Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2019, 11:57 pm

The problem with nonSTEM degrees for autistics

Is that non STEM jobs tend to be way too social for autistics.

At least, for me

High school diploma jobs have a lot of competition

Restaurant retail sales

Office, warehouse, manufacturing, trades ok

Although autistics with no degree isn't too great either

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2019, 12:17 pm

Non-STEM jobs do tend to be too social for autistics. Also, one usually has to network (it's who you know, not what you know) to get those jobs.

I agree that autistic with no degree is the worst...I can't think of anyone like that who isn't living with family and/or is on welfare.

KyCoo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2019, 6:02 am

While I am all about the non-STEM education, the statistics cannot be all that different because i do see so many people with liberal arts degree being unemployed or at least having to settle for lesser-than-ideal jobs :(

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 6:30 am

Or you could go to St John's College in Santa Fe. Or St John's College in Annapolis.

See https://www.sjc.edu.

From their link:

Quote:
At the heart of St. John’s College undergraduate program is an interdisciplinary liberal arts curriculum focused on the most important books and ideas of Western civilization. Following the Great Books reading list, all classes are conducted seminar-style, with faculty facilitating the discussion. Areas of study include philosophy, literature, history, mathematics, economics, political theory, theology, biology, physics, music, chemistry, and languages. Our liberal arts undergraduate program is a truly comprehensive education that is perhaps the most rigorous in America.

The last I heard, they only offer one bachelors degree and two master's degrees.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 1:40 pm

I have been teaching myself various database and data analysis software, though I wonder if it will be an asset considering it wasn’t learned in a formal setting.

GIS and urban planning are the only two fields that I know with certainty I am qualified for.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ToWhomItMayConcern
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Apr 2019, 4:58 pm

As someone who currently works at a daycare I agree aspies shouldn't be working with children. 8O

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Apr 2019, 5:09 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I have been teaching myself various database and data analysis software, though I wonder if it will be an asset considering it wasn’t learned in a formal setting.

I don't know a lot about it, but I've heard there are certifications you can get that people take seriously in computer science.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 1:38 pm

kokopelli wrote:
Or you could go to St John's College in Santa Fe. Or St John's College in Annapolis.

See https://www.sjc.edu.

From their link:
Quote:
At the heart of St. John’s College undergraduate program is an interdisciplinary liberal arts curriculum focused on the most important books and ideas of Western civilization. Following the Great Books reading list, all classes are conducted seminar-style, with faculty facilitating the discussion. Areas of study include philosophy, literature, history, mathematics, economics, political theory, theology, biology, physics, music, chemistry, and languages. Our liberal arts undergraduate program is a truly comprehensive education that is perhaps the most rigorous in America.

The last I heard, they only offer one bachelors degree and two master's degrees.

My daughter was interested in going there, until I found out they have maybe a 60% completion rate (which means a 40% dropout rate).