IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2019, 8:53 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Lots of interesting legal/ethical issues in this case. There were lots of people involved, and I saw some reports that said some of the kids didn't know that their parents had bribed people. So, suppose little Olivia is admitted and successfully graduates, even though she was admitted via a bribe (which she did or didn't know about). What if anything should be done to her? Degree revoked? Asterisk added to her transcript? Is her academic work at the school now invalid? Hmm.

There's been talk of expelling those students from the colleges their parents cheated to get them into.

They should expel every one and give offers to everyone who was wait-listed or rejected unfairly, as well as seats in the student parliament.

Seriously though.

Who the heck does these things thinking they won't get caught? Are they that far above the law?

The rich get their kids into colleges by donating a sh*t load of money to said colleges all the time, and so I imagine the perps in this case didn't see it as anything all that wrong.

Paying your way in is one thing, but forging test scores and athletic photographs ... insanity. It's identity theft and collusion against the most vulnerable -- our bright young teens who just need a stepping stone to success. It makes me sick (as it does all of us, I'm sure). :(

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2019, 8:58 pm

Here's an example of one of the kids of these parents who were caught up in this scheme:

Son of Couple Charged in College Cheating Scandal Defends Parents While Smoking Blunt and Promoting Mixtape

These are the kind of people we're talking about, and this is what their offspring are like.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2019, 10:22 pm

It’s newsworthy for sure, but there are exactly Zero surprises in this story. Rich people buy what they want.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2019, 10:28 pm

and the devil [everybody else with no money] take the hindmost.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 6:25 pm

This is another current college story — not the cheating scandal per se, but about parents who continue to do everything for their kids even after they leave for college, and so it's related to the culture that produced the cheating scandal.

How Parents Are Robbing Their Children of Adulthood
Today’s “snowplow parents” keep their children’s futures obstacle-free — even when it means crossing ethical and legal boundaries.

...In her [psychology] practice, Dr. Levine said, she regularly sees college freshmen who “have had to come home from Emory or Brown because they don’t have the minimal kinds of adult skills that one needs to be in college.”

One came home because there was a rat in the dorm room. Some didn’t like their roommates. Others said it was too much work, and they had never learned independent study skills. One didn’t like to eat food with sauce. Her whole life, her parents had helped her avoid sauce, calling friends before going to their houses for dinner. At college, she didn’t know how to cope with the cafeteria options — covered in sauce.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/16/styl ... andal.html

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 1:27 am

Darmok wrote:
This is another current college story — not the cheating scandal per se, but about parents who continue to do everything for their kids even after they leave for college, and so it's related to the culture that produced the cheating scandal.

How Parents Are Robbing Their Children of Adulthood
Today’s “snowplow parents” keep their children’s futures obstacle-free — even when it means crossing ethical and legal boundaries.

...In her [psychology] practice, Dr. Levine said, she regularly sees college freshmen who “have had to come home from Emory or Brown because they don’t have the minimal kinds of adult skills that one needs to be in college.”

One came home because there was a rat in the dorm room. Some didn’t like their roommates. Others said it was too much work, and they had never learned independent study skills. One didn’t like to eat food with sauce. Her whole life, her parents had helped her avoid sauce, calling friends before going to their houses for dinner. At college, she didn’t know how to cope with the cafeteria options — covered in sauce.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/16/styl ... andal.html

Quote:
In a new poll by The New York Times and Morning Consult of a nationally representative group of parents of children ages 18 to 28, three-quarters had made appointments for their adult children, like for doctor visits or haircuts, and the same share had reminded them of deadlines for school. Eleven percent said they would contact their child’s employer if their child had an issue.

Sixteen percent of those with children in college had texted or called them to wake them up so they didn’t sleep through a class or test. Eight percent had contacted a college professor or administrator about their child’s grades or a problem they were having.

It’s not just the wealthy. Recent research suggests that parents across lines of class and race are embracing the idea of intensive parenting, whether or not they can afford it.

Often, that involves intervening on behalf of their children. In a recent study that surveyed a nationally representative group of parents about which parenting choices they thought were best, people, regardless of race, income or education, said children should be enrolled in after-school activities so they wouldn’t have to feel bored. If a child didn’t like school, they thought parents should talk to the teacher to get the child different work.

Snowplowing has gone so far, they say, that many young people are in crisis, lacking these problem-solving skills and experiencing record rates of anxiety. There are now classes to teach children to practice failing, at college campuses around the country and even for preschoolers.

Many snowplow parents know it’s problematic, too. But because of privilege or peer pressure or anxiety about their children’s futures, they do it anyway.

Nostalgic for the good old days of helicopter parenting(SMH)

The free range parenting I grew up with had some serious faults and caused me serious problems, but I am more and more appreciative of having been parented that way.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman