Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 4:36 pm

Dutch shooting: Utrecht police arrest suspect after three killed

Quote:
A man has been arrested following a shooting on a tram in the Dutch city of Utrecht which left three people dead, police say.
Five others were injured in the incident, and authorities say the attacker's motive remains unclear.
Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish man, was detained several hours after the attack. It is not yet clear where he was arrested.

At about 10:45 local time (09:45 GMT), police were called to reports of a shooting on board one of the city's trams at the 24 Oktoberplein junction.

One witness told local media that "a man started shooting wildly".
Several of the injured are in a critical condition.

The gunman then fled the scene, leading to the manhunt which lasted for much of Monday.

Police said the shooting appeared to be a terrorist incident but, at a press conference on Monday evening, a prosecutor said it could have been motivated by "family reasons".
Mr Tanis was known to Dutch police, the prosecutor added.

A local businessman told BBC Turkish that Gokmen Tanis had previously fought in Russia's republic of Chechnya.
Jihadist groups, including those aligned with the Islamic State (IS) group, have long operated in the region.
"He was arrested because of his connections with [IS] but released later," the businessman told the BBC.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 8:41 pm

Dutch police make new arrest in deadly Utrecht tram shooting

Quote:
Authorities in the Netherlands have arrested another person on suspicion of involvement in a tram shooting which left three people dead and others injured.

The man, only identified as a 40-year-old, was taken into custody as investigators continue to look into any alleged involvement in the attack, Dutch prosecutors said in a statement Tuesday.

Two other suspects who were previously arrested — a 23-year-old and a 27-year-old — have been released from custody, while Gokmen Tanis, the 37-year-old Turkish suspect who was captured during a raid on Monday, remains in jail.

The suspect was accused of rape in 2017 and was jailed in that case from August to September 2017 and then again from Jan. 4 this year because he refused to work with authorities investigating the case. He was released on March 1 after pledging to cooperate.

Tanis was also convicted in March of shoplifting and burglary in 2018. He was handed a prison sentence of four months for the burglary and a week for the shop theft, but has not served any time yet as the cases can still be appealed.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman