Should I stay or should I go (from law school)

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

endersdragon34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2019, 12:22 am

Lately law school has been getting really stressful. I haven't been quite right, even for me, all term. But the past 3 weeks, I can't sleep, getting panic attacks like crazy, had a mental breakdown over spring break 2 weeks ago that lasted 5 days (maybe 4, I was somewhat better by Wednesday), still having panic attacks, can't concentrate enough to even play a game, studying somewhat works but is hard, not taking care of myself like I should be, obsessive about a mission that is almost done so not sure what happens when I get all the way done, etc. I don't know how long this will last and what could hep get me out of it. So here's a bit of a chart of the two options as I see them.

Go back home for a while, to my old job and eventually start a special education advocate company with my knowledge

Pros:
-can control my stress a bit more especially for now
-more time to get some therapy
-have someone to help make sure I am taking care of myself without going way out of my way
-I should be able to get into a better profession even if I have to make it up

Cons:
-feel like I am running away
-less money
-regret over not finishing to law school

Stay here and go into special education law
Pros:
-a sense of accomplishment
-more money
-an easier time getting a job in the end

Cons:
-an overwhelming sense of stress
-possible long term health problems coming from it (there is a reason substance abuse discussions are part of every 1L experience)
-harder job that might lead to more overwhelming stress
-possible regret that I don't work my old job anymore

So yea... not sure what to do.

endersdragon34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2019, 10:37 am

P.S. It is annoying to hear people say, "You can do it, I believe in you!" all the time. It feels like it just adds more pressure.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 10:15 am

I understand medication for panic attacks can work fairly well but often requires some tinkering to find right medication and/or amount.

When you say, obsessing over a mission. I’m thinking role-playing game or maybe school assignment?

Maybe learn just a little bit about the circadian clock and when your personal high energy times are, for example writing first drafts of papers, and when your medium energy times are, for example outlining stuff other people have written.

And as hard as it is during stressful times, maybe add some medium exercise?

endersdragon34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2019, 3:24 pm

I have been trying to find old friends, basically I am at the point where I should seriously back off of the mission (found links to all but one person, and I suspect that the one person was never real) but... yea... and I walk 3 miles a day... so yea I exercise.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 8:50 am

But aren't you already almost finished?

Why back out when the end is near?

My father dropped out after 3 years of college; he had regretted his decision ever since.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 10:19 am

If at all possible, I'd recommend graduating Law school. You don't have to practice law if it doesn't interest you, but having the degree and credentials will be beneficial to you in all future ventures. Status as a lawyer (JD / LLB) lends improved authority, expertise and professionalism to any business you pursue, and it would likely allow you to charge more money for whichever services you provide. You would be able to get larger business loans and be more credible in the consultancy field.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 12:11 pm

endersdragon34 wrote:
I have been trying to find old friends, basically I am at the point where I should seriously back off of the mission (found links to all but one person, and I suspect that the one person was never real) . . .
I think it's definitely a worthwhile project. And yes, I can see how it would hard to ease back away and shift to a lower gear, especially with the added mystery of whether or not one person is real.

Without giving details you're not comfortable giving, was this an Internet group which abruptly went down?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 12:53 pm

Or, maybe just finish the first year, as kind of a smoother stopping or pausing point?

I belatedly learned in the college how to downshift from creative, ambitious papers to something more middle-of-the-road. And to target that sweet spot between B+ and A- which I think provides about the best ratio of time to results.

endersdragon34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2019, 3:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
But aren't you already almost finished?

Why back out when the end is near?

My father dropped out after 3 years of college; he had regretted his decision ever since.

Almost done with my 1L year, there are 3 in all.

endersdragon34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2019, 3:08 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
endersdragon34 wrote:
I have been trying to find old friends, basically I am at the point where I should seriously back off of the mission (found links to all but one person, and I suspect that the one person was never real) . . .
I think it's definitely a worthwhile project. And yes, I can see how it would hard to ease back away and shift to a lower gear, especially with the added mystery of whether or not one person is real.

Without giving details you're not comfortable giving, was this an Internet group which abruptly went down?

Well we talked on AIM but we met either here or two other groups that are both down now, but not very abruptly.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2019, 6:35 pm

endersdragon34 wrote:
P.S. It is annoying to hear people say, "You can do it, I believe in you!" all the time. It feels like it just adds more pressure.

Strangers on the internet do not know if you can finish law school

Unless they are precognitive

In some situations you should give up. Sunk costs. Personal opportunity costs

In some situations you should persist. Long term goal

There are many factors and variables that determine the correct answer