Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 1:36 am

I would consider becoming acquainted with an NT (or even someone with slight HFA) who is an awesome person both personally, and professionally; that is professionally they have had experience in assisting HFA colleagues, and clientele.

One good resource to consider is AANE Asperger Autism NEtwork www.aane.org - AANE grasps the challenges of HFA; that is AANE is aware of resources, experiences, etc. important for HFA progress!

Nydcat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2019, 7:40 am

That's a good book. I used it in therapy.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dialectical-Behav ... 1572245131

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 12:23 pm

Nydcat wrote:
That's a good book. I used it in therapy.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dialectical-Behav ... 1572245131

When it comes to reassessing difficulties with social-skills/friendships, the clinical / therapy approaches (at least from my own personal experiences) are not necessarily favorable towards boosting social skills.

Your location is listed as Montreal; hence I'm reminded of a study that found that understanding a second language boosts critical thinking skills. Have you found that handling Montreal's two languages of English and French boosted critical thinking skills? Can this be helpful for people with HFA in boosting social skills?

Related to languages: I had begun a discussion thread (seven posts as of this writing) titled, 'The Confounding Subtleties Of The English Language' (LINK at bottom). In a nutshell, words in other languages can do a better job than the English language in clarifying those sometimes difficult nuances, ambiguities of English.

LINK: viewtopic.php?t=376504

Nydcat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2019, 4:13 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:

When it comes to reassessing difficulties with social-skills/friendships, the clinical / therapy approaches (at least from my own personal experiences) are not necessarily favorable towards boosting social skills.

Your location is listed as Montreal; hence I'm reminded of a study that found that understanding a second language boosts critical thinking skills. Have you found that handling Montreal's two languages of English and French boosted critical thinking skills? Can this be helpful for people with HFA in boosting social skills?

Related to languages: I had begun a discussion thread (seven posts as of this writing) titled, 'The Confounding Subtleties Of The English Language' (LINK at bottom). In a nutshell, words in other languages can do a better job than the English language in clarifying those sometimes difficult nuances, ambiguities of English.

LINK: viewtopic.php?t=376504

I was very young when I learned english as a second language, so I don't remember the difference. However, I observed a correlation between critical thinking and a second language. But I think it's more that people with good critical thinking are more likely to be able to become fluent in a second language.

Personally, I like english because I have a hard time choosing between polite and casual (it's much less obvious in english). Also it does provide more vocabulary to be precise in a description. For instance, love and like are a single word in french.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 3:40 pm

What may be helpful towards encouraging social-skills for HFAs seems to exhibit parallels to NTs who successfully assist others with dating, and love. Yes, you've read this correctly; those who had successes in encouraging the development of intimate relationships can adapt their advice towards helping HFAs in developing platonic relationships! From such a foundation, HFAs might just benefit from advice on dating, and love.

Here are yet other reasons to become acquainted with awesome NTs (and people with slight HFA).

A few posts back (as of this writing) in this thread 'I would consider becoming acquainted with an NT (or even someone with slight HFA) who is an awesome person.............'