Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 7:21 pm

My definition: A neurodevelopmental condition/disability that changes the way one processes information. This information is processed differently because of physical differences in brain structure that one is born with. People affected by this condition may find things such as socialization and executive function difficult and may be hypersensitive or hyposensitive to sensory stimuli. Every autistic person is unique, and no two given autistic people are exactly identical in traits.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 9:39 pm

You've heard of people "having a screw loose upstairs," right? Well, there are a set of little screws in the "Autism Spectrum" control box, and if most of them are 'way off, someone will have trouble talking or taking care of themselves. If only a few of them are set oddly, they are pretty stuck, but the brain can re-wire itself to do reasonably functional workarounds. Depending on which screws are the loose ones, and how many, the more functional AS folk can have a very wide range of differences. Sometimes the tricks used to overcome one disability produce a savant ability. That is unusual for a handicap. Blind people can excel at a few jobs if they care for them, but not to such extremes.
"If you've met one Aspie, you've met one Aspie."

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 9:59 pm

It is a natural, highly specialized type of brain development, that is disabling and because of being so specialized, prone to other issues.
It is also a collection of different genetic traits (And in less common cases sporadic mutation), that enough of can be disabling, but most traits still have some form of advantage at least on their own.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 2:41 pm

An inability to "tune in." Many aren't even aware that they aren't tuned in, or that the majority of people around them are. Most with autism don't even know what being "tuned in" (in this regard) even means.