Page 8 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 8:51 am

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
rdos wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I am very worried that there's a lot technical self-help advice being given to the OP and others on this thread on how to improve their chances of lucking out with a girl.

At the end of the day attraction is a very organic process. It starts by putting yourself in a position where you have the opportunity to spend time with a girl/girls.

The more time you spend with different girls the higher the probability you will meet somebody who connects with you and you with them.

Definitely do not obsess over one girl, keep moving on and meet new ones whenever the opportunity arises.

That's incorrect. If you don't put down a sufficient amount of time on a potential partner then you cannot connect. It doesn't help to put down insufficient time on multiple potential partners. The purpose of obsessing is to facilitate connecting.

Obsessing over a girl who is not interested in you can be very painful once you realise that she doesn't feel the same way about you that you do about her.

I don't think you should consider focusing all of your energy on one person until it's clear that they're interested in you and things could be going somewhere. Prior to then, testing the waters with multiple different women, if you have the opportunity, is a good way to improve your odds of finding someone you're compatible with and not getting too invested into someone who isn't interested in or compatible with you.

Just because you're communicating with multiple women doesn't mean you're not putting in sufficient time for each to figure out whether any of them are interested in or compatible with you.

I talked about connection, not if you have the same interests or are compatible.

Of course, you shouldn't obsess about a girl that is not interested in you. You shouldn't connect to girls that are not interested either, or that you cannot get along with.

The problem I talked about is that if you just use shallow dating and meet somebody a few times, that's not sufficient for making a connection. It won't help if you do it hundreds or 1000s of times either, as you still won't form a real connection. So dating actually doesn't work for creating connections since there is too little time together when you do dating. It only works for NTs because they start having sex after a few dates, which is what creates their connection. That way of making a connection doesn't work for many NDs.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 12:32 pm

I told my mom that I would most likely be alone for the rest of my life and that I'll probably die alone and that some people are just meant to be alone. She tried to be encouraging despite the fact when she talks to people in her age range constantly says how she's "lucky that she's not a young person in this day and age" which to me justifies my likelihood of being alone since it's mostly a negative statement when she says that. I've already accepted it though, I'm not meant to have people in my life or else every single human encounter I had up to this point wouldn't end so negatively.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 2:51 am

rdos wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I am very worried that there's a lot technical self-help advice being given to the OP and others on this thread on how to improve their chances of lucking out with a girl.

At the end of the day attraction is a very organic process. It starts by putting yourself in a position where you have the opportunity to spend time with a girl/girls.

The more time you spend with different girls the higher the probability you will meet somebody who connects with you and you with them.

Definitely do not obsess over one girl, keep moving on and meet new ones whenever the opportunity arises.

That's incorrect. If you don't put down a sufficient amount of time on a potential partner then you cannot connect. It doesn't help to put down insufficient time on multiple potential partners. The purpose of obsessing is to facilitate connecting.

Refer to Grand Inquisitor's post...

Probability increases that you will meet the "one" if you talk to more girls...

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 7:25 am

rdos wrote:
rdos wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Obsessing over a girl who is not interested in you can be very painful once you realise that she doesn't feel the same way about you that you do about her.

I don't think you should consider focusing all of your energy on one person until it's clear that they're interested in you and things could be going somewhere. Prior to then, testing the waters with multiple different women, if you have the opportunity, is a good way to improve your odds of finding someone you're compatible with and not getting too invested into someone who isn't interested in or compatible with you.

Just because you're communicating with multiple women doesn't mean you're not putting in sufficient time for each to figure out whether any of them are interested in or compatible with you.

I talked about connection, not if you have the same interests or are compatible.

Of course, you shouldn't obsess about a girl that is not interested in you. You shouldn't connect to girls that are not interested either, or that you cannot get along with.

The problem I talked about is that if you just use shallow dating and meet somebody a few times, that's not sufficient for making a connection. It won't help if you do it hundreds or 1000s of times either, as you still won't form a real connection. So dating actually doesn't work for creating connections since there is too little time together when you do dating. It only works for NTs because they start having sex after a few dates, which is what creates their connection. That way of making a connection doesn't work for many NDs.

So first, the context in which you were referring to "connecting" with someone wasn't clear. That could just mean that you're getting to know them, in which case it's not clear that they're interested in you romantically, hence my comment.

As it relates to "dating doesn't work", sure, sometimes it doesn't, but if you're to discover whether or not a love interest is compatible with you, you must spend some time together. If not dating, what would you suggest?

And moreover, in the age of the internet, people can go on dates in real life but that doesn't mean they can't strengthen their connection online

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 8:14 am

This makes me cry though I have learned to appreciate being single but it sometimes hurts :(

When I was in my teens and 20's, I felt the same way when it came to dating. Though I was introduced to a few blind dates and have co-workers try to set me up with someone years ago, I was upset that the right guy never came and asked me out that I liked. All the while, I had a couple of ex-frenemies who were not very pretty inside and out have an easier time than I did. Did I ever envy them too. Especially, when one of them met her husband, while I was rejected by another man on the spectrum who I liked.

At 21, I had a rough time during a visit up to my parent's house after I moved out of state to another city with my aunt. My parents were pickier and seemed to put their foot down with me dating these two boys that I liked. So, they expressed their concerns with my teachers. Meanwhile, they didn't approve of my sister's boyfriends but let her date them. Anyway, while she dated her second boyfriend, I envied her. This one time that I visited, she brought him over and pulled the sibling rivalry thing by snuggling all over him and rubbing it in my face. As a result, I blew up at her and my mom by calling then names and trying to physically attack my mom.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 5:19 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
All the while, I had a couple of ex-frenemies who were not very pretty inside and out have an easier time than I did. Did I ever envy them too. Especially, when one of them met her husband, while I was rejected by another man on the spectrum who I liked.

I would equally apply the same advice I've been giving the guys here. The worst thing to do is to compare yourself with other people. Just focus on yourself.

You also should learn to communicate with your mom about why you are frustrated, at the age of 37 she should not be interfering in your personal decisions but are there reasons she and your sister object to your choices?

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 9:23 am

cyberdad wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:
All the while, I had a couple of ex-frenemies who were not very pretty inside and out have an easier time than I did. Did I ever envy them too. Especially, when one of them met her husband, while I was rejected by another man on the spectrum who I liked.

I would equally apply the same advice I've been giving the guys here. The worst thing to do is to compare yourself with other people. Just focus on yourself.

You also should learn to communicate with your mom about why you are frustrated, at the age of 37 she should not be interfering in your personal decisions but are there reasons she and your sister object to your choices?

I associated with these ex-frenemies at different times in my life. The first was mainly in childhood and off on in my teens. The other was when I was in my mid to late '20s.

As for my mom, I have not seen her in over 15 years and have not been on speaking terms with her for 10 years. It was both parents who were more protective of me in my teens so they were picky. When I had that fit, I was already 21 and had moved in with my aunt in another state, while my first sister was 15. My mom taught her it that it was okay to compete with me and provoke me to envy. Now several days before I blew up at her and my sister, I did confront her about not getting the same opportunities and she didn't get it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 11:06 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
As for my mom, I have not seen her in over 15 years and have not been on speaking terms with her for 10 years. It was both parents who were more protective of me in my teens so they were picky. When I had that fit, I was already 21 and had moved in with my aunt in another state, while my first sister was 15. My mom taught her it that it was okay to compete with me and provoke me to envy. Now several days before I blew up at her and my sister, I did confront her about not getting the same opportunities and she didn't get it.

I can relate as I used to never be confident in my own choices and had a bad habit of conferring with close family. I blossomed as a young adult when I was in my 30s I became more independent and stopped comparing myself with other dudes and stopped conferring with family on every little step I took.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 10:15 am

So first, the context in which you were referring to "connecting" with someone wasn't clear. That could just mean that you're getting to know them, in which case it's not clear that they're interested in you romantically, hence my comment.

There is too much focus on if somebody is interested romantically or not. At least for many NDs, romantic interest is not set in stone and can change. For instance, quite a few NDs claim that they can get interested romantically in somebody that shows a lot of persistence. So, I think it is generally a bad idea to ask about romantic interest (just as it is a bad idea to ask for a date) because many NDs don't have fixed answers to that and needs to know a lot about you before they can make a decision about it. By asking "too fast" you will simply blow your chances because many think better safe than sorry, and so you will get a "no".

In fact, the optimal way to find out about potential interest is not to ask about it or ask for a date, but to use the eye contact game. It's also an excellent way to filter out incompatible people as NTs will not do it in a way that feels natural for an ND.

As it relates to "dating doesn't work", sure, sometimes it doesn't, but if you're to discover whether or not a love interest is compatible with you, you must spend some time together. If not dating, what would you suggest?

It's enough to be close to each other regularly.

And moreover, in the age of the internet, people can go on dates in real life but that doesn't mean they can't strengthen their connection online[/color]

IMHO, the Internet can certainly be nice as a complement for people that already know each other IRL, but it's not that useful for creating new romantic connections.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 10:24 am

cyberdad wrote:
Probability increases that you will meet the "one" if you talk to more girls...

Nope. Time is a limited resource, and if you prioritize quantity then quality will suffer. Meaning that if you want to talk to more girls, your connections to girls will be more shallow, and you will not be able to put in enough persistence into any single girl to make a real lasting connection. You'll end up like people that have 1000s of Facebook friends, many of whom they know nothing about and put no effort into.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 1:10 pm

rdos wrote:
rdos wrote:
If you don't put down a sufficient amount of time on a potential partner then you cannot connect. It doesn't help to put down insufficient time on multiple potential partners. The purpose of obsessing is to facilitate connecting.

How, then, do you recommend spending enough time with a potential partner to make a connection? You've ruled out conventional dating and you've ruled out (for yourself, at least, in earlier posts) the idea of a romantic relationship that grows out of a friendship. So, given neither neither dating nor friendship, what provides the opportunity to spend enough time with each other to make a romantic connection?

I happen to agree with you about dating, by the way. I've always avoided the conventional dating ritual. But the kind of romantic relationship I've always desired is one that I see as an advanced form of friendship, and that can grow out of a friendship.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 1:58 pm

rdos wrote:
There is too much focus on if somebody is interested romantically or not. At least for many NDs, romantic interest is not set in stone and can change. For instance, quite a few NDs claim that they can get interested romantically in somebody that shows a lot of persistence. So, I think it is generally a bad idea to ask about romantic interest (just as it is a bad idea to ask for a date) because many NDs don't have fixed answers to that and needs to know a lot about you before they can make a decision about it. By asking "too fast" you will simply blow your chances because many think better safe than sorry, and so you will get a "no".

Agreed. However....

rdos wrote:
In fact, the optimal way to find out about potential interest is not to ask about it or ask for a date, but to use the eye contact game. It's also an excellent way to filter out incompatible people as NTs will not do it in a way that feels natural for an ND.

There are plenty of autistic people for whom no version of an "eye contact game" feels natural at all. My boyfriend finds eye contact to be physically painful, and I've seen plenty of blogs by autistic people who have said the same.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 2:54 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
How, then, do you recommend spending enough time with a potential partner to make a connection? You've ruled out conventional dating and you've ruled out (for yourself, at least, in earlier posts) the idea of a romantic relationship that grows out of a friendship. So, given neither neither dating nor friendship, what provides the opportunity to spend enough time with each other to make a romantic connection?

I think I will leave that up to people themselves to figure out. I wrote in another post that "you only need to be close", which is a hint. IOW, you don't need to go to the extremes of asking for a date or getting into a friendship. You can hang out without being friends. It's up to people to decide what might work. A couple of possibilities are group activities, dances, friend-of-friends gatherings or similar. It's even possible to meet regularly at public places without asking for a date, having shared friends or participating in shared group activities.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 4:14 pm

rdos wrote:
Construction process of Aspie Quiz:
Leif Ekblad (2013). Autism, Personality, and Human Diversity: Defining Neurodiversity in an Iterative Process Using Aspie Quiz SAGE Open July-September 2013 3: 2158244013497722 https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/1 ... 4013497722

To avoid derailing this thread, I've posted some comments in a separate new thread here.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 4:28 pm

rdos wrote:
I wrote in another post that "you only need to be close", which is a hint. IOW, you don't need to go to the extremes of asking for a date or getting into a friendship. You can hang out without being friends. It's up to people to decide what might work. A couple of possibilities are group activities, dances, friend-of-friends gatherings or similar. It's even possible to meet regularly at public places without asking for a date, having shared friends or participating in shared group activities.

Problem is, many autistic people find group activities -- especially informal, unstructured social gatherings -- to be extremely stressful. I recall quite a few people here on Wrong Planet saying that they would prefer to have a few close friends than to spend time hanging out with a lot of casual acquaintances.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 5:20 pm

green0star wrote:
I've already accepted it though, I'm not meant to have people in my life or else every single human encounter I had up to this point wouldn't end so negatively.

There might be other, more specific (and perhaps even fixable) reasons why "every single human encounter" you've had has ended so negatively.

Have any of these people ever voiced any specific complaints about your behavior? And, if so, are there any common themes? Or did they all just decide to shun you without saying what their problem was?

Also, have you ever sought specifically to make friends with other autistic people? If that too ended negatively, what happened?