that joking about child marriage not being as bad as child rape because in marriage the rapist has "committed" to their victim is gross? Why can't we all agree on this very basic thing that should be repugnant to everyone? Yet somehow this great disagreement springs from it like me saying that is controversial, or even immoral. It's so bizarre.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2019, 1:29 am

JohnPowell wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

I'm a billion times worse than what Tucker Carlson said about raping children? And that's not a personal attack how?

Your argument is a billion times worse. One of the people you're replying to has personally attacked me a million times. I've never attacked you.