Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Aeliven
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2019, 10:50 am

Hello everybody,

My real-life name is Evin, and I'm a military veteran living on sunny Okinawa. I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome when I was just a kid and I had to receive therapy to improve my social skills and my small motor skills, though I later became a pretty involved athlete in high school. Fortunately, the military never received any record of this diagnosis, and I was able to enlist as a corpsman (a combat medic for Marines) without issue. Five years and two deployments later, I received my honorable discharge and I'm now a student that is learning computer programming and cybersecurity.

People often say that I seem like a relatively "normal" guy, and when I disclose the fact that I'm autistic to my friends, they often react with genuine surprise. My girlfriend is aware, and those who live with me will often start to notice that my behavior can sometimes be a bit strange; I have to follow a very rigid daily schedule (I drink my coffee exactly at 7 AM and I have to be in the gym at exactly 12 PM or I feel "wrong" for the rest of the day) and I organize certain things obsessively while completely neglecting other things. I also have a tendency to ramble incessantly about things that I'm fascinated by.

I can by no means say that I've entirely overcome this, as it's a lifelong affliction and it will always affect who I am to a certain extent, but I hope that my story can provide some inspiration to others who might also be on the autism spectrum. After a lot of work, I'm able to hold an actual job outside of the military and I have a social circle that supports me and keeps me happy. I've also found that focusing on physical activities and other engagements really helps me stabilize my mood and consequently my social interactions. I'm an amateur olympic weightlifter and I often compete in competitions on base in Okinawa, and I'm working on my divemaster certification. Although it's sometimes difficult to take in new surroundings and I'm often overwhelmed by the over stimulation in new places, I'm an avid traveler. I've found that confronting this fear of new environments and stimulation has really helped me. I still have my days just like anyone, of course.

Are there any other military veterans, athletes, expats, or tech-industry people here? I'd love to hear your experiences and learn how you overcame some of your roadblocks. Thanks for reading!

-Evin

P.S. I think I introduced myself here a long time ago, but here's a new one just because I haven't really been around.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 12:30 pm

Welcome back to Wrong Planet!

enz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 2:58 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. Diving is awesome I'd love to get back into it

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran