Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Apr 2019, 2:58 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
Magz:
The difference is that radical changes in fashion in history occurred as a result of natural contingencies which weren’t the doing of any one man or corporation or group of corporations.
How do you know it?
And why do you exclude suits from this phenomenon?
Prometheus18 wrote:
Today, there are people whose sole job it is to sit in an office all day and determine the means by which the public can be directed towards buying such and such kinds of clothes. The changed also didn’t occur with the same degree of frequency as today – a vanquished nation may have been forced, or felt forced, to adopt the customs of its conqueror, but there was never a time when radically new fashions were introduced every few years; this is psychologically exhausting.
Lots of people I know, me included, just ignore the fast-changing trends and wear whatever they like.
Prometheus18 wrote:
Any fashion that did emerge was also (almost) universally agreed upon within any one milieu and was not contrary to objective considerations such as dignity, modesty, symmetry and so forth.
Regency dresses that looked like sleeping gowns, were transculent and left the arms bare were not really about conserving dignity, modesty and symmetry of ealborate constructions of the previous epoch.

Prometheus18 wrote:
It’s also telling that your stated objection to the suit is the difficulty entailed in wearing one. It’s no doubt true, and this is part of its virtue – the difficulty involved in keeping a suit in good order is a means of conveying competence to others, particularly in a business environment, and the resulting knowledge one has of his competence in being able to wear a suit well is a great boon to self esteem. Further, to walk down a high street in a major city surrounded by people visibly competent and self-controlled feeds one’s faith in the “other” previously mentioned. To walk down a street populated by the self-neglecting is a blow to this faith and, in the final analysis, is rather oppressive of one.
And people in business and politics where looking competent is important wear suits for their job.
In hardcore IT the association is the opposite, men who wear suits for the job interview tend to perform poorly. Maybe because they hope looking competent would make up for not really being competent? Anyway, the most successful IT CEOS neither wear suits, nor follow trends.
Is he
incompetent?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 9:15 am

Quote:
I can't help thinking that the only reason anybody might object to such a modest, rational and necessary suggestion as the one I’ve presented here is that they fear that they personally won't be able to meet the expectations of such a tradition, nor achieve true self determination - I suggest to such people that they're probably doing themselves an injustice in assuming themselves so impotent. But this is unfortunately a far broader problem for our civilisation - particularly in the west: the deterioration in the quality of the education system, particularly in the Anglophone west, where schools are little more than giant children’s homes run by social workers, along with the absence of one or both of the parents from the household (usually the father), along with the prevalence of mind-numbing drugs, creates a state of what Emile Durkheim called “anomie”, which is where a lack of social norms and expectations has created a pathological and ever-present sense of powerlessness, low self-esteem and, in the end, existential dread. This is precisely the reason why values must be handed from generation to generation

No, I wear t-shirts and jeans because I find wearing "feminine" clothing repulsive, not because I'm afraid I can't do it.

Frankly, I find excessive fuss and bother over clothing to be both exhausting and intellectually shallow. I have zero interest in pursuing arbitrary appearance standards concocted by random people without my consent. I see no more value in mindlessly following fashion trends of the 50s than I do mindlessly following the trends of 2019.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 9:24 am

Most male fashion sites stress the importance of buying pants with the exact same fabric as used in the rest of the suit, just like the plaid example provided. I think this is a good example of the arbitrary rules you find in fashion.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 9:25 am

magz wrote:
Lots of people I know, me included, just ignore the fast-changing trends and wear whatever they like.

My dress sense hasn't changed in 30 years - jeans ( I prefer a certain colour only which is almost impossible to get now ) , t-shirt ( gotta be cotton , I love the feel of cheesecloth ) , crazy hairstyle

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Apr 2019, 9:37 am

SaveFerris wrote:
cberg wrote:
This thread makes me want dreadlocks. :jester:

I've had dreadlocks or to be precise a dreadlock , not brushing long hair will do this :twisted: I had to have a buzz cut to get rid off it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_plait :D

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 9:52 am

magz wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
cberg wrote:
This thread makes me want dreadlocks. :jester:

I've had dreadlocks or to be precise a dreadlock , not brushing long hair will do this :twisted: I had to have a buzz cut to get rid off it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_plait :D

Yes :lol: but not as tidy 8)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 9:56 am

SaveFerris wrote:
magz wrote:

My dress sense hasn't changed in 30 years - jeans ( I prefer a certain colour only which is almost impossible to get now ) , t-shirt ( gotta be cotton , I love the feel of cheesecloth ) , crazy hairstyle

I still dress like it's 1995 (flannel, jeans, t-shirt, Converse sneakers).

The only thing you can tell about someone based-off how they dress is what clothes they're wearing. In all the pictures I've seen of him, H.H. Holmes is wearing a suit. Call me crazy, but I'd rather rent a hotel room from a "scruffy" guy at a Motel 6 then from Holmes.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 10:17 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
magz wrote:

You have great taste in clothes ( don't know what flannel is , that's a cloth we wash with in the UK) :lol: I cant wear converse anymore , too flat , I need trainers with an arch. I used to wear Hi-leg DMS Combat Boots but hated the effort of putting them on and off.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Apr 2019, 10:45 am

SaveFerris wrote:
You have great taste in clothes ( don't know what flannel is , that's a cloth we wash with in the UK) :lol:
Flannel shirts, typically checked and with a pointed collar. I wear them, too. My parents also love them... wait, there was something about intergenerational continuity, wasn't there? While I rejected some of the values of my parents (PPR stuff, so to speak), our views on appropriate clothing are perfectly in line.
SaveFerris wrote:
I used to wear Hi-leg DMS Combat Boots but hated the effort of putting them on and off.
High five!
I settled on lightweight trekking shoes.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 1:01 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
magz wrote:

The only thing you can tell about someone based-off how they dress is what clothes they're wearing. In all the pictures I've seen of him, H.H. Holmes is wearing a suit. Call me crazy, but I'd rather rent a hotel room from a "scruffy" guy at a Motel 6 then from Holmes.

After googling about H.H. Holmes, I would actually prefer to sleep in the sewers rather than taking a royal suite for free from him.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2019, 1:42 am

i like to think my all-black manner of dress is outside of time.

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Apr 2019, 2:25 am

I used to have long hair from About 2002-2008,I initially did it because all the best rock and metal stars did, and the idea of few cuts was appealing.
Eventually it was the maintenance I got sick of! Washing it, using a hair dryer, still having to get it trimmed occasionally. Ladies are good at making it look effortless, but it's anything but. Try looking down to read or at a small detail with your hair flopping everywhere!
I buzz cut it myself now!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2019, 2:30 am

Map84 wrote:
I used to have long hair from About 2002-2008,I initially did it because all the best rock and metal stars did, and the idea of few cuts was appealing.
Eventually it was the maintenance I got sick of! Washing it, using a hair dryer, still having to get it trimmed occasionally. Ladies are good at making it look effortless, but it's anything but. Try looking down to read or at a small detail with your hair flopping everywhere! I buzz cut it myself now!

i refuse to cut mine until nature decides to thin it down to the vanishing point. until then, i follow some shortcuts to the aforementioned niggling things you mentioned- keeping it in a ponytail gets rid of the flopping problem. i can get away with only washing it every other day, the oil that accumulates in the interim actually is helpful in keeping it under control. no need to cut it as it stops growing by itself. you were one of the lucky ones if yours kept on growing.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2019, 2:56 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
magz wrote:

After googling about H.H. Holmes, I would actually prefer to sleep in the sewers rather than taking a royal suite for free from him.

Yeah, H.H. Holmes is one story that, if it had been a work of fiction, no one would've bought it. Unsurprisingly, many horror movies/TV shows are based on him (at least in the U.S.).

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Apr 2019, 7:42 am

auntblabby wrote:
Map84 wrote:
Eventually it was the maintenance I got sick of! Washing it, using a hair dryer, still having to get it trimmed occasionally. Ladies are good at making it look effortless, but it's anything but. Try looking down to read or at a small detail with your hair flopping everywhere! I buzz cut it myself now!

i refuse to cut mine until nature decides to thin it down to the vanishing point. until then, i follow some shortcuts to the aforementioned niggling things you mentioned- keeping it in a ponytail gets rid of the flopping problem. i can get away with only washing it every other day, the oil that accumulates in the interim actually is helpful in keeping it under control. no need to cut it as it stops growing by itself. you were one of the lucky ones if yours kept on growing.

hey, whatever suits you :) I ended up with mine tied back lots too. There's a guy down the road from me, now he has LONG hair, it's down to his waist!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2019, 8:47 am

I've been keeping my head buzzed for most of the last ten years, but I do like having long hair. I just can't stand it in the in between stages. I think that trying to keep it longer than a buzz but shorter than long hair means I have to pick a style, which I'm just not into. I'd also have to pick some style of facial hair, which would just drive me crazy. So I just buzz my face and head when my moustache starts to tickle my lips.
As for fashion, not into it. But I do appreciate it when clothes are aesthetically pleasing, whatever they happen to be. And if I happen to be wearing them they've got to be comfortable as well.