Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 3:56 am

49 people were killed in an attack at two seperate mosques in Christchurch New Zealand. The dead including 41 at Deans Avenue mosque and seven at Linwood mosque in Christ. Another victim died in hospital.

The attacker who livestreamed himself attacking a Christchurch mosque and murdering at least 40 people identified himself online before the rampage as Australian citizen Brenton Tarrant.

On a now-deleted Twitter account, Tarrant posted multiple photos of what appear to be machine gun magazines and a link to what is being described as a manifesto for his actions.

The 74-page document starts off quoting a Dylan Thomas poem, Do not go gentle into that good night, and then moves onto a rant about white genocide.

Tarrant outlines his motivations: including to “create an atmosphere of fear” and to “incite violence” against Muslims while offering up autobiographical details.

Tarrant, an Australian citizen who is believed to come from the northern New South Wales town of Grafton, entitles his document ‘The Great Replacement’
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... ident-live

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 4:27 am

RIP. It's just beyond words really. :cry:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 4:47 am

It's a disgrace to all Australians that we could produce a mass murderer

Will be the worst that we've produced...

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Mar 2019, 7:44 am

This truly shocking and sad incident shows the hatred some sick people harbour towards those whose race or religion they don't respect. How cowardly to choose the Muslim holy day when they go to pray and worship in peace.

Thinking of the friends and families of those who lost their lives.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 9:03 am

Profile of terrorist

Quote:
The Christchurch mosque attacks were live-streamed on the internet by a man posting online under the name Brenton Tarrant.

Distressing footage shows him firing indiscriminately at men, women and children at close range inside the Al Noor mosque.

The individual previously posted a rambling and expletive-filled document, espousing violent right-wing ideology.

Police said three people were in custody and that a man in his late 20s had been charged with murder.

On Friday, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed that a man in custody in New Zealand was an Australian-born citizen.

Mr Morrison called him an "extremist right-wing violent terrorist", adding that Australian authorities would assist New Zealand's investigation.

A song which played in the suspect's car is known as a marching anthem for Serbian nationalist paramilitary units known as Chetniks during the 1992-95 Bosnian war.

It praises Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic, who was convicted of genocide and war crimes.

The names of men convicted of killing Muslims and migrants are written on the suspect's weaponry.

One item had the words "For Rotherham" written on it, a reference to a child abuse scandal in the UK, while other wording referenced historical battles between European countries and the Ottoman Empire.

Australian media reported that Brenton Tarrant was originally from Grafton, a town 600km (370 miles) north of Sydney, and had previously worked at a fitness facility.
"He never showed any extremist views or any crazy behaviour," his former boss, Tracey Gray, told Seven News.

In the 16,500-word document, the man says he began planning an attack after visiting Europe in 2017 and being angered by events there.

Specifically, he references a lorry attack carried out by an Islamic State sympathiser in Sweden, France's decision to elect the moderate Emmanuel Macron as president, and ethnic diversity in France.

Despite insisting that he was not motivated by fame, he painstakingly details his thoughts on numerous, unrelated topics. He also acknowledges that he intended to survive the attack, and hoped it would spread fear.

He chose the Al Noor mosque as his target three months ago, the document says.

The document is called "The Great Replacement" - it's not something just dreamt up, but the title of a loose global movement that has been rapidly growing online.
The central tenet of the conspiracy is that "European peoples" are dying out and being "replaced" by immigrants with a different, inferior and dangerous culture. This is basically a code for hatred or fear of Muslims.

Part of the theory is that states and corporations are encouraging "white genocide" by pushing up immigration rates purely to keep global capitalism going. Occasionally, the theory dips into anti-Semitism and neo-Nazi beliefs by blaming Jews for the world economic system.

The phrase The Great Replacement first emerged in France.
Its most public advocates include followers of Generation Identity, a European anti-Islam movement.

But more importantly, the conspiracy is a central part of a vast and growing range of online forums - particularly hidden groups on Facebook and other social media platforms.
It's in these groups that believers, divorced from facts and trusted reputable sources of information, share fake news links and reinforce their own fears

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said none of those in custody had been on active security watch lists.

Of course the police are currently questioning those in custody, so beyond that there is not too much I can say at this time," she told reporters on Friday.

She said that "there was a degree of planning" around the attacks, but a full picture was yet to emerge.

Police said the 28-year-old man charged with murder was scheduled to appear in court on Saturday.

Facebook, YouTube and Twitter struggle to deal with New Zealand shooting video
Quote:
Facebook, YouTube and Twitter are struggling to halt the spread of horrific footage that appears to show a massacre at a mosque in New Zealand as it was taking place.

New Zealand Police alerted us to a video on Facebook shortly after the livestream commenced and we quickly removed both the shooter's Facebook and Instagram accounts and the video," Mia Garlick, Facebook's director of policy for Australia and New Zealand, said in a statement.

Facebook declined further comment on when exactly it took down the video.

Hours after the attack, however, copies of the gruesome video continued to appear on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter, raising new questions about the companies' ability to manage harmful content on their platforms.

Facebook is "removing any praise or support for the crime and the shooter or shooters as soon as we're aware," Garlick said.

This is the latest case of social media companies being caught off guard by killers posting videos of their crimes, and other users then sharing the disturbing footage. It has happened in the United States, Thailand, Denmark and other countries.

Friday's video reignites questions about how social media platforms handle offensive content: Are the companies doing enough to try to catch this type of content? How quickly should they be expected to remove it?

"While Google, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter all say that they're cooperating and acting in the best interest of citizens to remove this content, they're actually not because they're allowing these videos to reappear all the time," said Lucinda Creighton, a senior adviser at the Counter Extremism Project, an international policy organization.

John Battersby, a counter-terrorism expert at Massey University of New Zealand, said the country had been spared mass terrorist attacks, partly because of its isolation. Social media had changed that.

"This fellow live streamed the shooting and his supporters have cheered him on, and most of them are not in New Zealand," he said. "Unfortunately once it's out there and it's downloaded, it can still be (online)," he added.

The spread of the video could inspire copycats, said CNN legal enforcement analyst Steve Moore, a retired supervisory special agent for the FBI.

"What I would tell the public is this: Do you want to help terrorists? Because if you do, sharing this video is exactly how you do it," Moore said.

"Do not share the video or you are part of this," he added.

Christchurch mosque shooting: Linwood mosque 'hero' tackled gunman, grabbed weapon
Quote:
A survivor of the shooting at the Linwood mosque has revealed how his friend risked his life to tackle the gunman and wrestle away the weapon.

Syed Mazharuddin witnessed the attack and said he heard gunshots and could tell the shooter was very close.

"People got feared and there was screaming around and I tried to take cover," he said.

"By the time I took cover this guy came through the main entrance door and it's a small mosque - there were about 60-70 people there

Just around the entrance door there were elderly people sitting there praying and he just started shooting at them."

Mazharuddin said the shooter was wearing protective gear and firing wildly.

A man from inside the mosque then tried to tackle the gunman.

"The young guy who usually takes care of the mosque ... he saw an opportunity and pounced on [the gunman] and took his gun," Mazharuddin said.

"The hero tried to chase and he couldn't find the trigger in the gun ... he ran behind him but there were people waiting for him in the car and he fled."

Mazharuddin said friends around him had been shot in the chest and another in the head.

One of his friends died at the scene, another was left bleeding heavily as Mazharuddin tried to contact emergency services

"Just around the entrance door there were elderly people sitting there praying and he just started shooting at them."

Mazharuddin said the shooter was wearing protective gear and firing wildly.

A man from inside the mosque then tried to tackle the gunman.

"The young guy who usually takes care of the mosque ... he saw an opportunity and pounced on [the gunman] and took his gun," Mazharuddin said.

"The hero tried to chase and he couldn't find the trigger in the gun ... he ran behind him but there were people waiting for him in the car and he fled."

Mazharuddin said friends around him had been shot in the chest and another in the head.

Candace Owens Ripped for ‘LOL’ Reaction After New Zealand Massacre Suspect Named Her Biggest Influence
Quote:
Candace Owens, right-wing commentator and Kanye West influencer, was on the defensive Thursday evening after the suspect in the mass killing of 49 people at two New Zealand mosques publicly named her as his biggest influence in a lengthy manifesto.

In several tweets — issued as bodies were still being counted — Owens jeered at critics whom she said were attempting to pin responsibility for the massacre on her.

“LOL! ???? FACT: I’ve never created any content espousing my views on the 2nd Amendment or Islam,” Owens said in response to one now deleted tweet. “The Left pretending I inspired a mosque massacre in…New Zealand because I believe black America can do it without government hand outs is the reachiest reach of all reaches!! LOL!”

HAHA OMG you racist Leftists are taking your racism and crazy to a whole new level hahah. Black people don’t have to be Democrats” now means…mosque shootings in New Zealand?” she continued. “This clearly won’t stick but damn if I won’t grow #BLEXIT highlighting your sheer desperation. ????????”

In an online manifesto, Tarrant wrote, “The person who has influenced me above all was Candace Owens” — but Gawker co-founder Elizabeth Spiers noted many “sarcastic” passages in the document and suggested that Owens’ mention may have been “trolling.”

Others took exception to her tweeted assertion that she had “never created any content espousing my views on the 2nd Amendment or Islam” and resurfaced past comments that suggested otherwise.

“Please remind [London mayor] @SadiqKhan that according to the birth rate, Europe will fall and become a Muslim majority continent by 2050,” Owens said in one tweet. “There has never been a muslim majority country where sharia law was not implemented. When we’re forced to save you guys (again) we’ll forgive the balloon.

Owens has had a meteoric career after being singled out for praise by singer Kanye West.

In regular speaking engagements and rallies she has championed the “Blexit” movement aimed at winning over black voters to the Republican Party. She received a rapturous reception at the 2019 Conservative Political Action Committee and was praised by President Trump himself.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 2:31 pm

… and white nationalists/supremacists wonder why normal, rational people don't respect them ...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 2:53 pm

Fnord wrote:
… and white nationalists/supremacists wonder why normal, rational people don't respect them ...

These days, it also describes conservatives as a whole.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 7:35 pm

But according to some on WP white supremacy is a myth and hardly any of them actually exist and we are all worried about nothing. People on here have said that very recently. Unsurprisingly, they are so far pretty quiet about this incident because I suppose it's a bad look to have a neo-nazi do a shooting like this just days after you've been online talking about how there aren't many neo-nazis in the world at all and there's no reason to be afraid of them.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 7:52 pm

Christchurch mosque shootings: Accused killer smirked as he appeared in court

Quote:
A 28-year-old man has appeared in court this morning charged with murder after yesterday's Christchurch mosque shootings.

Brenton Harrison Tarrant, whose address was given as Andersons Bay in Dunedin, made an appearance from custody at Christchurch District Court.

He appeared in white prison clothing, with manacled hands, and barefoot. He smirked when media photographed him in the dock, flanked by two police officers.

Christchurch mosque shootings: 'First terror attack designed for social media'
Quote:
Technology giants were told "enough is enough" after the massacre of 49 people at two mosques in Christchurch yesterday was live-streamed around the world in what has been described as the first "terror attack designed for social media".

Sajid Javid, the British Home Secretary, condemned tech firms' failure to stop the 17-minute video being shared for more than 10 hours after accused killer Brenton Tarrant allegedly opened fire on worshippers at prayer.

Reacting to a tweet in which YouTube claimed it was working to remove the footage, Javid said YouTube, Google, Facebook and Twitter "really need to do more to stop violent extremism being promoted on your platforms

Damian Collins, the chairman of the UK Commons culture committee, said it appeared to be a "terror attack designed for social media" and demonstrated why there had to be "statutory regulation of the distribution of content online through social networks".

"It's a viral contagion spread through social media, helped by their algorithms. The firms need to carry out a major audit into who was sharing this film and how it was shared. Groups have deliberately spread it and those accounts should be closed down."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 8:21 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
But according to some on WP white supremacy is a myth and hardly any of them actually exist and we are all worried about nothing. People on here have said that very recently. Unsurprisingly, they are so far pretty quiet about this incident because I suppose it's a bad look to have a neo-nazi do a shooting like this just days after you've been online talking about how there aren't many neo-nazis in the world at all and there's no reason to be afraid of them.

I notice the silence too. Aspies of all people should have empathy for other downtrodden minorities. I am sure the indignation would "magically" appear if it was a muslim terrorist,

A rogue muslim would precipitate questions about why insn't the muslim community doing something about this problem. In stark contrast a mass murderer who acts on prejudice that (lets be honest) most white folks carry is automatically labelled mentally ill.
The chap involved was not only a normal person, he showed no outward signs he would go psychopathic.

Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 10:38 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I notice the silence too. Aspies of all people should have empathy for other downtrodden minorities. I am sure the indignation would "magically" appear if it was a muslim terrorist,

A rogue muslim would precipitate questions about why insn't the muslim community doing something about this problem. In stark contrast a mass murderer who acts on prejudice that (lets be honest) most white folks carry is automatically labelled mentally ill.
The chap involved was not only a normal person, he showed no outward signs he would go psychopathic.

Didn't the Australian authorities say he wasn't on any watch lists, that's why they didn't see this coming? He was apparently normal enough to function to the extent that authorities weren't concerned about him until he decided to murder a bunch of people yesterday.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 11:27 pm

he wasn't on Australian or New Zealand watch lists

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 11:31 pm

Who?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2019, 12:57 am

I have said that white supremacists / neo-nazis are a fringe element, rather than the majority of conservatives, as it seems to be implied at times. That there are not mass swarms of neo-nazis everywhere. This murderer acted on his own. He was not under the direction of some large neo-nazi organization. It is wrong to blame Muslims for terrorists acts committed in the name of Islam, because they are committed by a fringe minority. Yet it seems acceptable to blame conservatives and the President because of a fringe minority or because of someone acting on their own.

Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2019, 1:11 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

Who?

If you don't already know that then you haven't been paying attention to the PPR and News subforums recently.

Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2019, 1:13 am

EzraS wrote:
This murderer acted on his own.

This is patently false. 3 other people were arrested for aiding him, and he was radicalized online. He was not alone in this, he shared his ideas with people online who encouraged him to do what he did, along with the people who drove him around to his two targets.