What are your food habits and diet views?

Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 12:46 pm

I lean toward Keto.

I can't do full Keto for health reasons, but I don't eat many carbs or simple sugars.

I don't do anything low-fat either, because they're usually full of sugar.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 10:16 pm

I also like elk.i want to have elk on my land in the Texas Hill Country and its very tasty and one elk will last you a very long time so that would be very good.I also want to eat a a lot of axis from our ranch.I also want to try veal.I think eating every kind of food is okay even every taboo kind of food.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 1:54 pm

i try to stick to keto but its difficult as people offer me sandwiches often

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2022, 9:39 am

I'm banning or at least dramatically cutting sugar from my life.

And moodiness, apparently, happens to me around 2 weeks.

I want to see this through. But I'm not sure if it's sustainable with while still having a job and all that.

I just want a more permanent solution.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 1:17 pm

I eat a low fat high carb diet. In addition to my three meals a day, I eat a lot of fruit, vegetables and a handful of walnuts everyday.

This works well for me, as I mostly eat what I like, and use the energy from carbs for my workouts.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 1:30 pm

I eat what I want, when I want. I tend to go on jags where I will eat the same thing over and over until I get focused on something else. I also seem to know what may be digestively problematic later. Luckily, I like most foods if not textures.

One thing I have to be careful of is eating the correct amount of something. I can go days not eating or I can eat too much of things that are agreeable.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 4:29 am

I've never been on a diet. I'm not picky and pretty much like everything except some junk food and candies. I try to cook balanced meals with protein, carbs, veggies and fruit everyday, having as much variety as possible. For produce we mostly eat seasonally. They're fresher and cheaper that way. I prefer water over any other drink, but would drink just about anything. I love trying new food and get excited about stuff I never had before. :D I am very grateful that my autistic family are just like me and would eat anything.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:10 am

I used to eat a lot of onions but got out of the habit over the last 15 years or so.

I'm starting to eat them a lot again. My goal is one large onion per day.

Why onions, you may ask? About 40 years or so ago, there was an article in Scientific American about onions. The article made it very clear that onions are good for your heart. It talked about a group in India who average about a pound of onions per person per day and heart disease is very rare in that group. If I remember correctly, the article talked about the compounds in onions practically melting the atherosclerotic plaque from the arteries.

I've also started eating garlic much more than I ever have. For example, I made my supper last night by:
1) one medium sized sweet onion -- I sliced it and then cut each slice into quarters and sauteed the pieces in olive oil.
2) a handful of sliced mushrooms -- I sauteed them in butter in a separate pan. When I needed the pan that the onions were in,
3) I dumped the onions from the pan into the mushrooms and finished them together.
4) Chicken - I removed the tendon from two smallish chicken tenderloins, sliced the tenderloins in half to make them thinner and easier to cook, and then sauteed them in the pan that had held the onions.
5) garlic - I removed the papery skin for a head of garlic and the individual cloves. (This was actually my first step.) While the chicken was cooking, I finely chopped the garlic cloves and added these to the chicken once the chicken was pretty much done. Note that you don't want to add the garlic too early because you don't want to burn it because that really ruins the flavor.
6) After adding the finely chopped garlic, I mixed the sauteed mushrooms and onions in with the chicken and garlic and let them finish together, stiffing very often to protect the garlic from burning.
7) While attempting to avoid the remaining oils, I ladeled the contents over freshly cooked Jasmine rice.

One medium onion and one head of garlic. That was one of the best meals I ate this year. It was fabulous.

For what it's worth, I used to put a slice of onions about half an inch thick on a hamburger. I got a hamburger at a fairly decent hamburger place (if you can avoid the food poisoning) (seriously) and asked for extra onions. Instead, they sauteed some onions and put on the hamburger, but still about the same amount of onions they would have put on anyway. I may have to take my own onions if I ever go back again.

I also used to slick and coarsely chop a large onion to add to spaghetti sauce for just myself. I haven't done this in a while, but intend to start doing it again.

I saw a recipe the other day for a baked onion using a large onion. I intend to try that soon. Maybe tonight.

Bratwurst? Add a sauteed onion.

Hot dogs -- sprinkle plenty of raw chopped onions on the hot dog. This is especially good with chili dogs.

Enchiladas - mix sauteed onions in with the chicken or beef when ready to put into the corn tortillas. Pour the enchilada sauce on top and then sprinkled raw onions on top before baking for a few minutes.

Burritos - add chopped onions, of course.

Fajitas - at least one large sauteed onion along with green bell pepper. This is one of my favorite meals that I cook.

Dry beans and also field peas -- slice an entire onion into half inch wide slices and add to the beans early in the cooking process.

The point is that going on a diet can be quite healthy without being something to suffer through. I really do like onions. I had almost forgotten how much I like onions.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:14 am

DanielW wrote:
I eat what I want, when I want. I tend to go on jags where I will eat the same thing over and over until I get focused on something else. I also seem to know what may be digestively problematic later. Luckily, I like most foods if not textures.

One thing I have to be careful of is eating the correct amount of something. I can go days not eating or I can eat too much of things that are agreeable.

I get real tired real quick eating the same thing day after day. That's one ready why I rarely bother to make enough to have lefltovers.

On the other hand, like you, I used to often go two or three days without eating, especially on weekends. There ave been times when I would eat lunch with people at the office on Friday and then not eat anything else, even snacks, until Sunday night. This wasn't because I wanted to avoid eating -- it's just that I didn't have the social cues to remind me to eat.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:25 am

My diet is probably leaning towards being of poor quality, although not excessively so.

I don't like or eat veggies, that is the biggest issue I have. And I eat too much junk food. I realise the risks but I seem to put enjoyment before being sensible a lot of the time.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:43 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
My diet is probably leaning towards being of poor quality, although not excessively so.

I don't like or eat veggies, that is the biggest issue I have. And I eat too much junk food. I realise the risks but I seem to put enjoyment before being sensible a lot of the time.

In the early 1990's, I started experiencing diarrhea on a daily basis. The doctor was of no use.

One day at a book store, the Chinese woman who owned it asked me how I had been feeling lately because I was looking a bit under the weather. Not being good at not answering directly, I told her about that. She had me wait while she went back into the book shelves and returned with a book for me to read. I tried to pay for it, but she refused payment.

The book was written by a doctor with similar symptoms and he advocated a macrobiotic diet. I didn't go that far, but I did become mostly a vegetarian. Within days, the diarrhea disappeared for good. I spent two years as a semi-vegetarian (I still ate [tuna]fish or turkey -- usually at Subway) on occasion, but generally didn't eat any meats for a couple of weeks or more at a time.

After two years, I cautiously returned slowly to eating meat and the diarrhea never returned. However, I had become comfortable with a vegetarian diet. Today, although I wouldn't consider myself to be vegetarian, I frequently eat meals with no meat.

For example, one of my favorites is a bean sandwich. I'll cook pinto beans in a crockpot along with a large onion. (If you want meat in it, feel free to add some cooked bacon or sausage toward the end). When done, I'll smush up the beans just enough to keep them from rolling off of the sandwich and put them on a whole wheat hamburger bun. Some mustard on top of that, onions, pickles, and other toppings (instead of lettuce, rinse fresh alfalfa sprouts if you can get them where you live). This makes one awfully fine sandwich with no meat.

By the way, I used to make chili several times a year. I found a Mexican bean recipe that I really like and now eat that instead of chili. It does have some pieces of bacon in it as well as the pinto beans, onions, cilantro, tomatoes, and clamato juice.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 2:02 pm

I've struggled with my weight my whole life. I eat my feelings so it's a problem.

I learned about keto some years ago and I'm in two minds about it. One mind says eating that much fat and such restricted fruit/vegetables can't be healthy - ketosis is a natural state but not one that you would naturally be in for prolonged periods. The other mind knows that when I eat keto my weight returns to a healthy level, any skin issues I have clear up, my mood stabilises, my motivation to exercise returns and my brain is clearer.

I tend to think that there isn't a 'right' way for everyone to eat. Find what your body feels good on and go with that.

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Sep 2023, 7:13 am

10 years ago my eating was out of control. I was a sugar addict. Ice cream was my downfall. I bought it by the gallon tub. At my worst I weighed 306 pounds (139 kg) I tried the Atkin’s diet and lost about 100 lbs (45 kg) on it. It took 18 months. It is a very restrictive diet, but it worked for me because it kept me away from sugar and sweets.

Then I switched to the Mediterranean diet and lost another 40 pounds (18 kg) or so. It is the healthiest diet I’ve ever tried. Now I’ve been normal weight for 2 years. But I have to cook everything myself.

I do meal prep on the weekends. I don’t eat snacks. I don’t eat wheat, corn, or soy. I don’t eat flour of any kind. When I eat grain it has to be cooked in an instant pot like porridge.

I keep a spreadsheet of everything I eat. It tracks all the macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) plus sodium, fiber and price.

I feel strongly about avoiding ultra-processed and/or high carb food. I know how dangerous it is for me and yet I’m still susceptible to losing control and binging on ice cream about once every 2 weeks. But once I get my sugar fix somehow the cravings stop for a while and I lose the weight I gained. I’ve gained and lost the same 5 lbs over and over.

Now I’m playing around with intermittent fasting to help keep the weight down after a binge. Right now I'm trying a 16 hour fast everyday. It’s funny, the last time I succumbed to an ice cream binge I was still able to restrict it to my 8 hour feeding window. :roll:

Missmagoo
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Sep 2023, 8:24 am

All my life, I have never eaten highly processed food (thanks mom!). I have always hated fast food and overly greasy foods. Never been a fan of cakes, never drank sodas. I have been a vegetarian for several years, now I moved to a WFPB diet. I am happy not to harm animals (dairy and egg industries are simply cruel). I noticed an improve in my mood and brain functioning, not to mention other body functions… And I am happy no suffering from sentient beings gets into my body. I feel so clean! I don’t drink coffee and alcohol. I drink Earl grey tea and Tchai. I don’t eat sugar. The only sugar I get comes from fruits. Some people think I am obsessed, but they have all sort of malaises and I don’t 8) . If you’re interested, check videos on YouTube on WFPB diet. Especially American and UK doctors. I love cooking vegetables - it’s so relaxing to cut them. And I don’t obsess on food and use it as a social binder as I used to do before. It’s merely nutrition. This leaves me open to new interests.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2023, 8:31 am

kokopelli wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

In the early 1990's, I started experiencing diarrhea on a daily basis. The doctor was of no use.

One day at a book store, the Chinese woman who owned it asked me how I had been feeling lately because I was looking a bit under the weather. Not being good at not answering directly, I told her about that. She had me wait while she went back into the book shelves and returned with a book for me to read. I tried to pay for it, but she refused payment.

The book was written by a doctor with similar symptoms and he advocated a macrobiotic diet. I didn't go that far, but I did become mostly a vegetarian. Within days, the diarrhea disappeared for good. I spent two years as a semi-vegetarian (I still ate [tuna]fish or turkey -- usually at Subway) on occasion, but generally didn't eat any meats for a couple of weeks or more at a time.

After two years, I cautiously returned slowly to eating meat and the diarrhea never returned. However, I had become comfortable with a vegetarian diet. Today, although I wouldn't consider myself to be vegetarian, I frequently eat meals with no meat.

For example, one of my favorites is a bean sandwich. I'll cook pinto beans in a crockpot along with a large onion. (If you want meat in it, feel free to add some cooked bacon or sausage toward the end). When done, I'll smush up the beans just enough to keep them from rolling off of the sandwich and put them on a whole wheat hamburger bun. Some mustard on top of that, onions, pickles, and other toppings (instead of lettuce, rinse fresh alfalfa sprouts if you can get them where you live). This makes one awfully fine sandwich with no meat.

By the way, I used to make chili several times a year. I found a Mexican bean recipe that I really like and now eat that instead of chili. It does have some pieces of bacon in it as well as the pinto beans, onions, cilantro, tomatoes, and clamato juice.

It is good that you took steps to address some of your physical symptoms around food, kokopelli.

It takes discipline to do that. Vegetarianism works well for a lot of people. I have a real life friend who is vegetarian. :salut:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 2:08 am

For now I'm cutting off sugary stuff...
The compromise is that I'd still eat meals that I like to eat instead of chosing 'healthy yet have to tolerate'.

Because I cannot cut off sugar and while having to 'choose healthy foods that I had to tolerate' at the same time.

I had to do so one at the time or it won't last a week, all it takes is some one negative thing or get a bit stressed off to undo all that wasted effort.
I might as well have more luck holding my breath for a week.

I need something else to replace consuming sugar as a form of 'coping' -- I cannot just do that while feeling a bit miserable of not having to eat my sugar free yet first choice for a meal favorites.

I'm aiming for losing sugar addiction first.
Any indulgent stuff are 'safer' stuff than triggering/perpetuating sugar addiction.
That's all for now.

Once I'm over sugar addiction, that's when I'd start 'eating mindfully healthy'.

Weight is never my concern. I still don't understand to be honest, the concern for gaining weight.

I could eat basically tubs of ice cream, several pieces of chocolates and candies, and so much junk food every day and not gain much on top of several servings of meals -- I'm still, borderline underweight and past mid 20s.

Slim but not necessarily healthy.
It's genetic -- because so does my mom and several of my aunts and uncles on her side of the family.
Never had to mind quantity or number of servings. I had to mind how frequent I eat certain stuff however.

In contrast with my dad's side of the family -- they gain weight easily and lose hard.
Only that I'm quite wary about becoming diabetic. Metabolic issues seems to run in that side of the family.

Why I want to change is because of my self control (and I do not mean 'gaining' discipline, but more like having means to be discipline)
It's my blood work. It's my hormones and how it's interfering with my life. It's my fricking demanding head and whiny body.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.