Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2019, 1:36 pm

I love reading young adult books because I find the plots more interesting. I can relate to the characters easier. I also write young adult paranormal fiction so I guess that maybe a factor too. Should I stop?

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2019, 1:59 pm

This is entirely your decision and your decision alone.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 3:39 am

Yes stop because you should listen to everyone else(sarcasm). Not sure why you even have a question.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 3:51 am

I like them too. Its not like you have to report to people what you read so do as you like.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 4:09 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I love reading young adult books

Then there's no reason to stop.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 10:52 am

Why stop if you like it? If someone is giving you trouble for it and you can't handle that then you can just keep the information of what you read to yourself.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2019, 2:47 pm

I'm reminded of a quote by C. S. Lewis that seriously brings to question what's considered "adult" by today's society.

Quote:
"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was 10, I read fairytales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am 50, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2019, 2:58 pm

No, you should read (and write) whatever you enjoy. My mom is in her fifties, and she reads and enjoys a lot of young adult books. Granted she works in a high school library, but she never hesitates to tell people that she enjoys the books or anything. I've been reading more "adult" horror recently, but I also still enjoy young adult books, some of my favorites are "young adult."

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 12:58 am

YA isn't my cup of tea, but it's obviously yours. No reason to drop what brings you happiness.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 10:34 am

Funny, I asked a similar question on another forum years ago.

I too like exciting YA books. They have less filler and go more straight into the plot, which I like. I also often find the characters easier to relate to.

I'm not quitting them any time soon.

It's my opinion that you should read what you enjoy.

Kenya wrote:
I'm reminded of a quote by C. S. Lewis that seriously brings to question what's considered "adult" by today's society.

Quote:
"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was 10, I read fairytales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am 50, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

I really like that quote!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 10:51 am

Do what makes you happy, not what society thinks should make you happy. In case no one else hasn't noticed, society is pretty stupid. Imagine if I listened to society and stopped reading *children's* books!

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 12:51 pm

Since you enjoy it I think you should keep doing it.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 3:44 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
No, you should read (and write) whatever you enjoy. My mom is in her fifties, and she reads and enjoys a lot of young adult books. Granted she works in a high school library, but she never hesitates to tell people that she enjoys the books or anything. I've been reading more "adult" horror recently, but I also still enjoy young adult books, some of my favorites are "young adult."

In five years I’ll be 30 and I’m worried that I’ll have to give up stuff I like such as unicorns, mermaids, plushies and video games to be a true adult. I’m scared people will view me differently and tell me to grow up.

I have adult responsibilities and am committed to them. I’m just worried people will say “you are trying to be young because you like Twilight and Pokemon”

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 12:51 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

In five years I’ll be 30 and I’m worried that I’ll have to give up stuff I like such as unicorns, mermaids, plushies and video games to be a true adult. I’m scared people will view me differently and tell me to grow up.

I have adult responsibilities and am committed to them. I’m just worried people will say “you are trying to be young because you like Twilight and Pokemon”

Those people are stupid af.