Poor autobiographical memory and the assessment process -?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,238
Location: Calne,England

13 Mar 2019, 7:02 pm

I am wondering how much poor autobiographical memory is a hindrance when it comes to being assessed for ASD. I was asked several questions which I could only give rather vague answers to as I couldn't remember in greater depth.


_________________
Support mental health research
Please support mental health research
http://www.mentalhealthresearchuk.org.uk/
http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/


Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 14 Nov 2013
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 324
Location: Colorado

13 Mar 2019, 7:51 pm

Impaired autobiographical memory has been found in studies on people with ASD, so it shouldn't be a hindrance if you demonstrate such impairment, but should rather be a marker for possible ASD diagnosis. I have a excellent long-term memory that produces gestalt reexperiencing of old events back to about age 2, but I have quite poor autobiographical recall. I used to wonder what was up with that until I found out that autistics have those kinds of memory differences. I believe it has to do with having a very weak sense of self in my case, so my memories are organized in ways other than self-referenced. They're organized around places and patterns (like geometry of rooms), smells, temperature and so on. So I have to really think hard to make a list of all the friends or coworkers I've had or the classes I went to - things that are relative to my own self. But I can remember great numbers of experiences with certain engineering systems I've worked on rapidly and in great detail. My short-term memory is pretty fragile too and sometimes just goes blank ("What were we talking about just now?") and I found out that is common among folks with ASDs.



firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,238
Location: Calne,England

13 Mar 2019, 8:07 pm

I was worried that my humming and hawing over quite a lot of the questions , and not being able to give exact/precise details would count against me.


_________________
Support mental health research
Please support mental health research
http://www.mentalhealthresearchuk.org.uk/
http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/


Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,040
Location: Essex, UK

13 Mar 2019, 9:07 pm

My autobiographical memory is very good. I can remember the year of when certain things happened in my life, and I can remember nearly all of my birthdays, Christmases and summers since about the age of 6, right up to the present year.


_________________
Straight Female
From East UK (Essex)
Aged 29

On antidepressants (50mg Sertraline) ~ Helps control emotional outbursts but not general anxiety.


JD12345
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 30 Jan 2019
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 168

14 Mar 2019, 2:49 pm

Joe90 wrote:
My autobiographical memory is very good. I can remember the year of when certain things happened in my life, and I can remember nearly all of my birthdays, Christmases and summers since about the age of 6, right up to the present year.


Dates in general are a relative strong point of mine too.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 22,086
Location: In a Book

14 Mar 2019, 3:30 pm

I remember the sensory details of times and places, and I remember what I was thinking at many times in my life ... but I don't remember the presence of other people and very little is episodic. My memories are like a vortex with swirls of colour, sound and sensation accompanied by a thought process. I have extreme synaesthesia so maybe this is why.

My thought processes aren't always related to what I was doing. For example, I went to DisneyWorld but I don't remember DisneyWorld. I remember thinking about rain and the water cycle. I also remember sensory flashbacks like smells and colours from Disney.



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Age: 2000
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,785
Location: USA

14 Mar 2019, 8:08 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I was worried that my humming and hawing over quite a lot of the questions , and not being able to give exact/precise details would count against me.


That's most likely the kind of thing they would expect. I am bad at such things and it's due to autism. Other people know more about me along those lines than I know about myself.



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,811
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont

15 Mar 2019, 1:04 am

Autobiographical stuff was NOT asked when I was assessed. I just did things like predict patterns, put blocks in different shapes, found what was missing in pictures, & remembered sentences & words. The quack ruled out Aspergers when I was tested thou in favor of Schizoid Personality Disorder. I really believe I'm on the spectrum sense my mom suspected it since I was a toddler cuz of my issues. I really think the autobiographical stuff should of been asked.


_________________
But I don't want to go among mad people, Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat: we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 22,086
Location: In a Book

15 Mar 2019, 1:09 am

nick007 wrote:
Autobiographical stuff was NOT asked when I was assessed. I just did things like predict patterns, put blocks in different shapes, found what was missing in pictures, & remembered sentences & words. The quack ruled out Aspergers when I was tested thou in favor of Schizoid Personality Disorder. I really believe I'm on the spectrum sense my mom suspected it since I was a toddler cuz of my issues. I really think the autobiographical stuff should of been asked.


Do you have other common features of autism such as stimming or issues with sensory processing? It's odd that they wouldn't have looked at the bigger picture.



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,811
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont

15 Mar 2019, 1:24 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Autobiographical stuff was NOT asked when I was assessed. I just did things like predict patterns, put blocks in different shapes, found what was missing in pictures, & remembered sentences & words. The quack ruled out Aspergers when I was tested thou in favor of Schizoid Personality Disorder. I really believe I'm on the spectrum sense my mom suspected it since I was a toddler cuz of my issues. I really think the autobiographical stuff should of been asked.


Do you have other common features of autism such as stimming or issues with sensory processing? It's odd that they wouldn't have looked at the bigger picture.
Yes I do have lots of features of autism but it was never asked or talked about. The guy also thought I seemed too intelligent to have anything on the autism spectrum. He said I had Aspergers but it was due to the SPD instead of autism. My grifreind's brother has been diagnosed with Aspergers & autism since he was little & Cass says she seess a lot of him in me; I deal with things in a better way thou. The doc I have believes I'm on the spectrum & the psychs Social Security sends me to when i get reviews believe I am. I say I have it & I believe the guy I saw didn't know jank. Not having an official diagnoses of autism prevented me for qualifying for services, programs, & benefits related to autism which I feel kinda screwed me over. I don't really worry about it now thou since there's nothing I can really do about it.


_________________
But I don't want to go among mad people, Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat: we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.