Page 1 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Dec 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,347
Location: Smackass Gap, NC

16 Mar 2019, 6:33 pm

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2019
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,429
Location: Warner Robins, Ga

16 Mar 2019, 6:58 pm

Piobaire wrote:


Actually, left wing journalists are making people more hateful, more divided. I'm white, Trump hasn't made me hateful.



Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 655
Location: Midwest

16 Mar 2019, 7:16 pm

Correlation is there, but causation not proven.

Is Trump making people more hateful, because of what he is saying or is there an underlying factor that is driving both? Difficult to prove one way or another. I think the democrats heavy focus on identity politics has caused many whites to feel angry. I think Trump is preaching to this anger.

He may be fanning the flames, but he didn't set the blaze.

Identity politics are toxic. Tell people that their skin color defines their life, how do you think they will react?


_________________
"Never forget the battles you have fought and won."


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,163
Location: Houston, Texas

16 Mar 2019, 8:03 pm

I disagree, because these people were already hateful long before that.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 22 Jan 2017
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,857

16 Mar 2019, 8:10 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I disagree, because these people were already hateful long before that.


Disagreeing with empirical evidence seems pointless.

From the article:
Quote:
But a new, as yet unpublished study presented to the Midwest Political Science Association last month suggests that there’s a causal relationship between Trump’s demagoguery and those reports of racialized abuses. Brian Schaffner, a scholar at UMass Amherst, found empirical evidence that Trump’s rhetoric did indeed lead non-Hispanic whites to express more bigoted views of “the other.”

Shortly before the 2016 election, Schaffner randomly divided almost 1,200 non-Hispanic white respondents into four groups. He showed one, the control group, three relatively anodyne statements made by Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton during the course of the campaign. The second group was given the same three statements, and also shown an excerpt of Trump’s infamous Mexican-rapists speech. A third group saw a different inflammatory statement that had been tweeted by Trump: “Our great African-American President hasn’t exactly had a positive impact on the thugs who are so happily and openly destroying Baltimore.” And the final group was shown all five.

Schaffner then asked respondents to say something in their own words about African Americans, Mexicans, white people, politicians, the middle class, and millennials. (One tricky part of conducting a study like this is you have to avoid tipping off your subjects about what you’re looking for. So Schaffner presented the survey as an attempt to gauge how closely respondents were paying attention to the campaign. The inclusion of the middle class and millennials helped hide the purpose of the experiment.)

The results were surprising. Respondents who were exposed to Trump’s comments about “thugs” in Baltimore weren’t affected by that inflammatory statement to a significant degree, but those who read his tirade about Mexicans were. They made significantly more negative comments about the groups in question than those who only saw more conventional campaign rhetoric. Eight-hundred people were recruited to rate the comments on a scale from “very negative” to “very positive,” and Schaffner averaged out the results.

“The finding here that I think is really interesting,” Schaffner told me, “is that Trump’s language [about Mexicans] doesn’t just embolden people to say more negative and more offensive things about the group he’s talking about, but it actually leads them to say more offensive things about all groups.” Schaffner thinks “this pattern is likely due to the fact that the quote about Mexicans is particularly offensive.”



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,293
Location: Long Island, New York

16 Mar 2019, 8:20 pm

The article is not claiming Trump is making people more hateful. It is claiming he has made people more willing to express their bigotry.


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity


VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,598
Location: Illinois

16 Mar 2019, 8:24 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The article is not claiming Trump is making people more hateful. It is claiming he has made people more willing to express their bigotry.



_________________
If you embrace your inner child any harder, you'll suffocate the little bastard!


LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,398
Location: USA

16 Mar 2019, 8:26 pm

1. When Trump has press conferences with families who have family killed by illegal aliens, and shows you large pictures of these murdered people, it's hard not to feel anger towards illegal aliens.

Image

2. When Trump says "CHINA / Mexico are killing us on trade"; it's hard to not feel anger towards these people.
Image


_________________
After a failure, the easiest thing to do is to blame someone else.


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 38,671
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

16 Mar 2019, 8:47 pm

Crimadella wrote:
Piobaire wrote:


Actually, left wing journalists are making people more hateful, more divided. I'm white, Trump hasn't made me hateful.


Trump's whole political career is built on the racist, baseless birther lie, which spread like wild fire among racists. Kind hard to deny Trump had stoked the hate all this time.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 22 Jan 2017
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,857

16 Mar 2019, 8:53 pm

Crimadella wrote:
I'm white, Trump hasn't made me hateful.


This is known as anecdotal evidence and doesn't disprove the claim in the article.



Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2019
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,429
Location: Warner Robins, Ga

16 Mar 2019, 9:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Crimadella wrote:
Piobaire wrote:


Actually, left wing journalists are making people more hateful, more divided. I'm white, Trump hasn't made me hateful.


Trump's whole political career is built on the racist, baseless birther lie, which spread like wild fire among racists. Kind hard to deny Trump had stoked the hate all this time.


Yea, yea. Completely untrue but you are free to keep believing that. The radical portion of the left are doing way more damage, Trump actually isn't doing any damage other than being poor at communicating what he is saying. If white racism is even on the rise it has alot more to do with the radical left inciting racism by making white people feel outcasted by stating that being born white means there is something wrong with you and you are automatically racist because of your skin color. Racism is racism, people inciting racism are really messed up in the head and there are millions of them within the radical left doing just that. Racism incites racism, that was one of MLK's points. Adding to racism by being racist does not help get rid of racism, it breeds racism. It's as if the left desires racism and hate, it's what they preach. All racist people suck, that includes the larger portion of racist people on the left.



Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2019
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,429
Location: Warner Robins, Ga

16 Mar 2019, 9:07 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
Crimadella wrote:
I'm white, Trump hasn't made me hateful.


This is known as anecdotal evidence and doesn't disprove the claim in the article.

Would you agree that a left wing activist spray painting white supremacy symbols and racial slurs onto people's cars would increase hate and racism?

Just to point out, a black guy, left wing activist got caught doing this to spread the idea that racism among whites is increasing. (He didn't realize a street camera was recording him)

I don't trust the majority of left wing journalists, they lie way too much and they obviously have a goal to divide people just as all the fake hate crimes that have occurred over the last few years. The fake hate crimes I'may talking about are over 600 cases where the people where caught red handed making false claims about hate crimes towards them.



karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 22 Jan 2017
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,857

16 Mar 2019, 9:10 pm

Now all the hate crimes are fake and done by leftists to frame the right. Now we're resorting to crazy conspiracy theories.

This is when I leave the conversation because rational discussion becomes impossible.



Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2019
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,429
Location: Warner Robins, Ga

16 Mar 2019, 9:13 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
Now all the hate crimes are fake and done by leftists to frame the right. Now we're resorting to crazy conspiracy theories.

This is when I leave the conversation because rational discussion becomes impossible.

How very obsurb, they were confirmed to be false, you should practice reading my messages before commenting. All hate crimes are not fake, but 600 cases in the last few years were proved to be hoaxes by police and dectectives, hardly a conspiracy.

Not only has that occured, but to add, a certain socialist leftist spread his idea on how to attack his political enemy by using these tactics, he would get people to show up to republican politicians speeches, dressed in KKK uniforms to make people think that the Klan supported his political enemies. I would say that is a very low tactic and the left seems to partake in these practices, as they have gotten caught partaking in these pratices, like the black guy spray painting white supremacy crap on people's cars, he got in trouble for it by the way, he got caught by a street camera recording him.



Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2019
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,429
Location: Warner Robins, Ga

16 Mar 2019, 9:23 pm