Kids With Severe Autism Often Overlooked In Research

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2019, 9:18 am

It may be that fewer severely autistic kids are institutionalized these days, making them harder for researchers to gain access for research purposes.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2019, 12:36 pm

Sergio Maretto wrote:
I would guess it's mostly because It Is hard to deal with people with severe autism, they are hardly cooperative, and may even hurt somebody if they have a crisis.

I was once reading a book written by someone who grew up with a brother with severe autism. But anyway, the family decided it was time they put him in a home but unfortunately all the good homes and places they could find wouldn't take him because he was too severe and they were not equipped for his needs and his aggression. Those homes were for people who were less severe and none violent and the places they could find that could handle him were brutal because they used abusive forces on violent patients. So the parents were trapped. They had no safe environment and no life but yet they couldn't just have him get mistreated. The sad ending is he ended up being the ward of the state and he had gotten worse in a institution.

So sad because no one knows what to do with violent patients with severe disabilities. If I remember correctly, the autistic brother was always spending his time in a straight jacket to keep from attacking staff workers and he was basically treated like a wild animal in a cage. The NT brother also blamed it on him saying he refused to get better when he was given treatment as a child but always refused. It was pretty clear in the book he didn't want to get better and he was in control of his actions because the moment he found out he was going to be sent away, he was on his best behavior so he wasn't violent anymore. Mmmm?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 5:02 am

Crimadella wrote:
What is more common, the higher functioning autism or severe autism?
Maybe it has something to do with clumping all forms of autism into one category that no longer distinguishes different types of autism? Not sure exactly why they did that, it seems that distinguishing between different kinds of autism would be important, now it's just one diagnosis, Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Yes but you can't have it both ways.

The loud/vocal parents of high functioning kids (classified as Aspergers) wanted to access/share in funding that was previously earmarked to children on the low end of the spectrum (classic Kanner's autism).

So the lumping together in DSMV was largely driven by increasing access to funding. So these parents who previously didn't want their children associated with the intellectually disabled are now happy to carry the label to get financial and educational support (which of course they need).

It's like the "artist formerly known as Prince". Aspies are now "autistic people formerly known as Aspergers"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 8:29 am

cyberdad wrote:
The loud/vocal parents of high functioning kids (classified as Aspergers) wanted to access/share in funding that was previously earmarked to children on the low end of the spectrum (classic Kanner's autism).

So the lumping together in DSMV was largely driven by increasing access to funding.

No, the opposite was true. Aspergers was subsumed because it was felt the Aspergers was driving Autism over diagnoses and this over diagnoses needed to stop in order to cut costs.
Why Claim Asperger's is Overdiagnosed?
Quote:
Susan Swedo, chair of the DSM-5 neurodevelopmental disorders workgroup, said in May that many people who identify with Asperger’s Syndrome “don't actually have Asperger's disorder, much less an autism spectrum disorder.”

Catherine Lord, the director of the Institute for Brain Development at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, and another member of the workgroup, told Scientific American in January, “If the DSM-IV criteria are taken too literally, anybody in the world could qualify for Asperger's or PDD-NOS.

David Kupfer, chair of the task force charged with the DSM revisions, blurted to the New York Times in January: “We have to make sure not everybody who is a little odd gets a diagnosis of autism or Asperger Disorder. It involves a use of treatment resources. It becomes a cost issue.”

Bolding mine

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 10:24 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
David Kupfer, chair of the task force charged with the DSM revisions, blurted to the New York Times in January: “We have to make sure not everybody who is a little odd gets a diagnosis of autism or Asperger Disorder. It involves a use of treatment resources. It becomes a cost issue.”

Yes I see what you mean, getting a diagnosis of autism now requires problems in early childhood which effectively excludes diagnosis for adults.

How this decision process was fairly multifarious in terms of those agitating for change coming from different sections of the autistic community.

Parents of children with Asperger type traits still want services for their kids whether it be OT, learning assistance or social skills