Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 4:12 pm

So well... Because hopefully my husband is going to get help in the home, he told me that I could apply for like a seasonal job or something and he would stay here in our apartment. So yesterday I put in a few job applications... And as of today I already got one confirmed interview and a second place that I have a feeling might set up one cause they asked me to fill out more of an application... What they both have in common is they are seasonal jobs working at kids camps but I would have to make it clear about my physical activity limitations... The one place that already wants to talk to me is out of state. The other camp is less than 20 miles from my apartment but you are only employed 3 days a week for two months for 65 dollars a day (lousy)... I mean I didn't expect such a fast reaction...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 6:00 pm

If you get an offer, take it!

The low pay will probably keep you on your disability income, but at the same time build your resume and get some recent references.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 6:20 pm

Sounds like you would be some sort of "counselor" at the camp.

Yep. Those are low-paying jobs. But better than nothing.

Some counselor jobs don't have much physical exertion---like maybe you will be in the "nature" department of the camp.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 7:45 pm

I also got a response (but no interview yet) from a volunteer training position. No cash salary but they provide a place to stay. This is scientific instead of teaching. Basically they teach you to band (catch birds in nets, take scientific measurements, put a numbered band on leg, release bird) so many bird jobs require this skill but I never see a training job for it that pays... I've helped set up the nets, and once even took a bird out of a net and tried to put a band on it but bird got away from me lol...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 7:59 pm

You would be uprooting yourself again.

I would take the camp job, if I were you.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 4:10 pm

The other issue is I talked to the program about care for my husband but they said he doesn't qualify because basically he's not a total involid (he can feed himself, walk with assistance of a walker, dress himself, bath himself, etc....)

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 5:26 pm

Now the girl scout camp wants to interview me... (The one close to my home) but that is the one that doesn't pay well... The state job is interested but might pay too much... The other job pays about the right amount but would require relocating... Ugh

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 5:32 pm

With the Girl Scout Camp job, you'll get some extra bucks without having it affecting (your husband's) benefits too much.

Is one of the jobs a "civil service" job? If it is, I'd go for it. You get great benefits. You usually have a six-month probation period. Once you pass that, and you become permanent civil service, your job security is excellent. And you get a pension when you retire, too.

I have a civil service job. I'm going to retire with a pension.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 7:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
With the Girl Scout Camp job, you'll get some extra bucks without having it affecting (your husband's) benefits too much.

Is one of the jobs a "civil service" job? If it is, I'd go for it. You get great benefits. You usually have a six-month probation period. Once you pass that, and you become permanent civil service, your job security is excellent. And you get a pension when you retire, too.

I have a civil service job. I'm going to retire with a pension.

That one job is labeled as a "non-career seasonal" it's a state of Michigan job. Benefits are listed as part of the job description but I looked up definitions and "non-career" means no benefits? I would ask for clarification but I don't want it to look like I'm just after benefits?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 10:55 pm

Interview for them all*, you don't have to make a decision until you're offered something.

*The one that would require relocating, either do a Skype interview or they have to pay for your transportation, or else don't do it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 10:59 pm

There’s nothing wrong with being “after benefits.”

We know the exhorbitant cost of healthcare in the US.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2019, 11:35 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There’s nothing wrong with being “after benefits.”

We know the exhorbitant cost of healthcare in the US.

From what I understand, if you are on SSI and you go back to work and if they determine that medical care related to your disability is necessary for you to work and the job doesn't provide benefits then if you make under a certain amount of money you get to keep your Medicaid.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2019, 11:52 am

For a married couple, the Medicaid limit is an income of $1,409 a month in Michigan.

For a single person, it's $1,041.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2019, 5:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
For a married couple, the Medicaid limit is an income of $1,409 a month in Michigan.

For a single person, it's $1,041.

In Michigan if you have SSI you automatically get Medicaid even if you have a low paying job giving you some extra income.

I have another girl scout camp in Michigan that wants to interview me. Disadvantage is that it's two hours drive from here and I would have to live there while I worked. Advantage is that the position focuses on science/nature education and that's my background and pays more than other camp.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2019, 5:19 pm

Two hours drive is really not that much. I commute, sometimes, two hours one way to my job.

I'm thinking you're more concerned about the cost of gas.

This really sounds like a potentially good situation for you.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2019, 9:28 am

The falcon job I called someone about... May-Oct, no benefits, mainly in Detroit area. (The lady thought I was maybe too far being more Southeast of Detroit) job requires you to be on-call for "falcon emergencies"...