Charges dropped in Jussie Smollettt case

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 3:48 pm

Chicago prosecutors have dropped charges in the case of Jussie Smollett, the " Empire " TV actor who was accused of faking a hate crime against him. The Chicago Tribune and Sun-Times have the story, I can't link. Smollet has forfeited the $10,000 bond he paid - this could be seen as a fine (The Trib mentions this but not the S-T). The possibility of federal charges still exists - but that seems unlikely to me. :( From what I read, Smollet seems to be admitting no guilt 8O .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Last edited by ASS-P on 26 Mar 2019, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 3:50 pm

Well it's just a sensational example of how little we appreciate honesty from anyone.

This is a country run on lies right now.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 4:01 pm

cberg wrote:
This sentence is a lie.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Mar 2019, 4:08 pm

Funny - after Mr Smollett spent weeks being hounded by so many people for allegedly "faking accusations", it turns out that the accusation that he was faking accusations was itself a fake accusation.

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2019, 4:08 pm

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 4:20 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Funny - after Mr Smollett spent weeks being hounded by so many people for allegedly "faking accusations", it turns out that the accusation that he was faking accusations was itself a fake accusation.
Quote:
The Cook County State's Attorney's Office didn't immediately explain why the 16 counts of felony disorderly conduct were dropped against Smollett today, except to say it came after reviewing the case's facts, and in view of Smollett's agreement to forfeit his $10,000 bond. Parts of the case will be sealed, one of Smollett's attorneys said.
Funny, nowhere in any news accounts have I read anything indicating that the charges against Mr. Smollet were fake.

He probably cut a deal to avoid embarrassing both himself and the prosecutors -- one of whom was forced to recuse herself from the case "... to address potential questions of impartiality based upon familiarity with potential witnesses in the case".

So it was not settled due to truthfulness or falsehood, but because one of the prosecutors was "familiar" with one of the witnesses. What that "familiarity" may entail, we may never know.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 4:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
cberg wrote:
This sentence is a lie.

Enjoy the Kool aid. :wink:

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 4:38 pm

cberg wrote:
Fnord wrote:
cberg wrote:
This sentence is a lie.
Enjoy the Kool-Aid.
I would, but the cake is a lie.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 4:39 pm

It looks as though some sort of deal was made.

Maybe the prosecutors took pity on him; who knows?

Possibly, it could be similar to an "adjournment in contemplation of dismissal" type thing----where the case is adjourned for six months, then sealed if the defendant doesn't get into legal trouble again.

Or maybe some sort of "diversion" type of deal, since this is his first offense. This happens with "regular" people as well as movie stars.

I don't feel the case was "dismissed" outright, since the defendant forfeited his bail.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 4:42 pm

Anyway, the case is practically over.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 4:47 pm

Buying "justice" in the Windy City is cheaper than I expected.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 4:50 pm

I read the article.

It said that "parts" of the indictment will be sealed. Not all of it.

This means there's the possibility that he still has some sort of arrest record.

There is no conviction record---but if he screws up, then they will prosecute again. It happens all the time.

This could be evidence that there was some sort of "diversion" agreement where he would stay out of trouble for a certain amount of time, then have the case dismissed and sealed.

This happens all the time amongst "regular" people. It's not necessarily because he's a "big star."

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 26 Mar 2019, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 4:50 pm

Shrapnel wrote:
Buying "justice" in the Windy City is cheaper than I expected.
The defendant paid $10,000 to have the charges dropped. That's the going rate, it seems.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 4:52 pm

I don't find all this to be too "irregular" at all.

Sounds like there was some sort of "diversion" agreement.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 5:16 pm

Just like with O.J. and Michael Jackson I will always believe a guilty person got away with it and there is nothing I will ever be able to do about it. Unlike the "real killer" of Nicole Simpson I hope the find the "hate crimininals" who attacked Smollett(sarcasm).

If I was the head of hiring at Empire I would suck it up and rehire him immedialtly. There is no grounds other then feelings to keep him unemployed now.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 5:32 pm

Think yes it was a deal. His original claims are still a fantasy.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"