Is it a good idea to keep movies on bluray/dvd?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 3:38 pm

I read online that bluray and dvds are becoming obsolete because of streaming. Samsung has even quit making new bluray players. :|

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 3:43 pm

Speaking for myself, I want physical copies of everything I cherish.

I hate all the electronic stuff. The important things should be in real attainable form IMO, be it books, video games, movies, TV series
streams and online videos can disappear at any moment, I want instant access when I want it.

I guess I have to save up for some extra DVD players now

I hate this time and age in that regard. It's not for me.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 3:52 pm

Skilpadde wrote:

I hate all the electronic stuff. The important things should be in real attainable form IMO, be it books, video games, movies, TV series
streams and online videos can disappear at any moment, I want instant access when I want it.

I completely agree. :(

I prefer bluray over DVD because the discs don't break as easily, but a lot of my favorite movies aren't going to make it to bluray now. :(

I guess I should go ahead and get my favorite movies on bluray while I still can...

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 7:35 pm

I don’t understand the difference between Blu-ray & DVDs, I know Blu-Ray is more expensive. I have a built in Blu-Ray/DVD in my TV, I like DVDs better, I still have alot of stuff on VHS, my mom got me a DVD/VHS player that can also record & play music too. I kept my Game Boy from the 90s, my original one in B&W, I got rid of that. I have some of my cassettes. I can be stuck in the past. I don’t want to buy new iPhone when a new one comes out every year, the iPhone XS Max cost a little over $1,000 :( :roll: 8O 8O 8O :skull:

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 9:31 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
I read online that bluray and dvds are becoming obsolete because of streaming. Samsung has even quit making new bluray players. :|

Yes because now it's 4k, that's the only reason.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 9:38 pm

If your nostalgic about old things then yeah

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 10:19 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
I don’t understand the difference between Blu-ray & DVDs, I know Blu-Ray is more expensive. I have a built in Blu-Ray/DVD in my TV, I like DVDs better, I still have alot of stuff on VHS, my mom got me a DVD/VHS player that can also record & play music too. I kept my Game Boy from the 90s, my original one in B&W, I got rid of that. I have some of my cassettes. I can be stuck in the past. I don’t want to buy new iPhone when a new one comes out every year, the iPhone XS Max cost a little over $1,000 :( :roll: 8O 8O 8O :skull:

Blu-Ray offer a much better sound and picture quality, thanks to larger capacities (50GB over 8GB), more advanced video and sound compression, and greater resolution. (1920x1080 over 640x480)
On some movies, like 2001 a space odyssey and the Ghibli movies, the differences are striking.

enz wrote:
If your nostalgic about old things then yeah

Blu-ray is not a obsolete technology, and in fact offer better quality that streaming (50GB is a lot); it's not because streaming and cloud computing are new that they are better technologies.
More so, streaming got the major inconvenient of strict Geo-blocking, as I can't legally stream some french translation
of anime while I can potentially import them, for example, and that series and movies can be retired for copyrights reasons, or even censored, like recently with a Simpsons episode.
Of course DVD/Blu-ray can also have inconvenient, like been out of prints.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2019, 3:20 am

Once again if you want to keep buying the latest movies in the next few years you have to buy a 4k tv, 4k player, and 4k disks.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2019, 11:45 pm

I haven't used physical removable media for almost a decade; it's obsolete technology for most things. If you have garbage internet, it might be more convenient to obtain physical media.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 12:33 am

Skilpadde wrote:

I feel this way as well. That's why whenever I see an interesting film, documentary or whatever on YouTube, I always download it and keep a copy on a hard drive.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 4:36 am

DVDs don't seem obsolete to me yet. I mean the only way to get Game of Thrones, without finding someone with a pirated version is to pay HBO or just get the DVDs. I mean that is the only show I care about from HBO so I don't want to get a subscription for just one show. So seems more cost effective to just get the DVD when that comes out.

But also I have thought of getting an Xbox one X which that still has a disk drive, I have heard their next console may not have that or maybe that is just the lower cost version, maybe the more expensive one will still have it. I mean I prefer to have something I can play a DVD on for sure since I don't always want to pay for the streaming of certain shows.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 4:44 am

My only problem with DVDs is that the center ring chips too easily over time. I don't have that issue with bluray discs. :)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 5:06 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
My only problem with DVDs is that the center ring chips too easily over time. I don't have that issue with bluray discs. :)

hmm interesting, I've never had that issue at all but could be blue ray disks are a bit more durable. Main issue I have with DVDs is scratches. Bought the last season of Game of Thrones on disk at walmart(just don't buy movies or music there) brand new disk was all scratched up so it was skipping. Should have just brought it back to see if they would replace it but it is well past the returning date now. So I will try to fix it with toothpaste, buff out that scratch so hopefull y the disk reader will read it after that without skipping. From what I have read it depends on if the scratch is just on the surface or goes all the way through the disk if its just on the bottom plastic layer buffing it out should fix it....but if its further through then it likely won't work.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 5:17 am

I've never actually come across an instance of a new dvd being scratched, but I've bought a lot of secondhand ones and never cease to be amazed at the appallingly scratched state a lot of them are in. How on earth do people let them get like that - surely the average dvd spends pretty much the whole of its existence either inside its case or in the dvd player (or computer, I suppose)?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 6:03 am

I'm probably in the minority but I despise discs. Especially when it comes to Netflix having so much that's only available on disc, and I find that whole process annoying. I like the autonomy of streaming. I get to watch it the minute I want to rather than waiting for a disc in the mail. And I don't have to remember to send it back. And if I don't like the film I can just quit and try something else, without having to send it back and wait for something else to arrive in the mail. Most importantly I don't have to deal with a scratched disc. As for owning a bunch of discs, to me that just equals clutter. Streaming FTW.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 5:51 pm

DeepHour wrote:
I've never actually come across an instance of a new dvd being scratched, but I've bought a lot of secondhand ones and never cease to be amazed at the appallingly scratched state a lot of them are in. How on earth do people let them get like that - surely the average dvd spends pretty much the whole of its existence either inside its case or in the dvd player (or computer, I suppose)?

I've had the same experience and I wonder the same thing. The ones I've bought as new are still unscratched...

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765