What are your food habits and diet views?

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 3:36 am

I mostly enjoy veggies and nuts because they're healthy and usually don't require much preparation. When it comes to my diet view I think eating healthy is very important so one probably can ensure a good future and I'm not a supporter of the YOLO attitude on this, there's food which tastes better but if you can manage to straighten up you've given yourself a good reward, sometimes hard work is worth it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Mar 2019, 11:33 am

I love fast-food & junk-food. I've always been a very picky eater who cant cook much. People were worried I would die when I was little cuz of how little food I ate due to being a picky eater who couldn't get the food he wanted then. Nowadays I eat a lot more variety than I used to but I'm still very picky.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 11:48 am

PS I'm very happy of my current diet because most of it are healthy products who's often just stuff I can pick from the shelf and drink/eat without having to learn a long recipe and the most advanced stuff I make is popping popcorn.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2019, 8:23 pm

I don't cook much either due to executive dysfunction. I can do some simple things, like scramble eggs, cook fish in the oven, create soups in a saucepan (usually a cream soup mixed with a canned vegetable, canned tuna, and added basil leaves), and saute vegetables/stir-fry in my skillet. I do those things when I have added time and feel more ambitious. Otherwise it's easier to heat stuff in the microwave, so I look for nutritious options, like the Healthy Choice Power Bowls and anything by Amy's. For snacks, I'm like the OP in that I love veggies and nuts. I always try to have fresh veg and fruit around to snack on. Favorites include carrots, radishes, apples, and bananas. I also love eating cheap raw herbs like parsley and cilantro (I love the soap taste, which makes me weird). Weaknesses include processed meats, chips, and pizza. I don't get those every week, or else I try to limit my portions when I do get them. I don't do fast food much anymore because I'd rather budget my food money on what I can get at the grocery store. Also I don't like to be out in public much anyway, and getting fast food is being out in public when I don't have to be.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 4:20 am

I'm an everything in moderation kind of guy and a pretty accomplished cook - I only cook from scratch, with fresh ingredients. In this light, I think it's a huge misconception to assume healthy food is (supposed to be) bad of bland tasting.

While I'm very active and healthy, I guess it helps that I don't like sweets and soda and hate the smell and taste of fast food or a lot of highly processed stuff. But I don't hesitate to use butter and other vilified ingredients, maintaining a good balance seems to have spared me either getting fat or having any food-related health issues. YMMV, of course.

revenant124
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2019, 5:23 am

iam completely plant-based. no meat, no junk-food and no processed stuff.

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 6:20 am

revenant124 wrote:
iam completely plant-based. no meat, no junk-food and no processed stuff.

Thumbs up to you, that's a diet I'm very fond of.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 6:36 am

I cook nearly all of my own food. My main criteria is what is relatively easy to fix. For example, hamburgers, fish sandwiches, fish sticks, sausage, eggs, baked potato, bean burritos, bean tostadas, tuna fish sandwiches, fried or baked chicken, eggs, salad, and so on. Sometimes I make a meal out of mashed potatoes and field peas.

There are many weeks when I don't eat out at all. If I do eat out, it is maybe one or two meals during the week.

I was once a vegetarian for a couple of years because of a specific health problem and did not find it a bad diet. One of my favorite things then was tempura vegetables.

One thing I really missed as a vegetarian was mustard. About the only thing I used mustard on then was a bean sandwich on a whole wheat bun with mustard and alfalfa sprouts. If not for mustard, I might have stayed vegetarian.

Years ago when I lived near an Indian owned convenience store with a mostly Indian selection of foods, I would keep a rotating Indian buffet. Each meal, I would cook enough of one item that would last a few days. I would have about four or five containers of various leftovers and would put a little of each on a plate and a little of what I just cooked and then heat it all up. That was probably about as good as I ever had it.

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 10:10 am

I used to drink a lot of coffee and tea but in the end I don't need extra energy/caffeine/theine, water is enough for me to get hydrated. I still drink some tea though because next to water It's probably the healthiest drink.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 3:32 pm

I'm tempted to increase my fiber intake, but supposedly fiber can affect the amount of my daily thyroxine pills that is absorbed.

inkgirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2019, 7:07 pm

I eat pretty much anything and everything. I've never been a picky eater, I'm always ready to try new foods. I generally try to stay away from wheat (it seems to make my stomach upset) and milk (which also makes my stomach upset). I like to eat anything with rice, especially chicken curry, bulgogi, and any sort of meat dish my mom makes. I'd say I mostly eat carbs, but it really depends on the day. Some days I feel like salad, and some days I feel like pbjs.

I think that eating less processed foods, and not a lot of sugar is the way to go. Also, don't forget your veggies! I lived in Korea for four years when I was little, and my dad is Chinese-Filipino, so I have a love of pretty much all Asian food.

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jul 2019, 1:00 pm

I’m pretty strict with what I eat. No processed foods, everything from scratch. Food has been like medicine for me, changing my diet has been a huge part in me healing my autoimmune conditions and my gut. I avoid gluten and limit sugar, dairy, and nightshades. I eat lots of nuts, veggies, fish, seafood, venison, and some grains and fruit. Tons of the food we eat is grown locally or gathered by us or another family member. I was a vegetarian for 20 years previously but had to switch it up when I started getting ill.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 6:54 pm

You only live once is a bit extreme

Eating correctly is obsessive compulsive disorder and, orthorexia nervous

Besides even if you eat perfect diet, you could get shot tomorrow

So I take a middle road

Or at least, I try to

More like, try and fail

Gorging a lot

Out of control

Gorging like Prader Willi syndrome

Then bowel movement takes time and energy

Like Lamaze

:ninja:

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 12:24 am

leahbear wrote:
I’m pretty strict with what I eat. No processed foods, everything from scratch. Food has been like medicine for me, changing my diet has been a huge part in me healing my autoimmune conditions and my gut. I avoid gluten and limit sugar, dairy, and nightshades. I eat lots of nuts, veggies, fish, seafood, venison, and some grains and fruit. Tons of the food we eat is grown locally or gathered by us or another family member. I was a vegetarian for 20 years previously but had to switch it up when I started getting ill.

I would really like to eat a better diet with foods prepared from scratch, but I just don't have the time.

Tyla
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2022, 6:15 am

kokopelli wrote:
leahbear wrote:

I would really like to eat a better diet with foods prepared from scratch, but I just don't have the time.

In todays fast moving world it's hard to find time just for eating, I don't even talk about cooking a lot... So I do sometimes eat fast food...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 6:34 pm

There's a small list of foods and drinks that I don't like.

I don't drink tea, coffee or alcohol. Oh, and water, unless I'm really thirsty and it's the only available drink.

In the vegetable group I only like broccoli, green beans, cauliflower and peas.

I like most fruits though.

I like most other things. The things I strongly dislike are nuts, parsnips, coconut, carrots, beetroot, mayonnaise, eggs, and tomatoes. Parsnips (and sweet potato) are probably top on my list though. The taste of it just makes me want to vomit.

I'm fussy when it comes to sandwiches. I don't really like dry meat in my sandwiches, and I don't like too much butter unless it's with banana. Most supermarkets put mayonnaise in sandwiches and I don't like mayonnaise. It's no good scooping it out either, because it taints the sandwich.
The only things I like in my sandwiches are cheese, banana, jam, marmalade, cheese spread with cress, or marmite (but not all at once of course).

Otherwise, the food I do like outweigh the food I don't like.

Last edited by Joe90 on 10 May 2022, 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.