New York County bars unvaccinated kids from public places

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 11:15 am

Rockland declares state of emergency over measles outbreak, bars unvaccinated from public places

Quote:
Rockland County has declared a state of emergency over the ongoing measles outbreak, with Executive Ed Day announcing that non-vaccinated minors are now barred from public places.

Now in effect, anyone who is under 18 years of age and is not vaccinated against the measles is prohibited from public places until the declaration expires in 30 days or until they receive the MMR vaccination.

Officials said law enforcement will not be patrolling the streets or asking for vaccination records, but if someone is found in violation of the declaration, their case will be referred to the district attorney's office.

Parents will also be held accountable for their children if they are found in violation of the state of emergency, and could face fines and possible jail time.

Officials say there are no religious exemptions, and that they have been working with area rabbis who have been encouraging their members to get vaccinated.

According to the emergency declaration, public places are defined as a place where more than 10 persons are intended to congregate for purposes such as civic, governmental, social, or religious functions, or for recreation or shopping, or for food or drink consumption, or awaiting transportation, or for daycare or educational purposes, or for medical treatment.

A place of public assembly shall also include public transportation vehicles, including but not limited to, publicly or privately owned buses or trains, but does not include taxi or livery vehicles.

There are currently 153 confirmed reported cases of measles in the county, according to health officials.

"As this outbreak has continued, our inspectors have begun to meet resistance from those they are trying to protect," Day said. "They have been hung up on or told not to call again. They've been told, 'We're not discussing this, do not come back' when visiting the homes of infected individuals as part of their investigations. This type of response is unacceptable and irresponsible. It endangers the health and well-being of others and displays a shocking lack of responsibility and concern for others in our community”.

Others worried normal people would be demonized.

"I'm very concerned about how people will be viewed and what will happen when people go to the mall and try to go to the Target or wherever they want to go shopping or be out," said Gary Setzer, of the Jewish Federation and Foundation of Rockland County.

Meanwhile, other leaders say the problem is the numbers.

"This community has a boatload of children," said Yossi Gestetner, of the Orthodox Jewish Public Affairs Council. "To give you context, Manhattan, less than 9 percent of the population is under the age of 10. New Square, the Hasidic village, 40 percent."

High-risk groups include pregnant women, children under 6 months of age, the immunocompromised or immunosuppressed, those who have not been vaccinated against the measles, and those who were born before 1957 and are immunosuppressed.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 11:26 am

An unenforceable publicity stunt designed to garner support for (unconstitutional) compulsory vaccination.

I'm totally pro-vaccines, by the way, but what these people are aiming for is sick and a total violation of people's rights.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 12:07 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
An unenforceable publicity stunt designed to garner support for (unconstitutional) compulsory vaccination. I'm totally pro-vaccines, by the way, but what these people are aiming for is sick and a total violation of people's rights.
Mmmmaybe ... I'd like to see it challenged in court, but if it gets people vaccinated, then so be it.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 7:58 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
An unenforceable publicity stunt designed to garner support for (unconstitutional) compulsory vaccination.

I'm totally pro-vaccines, by the way, but what these people are aiming for is sick and a total violation of people's rights.

I could be wrong here, but I think that in the event of an epidemic of a contagious disease, health departments are permitted to enact some restrictions. You (editorially) may have the right not to be vaccinated. But I also have the right to live, work and play in places free from the threat of preventable contagious illnesses.

Not looking to get into a fight; it's just something to think about.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 8:03 pm

Like I've said, I'd always make sure I was vaccinated myself, which is my defense against those who aren't. Everybody's happy.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 8:07 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
Like I've said, I'd always make sure I was vaccinated myself, which is my defense against those who aren't. Everybody's happy.

Except the people who can't get vaccinated. It's a stretch, I know. Not criticizing you, Prom. But in general, people find it more difficult to care about the community than it is to care about themselves. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just another thing to keep in mind.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 7:44 am

Where I work, yearly flu shots are mandatory.

EVERY year, some people contract the flu despite having gotten the shot.

Meaning that getting yourself or your kids vaccinated may not protect you from a disease someone else is carrying.

The Health Department is doing the right thing.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 8:03 am

blazingstar wrote:

I could be wrong here, but I think that in the event of an epidemic of a contagious disease, health departments are permitted to enact some restrictions. You (editorially) may have the right not to be vaccinated. But I also have the right to live, work and play in places free from the threat of preventable contagious illnesses.

At least where I live, that is the case. It also applies to other issues regarding public safety. The risks of contracting measles as an adult are far from insignificant.

As much as I hate infringing on individual rights, I do think that personal choices that endanger others should be considered in a different light.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 8:17 am

It’s just ridiculous to not get vaccinated if it is not contraindicated.

Even the authorities admit that this ban is virtually unenforceable at this moment.

Trust me, though, if it starts affecting much more than the 114 already affected by measles, more teeth would be put into the ban.

Measles is a potentially serious disease. This is not something to be messed with.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 5:53 pm

blazingstar wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

I don’t get it . If your vaccinated shouldn’t that’s stop you from getting it from someone who has it? Isn’t that the point of vaccination

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 7:09 pm

sly279 wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

I don’t get it . If your vaccinated shouldn’t that’s stop you from getting it from someone who has it? Isn’t that the point of vaccination

It stops you from getting the disease. But...

Not everyone can get vaccinated. People with transplants. People undergoing cancer treatments. People with HIV. Fetuses younger than 3 months.

So being vaccinated is important for your health, but also for the larger community.

Flu vaccine does not work as well as vaccines for DPT and poxes, etc. The flu virus changes quickly and frequently, making formulating vaccines more difficult. That is why you can get the flu, even if you had the injection. Vaccination does lower the incidence, frequency and intensity of flu infections.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 7:28 pm

33 more cases confirmed in New York City today.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 11:31 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:

Refusing to get your kids vaccinated though, is also kind of sick and a violation of other peoples rights to. Unvaccinated people can spread illnesses to people with compromised immunity and things even if they themselves don't end up severely sick, also there are some people that medically cannot receive vaccines, but if everyone else has them it helps protect those people.

Heat8444
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Mar 2019, 12:36 am

More liberal hypocrisy. You worship science when it comes to climate change, but you completely disavow it regarding this(not to mention abortion). This is also a black eye for religion since these kids' parents are Orthodox Jews and other assorted religious nuts. 400 years ago, Roman religious nuts threatened to kill Galileo if he didn't recant his proving of Copernicus' theory that the Sun is the center of the solar system (and not Earth).

Galileo is regarded as the father of modern science which means science hating liberals hate him as much as they hate Trump.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 2:37 am

It’s nonsense not to get vaccinated.

This is not a political issue.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 4:57 am

blazingstar wrote:
sly279 wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

It stops you from getting the disease. But...

Not everyone can get vaccinated. People with transplants. People undergoing cancer treatments. People with HIV. Fetuses younger than 3 months.

So being vaccinated is important for your health, but also for the larger community.

Flu vaccine does not work as well as vaccines for DPT and poxes, etc. The flu virus changes quickly and frequently, making formulating vaccines more difficult. That is why you can get the flu, even if you had the injection. Vaccination does lower the incidence, frequency and intensity of flu infections.

That's not all there is to it. If a lot of people decide to not to vaccinate their kids, the diseases have more space to grow in, which rises the chances of them mutating and changing so much that the vaccines no longer work.