Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

hannahjrob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2019, 11:28 pm

Have you asked your doctor if she could possibly use a pediatric speculum when doing the exams? I am also very sensitive, and my first couple of paps were horrifically painful. But between finding an doctor who I really like and trust, and finding out that she could use a pediatric speculum, I have a much easier time with paps now. I won't say they're a walk in the park, and I still get some anxiety when I have one coming up, but at least it doesn't feel like someone is jabbing me with a hot knife down there, and I definitely don't need sedation.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2019, 10:19 am

^^ I'm not going to lie. Having a smear test is one of the worst experiences you can go through at a doctors. Unless you want to compare it to needles. You lie back, with your legs wide apart, and the nurse uses a probe tool with something a bit like a stapler on the end of it, to take a cervical sample.
I had my second one done this year, they call you about every five years if your over 25 to get it done then three.
My problems have been with recurrent thrush, my hormones are a mixture of anxiety and frustration and flushes, and every now and again, my periods are lasting a long time. About a week to nine days and it takes a fair toll on me.
I have been starting to believe that something is wrong, for a while now, and have decided to get further tests done which test inside the tubes and ovaries. I've not been well though, as I've caught a virus from where I volunteer I suspect, but I can't really postpone this.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 10:22 am

?

It feels like a Q-Tip, and it lasts about 2 seconds.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but in my opinion and my experience a pap is insignificant.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 10:29 am

A Pap Smear is only a screening tool

Just like all those Aspie Tests and all that are screening tools.

All are just preludes to further testing.

Something like an MRI or CAT scan would be more useful. A more thorough examination.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 10:31 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
A Pap Smear is only a screening tool

Just like all those Aspie Tests and all that are screening tools.

All are just preludes to further testing.

Something like an MRI or CAT scan would be more useful. A more thorough examination.

It's a useful screening tool because it gathers cells for analysis. Diagnostic imaging would be much further down the line after manual exams, transvaginal / translabial ultrasound and blood tests.

Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 24 Jun 2019, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 10:34 am

Right. A useful prelude which would, hopefully, lead to further testing.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 10:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Right. A useful prelude which would, hopefully, lead to further testing.

The further testing would also include transrectal ultrasound with a wand. I'm not trying to be graphic but really, in the larger scheme of testing, a pap smear itself is non-intrusive.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 10:58 am

I dislike getting Pap smears and find them painful. I actually don’t mind other tests as much but everyone is different.

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2019, 11:06 am

Autiste wrote:
Just a thought:have you heard of vaginismus? This can make trying to insert anything into your vagina painful and likely impossible. I think I most likely have it and I wouldn't even consider having a smear test.

There are ways to reduce it but it takes time - there's loads of info online.

I concur
I've been on birth control for 30 yrs and have never had cervical cancer as a result. CV is usually caused by a specific factor: a pap smear yrs ago revealed HPV and the squamous (abnormal) cells that resulted. I was diagnosed pre cancerous and the cells were removed. Every woman should get a pap. It literally saves lives. but I wouldn't worry about getting something from the pill.

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2019, 11:14 am

PearlsofWisdom wrote:
^^ I'm not going to lie. Having a smear test is one of the worst experiences you can go through at a doctors. Unless you want to compare it to needles. You lie back, with your legs wide apart, and the nurse uses a probe tool with something a bit like a stapler on the end of it, to take a cervical sample.
I had my second one done this year, they call you about every five years if your over 25 to get it done then three.
My problems have been with recurrent thrush, my hormones are a mixture of anxiety and frustration and flushes, and every now and again, my periods are lasting a long time. About a week to nine days and it takes a fair toll on me.
I have been starting to believe that something is wrong, for a while now, and have decided to get further tests done which test inside the tubes and ovaries. I've not been well though, as I've caught a virus from where I volunteer I suspect, but I can't really postpone this.

This sounds like taking a sampling of the actual cervix. I've had that done a few times. It's a slight pain, but brief. A pap smear is when they take what looks like a bottle brush and sweep off a cell sample. I find it an odd sensation but not painful.

Last yr I had a uterine biopsy- I literately have never experienced that kind of pain. The procedure is almost barbaric considering this is the 21st century.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jul 2019, 11:49 am

red_doghubb wrote:

This sounds like taking a sampling of the actual cervix. I've had that done a few times. It's a slight pain, but brief. A pap smear is when they take what looks like a bottle brush and sweep off a cell sample. I find it an odd sensation but not painful.

Last yr I had a uterine biopsy- I literately have never experienced that kind of pain. The procedure is almost barbaric considering this is the 21st century.

Call it what you will. They're all vastly invasive and painful, and its a good thing that young sexually active women are getting these cervical shots in light of the OPs original post.
Hysterectomies and ovarian cysts, unrelated to how sexually active you are, and more likely to endometriosis, or some other pelvic/menstrual disorder is going to cause you agonising symptoms like I've got now, for times to come.
The question I've got is where I go from here and what action I pursue and can tolerate from my recent test results.

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2019, 6:01 pm

PearlsofWisdom wrote:
red_doghubb wrote:

Call it what you will. They're all vastly invasive and painful, and its a good thing that young sexually active women are getting these cervical shots in light of the OPs original post.
Hysterectomies and ovarian cysts, unrelated to how sexually active you are, and more likely to endometriosis, or some other pelvic/menstrual disorder is going to cause you agonising symptoms like I've got now, for times to come.
The question I've got is where I go from here and what action I pursue and can tolerate from my recent test results.

I agree when you have a lot of pelvic inflammation these exams can be intensely painful.

I’ve been living with PCOS, endometriosis and adenomyosis for many years and tried every type of treatment out there. The thing that started turning my health around and actually decreasing my pain was seeing a naturopath and eating an anti inflammatory diet. As a bonus my anxiety greatly decreased and I lost a bunch of weight too.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 6:47 pm

Something to say. Joe90. Tell yourself you are not going to get cancer.
Sedation... I have been knocked out a few months ago for the first time in my life. I had to have a few teeth removed because I pnic and my dentist can't do it due to this. I think I ended up waiting maybe 4 going on almost 5 years as someone kept taking my name off the waiting list? Anyway. Things were getting so bad that my vision was going in one of my eyes due to swelling, so I was classed as urgent. It still took another 6 to 8 months to be seen.
I was ever so nurvous....But ai thought to myself. If I live I live and if I die I die. No big deal. God has me anyway. :) Also, I did have a fear I would wake up half way... Well. No chance, and if I did I doubt I would have felt a thing, as when they sedated me they also injected me after to freeze my gums and when I came to I was also given a pain killer. I expected to need more painkillers later but I didn't need any.
What was it like to be knocked out. Well. If only I could have been knocked out with all the past dentist work! I remember the surgeon telling me off for what I put on the forms.. And he then started to say what was gojng to happen and if I had questions. I wanted him to hurry up so I could get it over with as to me the explaining would make me worse! Just do it while I am in the mood! It was via an injection in my arm. I hate injections, but this one I did not even feel. They said I would get a strange feeling as the injection got to work... No feeling... Nothing! I was out! I woke up but wasn't ready to open my eyes or sit up. I was listening to two ladies talk. My thoughts were "Why are there two strange ladies in my bedroom?" I couldn't make sense of things, and I spoke and made a small comment like "Ummm. What are you two talking about? The nurse laughed and said I was awake... I was able to open my eyes and it was odd... I was still puzzled. I was on one of those trolley type beds in a different room. The seat thing I was on while being knocked out was narrow and I did have a concern I would fall off... But this bed thing was ok. It was safe...
Oh... You dont eat or drink for six (Or twelve... Can't remember) hours before being knocked out so you don't need to worry too much about things. Also, they tell you to have light meals before not eating. (I was concerned about not drinking as I drink lots of water when nurvous but I managed it ok).
When one is knocked out... Well. I didn't dream at all. Nothing. No time recollection between the needle and waking up, and when waking up my body was just lying there. Just waiting to wake up! So no. No need to worry there either.
I did feel like something had been shobed up my nose so when I was put in a chair and pushed to a recovery room where my Mum and brother was and another man as his wife had not long been pushed in about 5 to 10 minutes after... I asked the nurse if I had had a tube up my nose. She said she didn't think so. She would ask. She asked and no. I hadn't. I said "It feels like someone has shoved their finger up my nose or something!" With that this other lady who was recovering heard me say that and she had the giggles. She was closer to my Mums age. Turns out it was the injection to freeze things when I came to that I was feeling.
So there is no need to panic or worry.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 03 Jul 2019, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2019, 7:02 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Something to say. Joe90. Tell yourself you are not going to get cancer.
Sedation... I have been knocked out a few months ago for the first time in my life. I had to have a few teeth removed because I pnic and my dentist can't do it due to this. I think I ended up waiting maybe 4 going on almost 5 years as someone kept taking my name off the waiting list? Anyway. Things were getting so bad that my vision was going in one of my eyes due to swelling, so I was classed as urgent. It still took another 6 to 8 months to be seen.
I was ever so nurvous....But ai thought to myself. If I live I live and if I die I die. No big deal. God has me anyway. :) Also, I did have a fear I would wake up half way... Well. No chance, and if I did I doubt I would have felt a thing, as when they sedated me they also injected me after to freeze my gums and when I came to I was also given a pain killer. I expected to need more painkillers later but I didn't need any.
What was it like to be knocked out. Well. If only I could have been knocked out with all the past dentist work! I remember the surgeon telling me off for what I put on the forms.. And he then started to say what was gojng to happen and if I had questions. I wanted him to hurry up so I could get it over with as to me the explaining would make me worse! Just do it while I am in the mood! It was via an injection in my arm. I hate injections, but this one I did not even feel. They said I would get a strange feeling as the injection got to work... No feeling... Nothing! I was out! I woke up but wasn't ready to open my eyes or sit up. I was listening to two ladies talk. My thoughts were "Why are there two strange ladies in my bedroom?" I couldn't make sense of things, and I spoke and made a small comment like "Ummm. What are you two talking about? The nurse laughed and said I was awake... I was able to open my eyes and it was odd... I was still puzzled. I was on one of those trolley type beds in a different room. The seat thing I was on while being knocked out was narrow and I did have a concern I would fall off... But this bed thing was ok. It was safe...
A concern I had about being knocked out was a bit embarissing. Oh... You dont eat or drink for six (Or twelve... Can't remember) hours before being knocked out so you don't need to worry too much about things. Also, they tell you to have light meals before not eating. (I was concerned about not drinking as I drink lots of water when nurvous but I managed it ok). Back to the concern. I think I maybe oversexed, as... Well. Is a bit embarissing to say, but my parts work by themselves at night when I dream... (If you get what I mean).
Anyway. Obviously it was a concern of mine incase I was dreaming and would be highly embarissed, but I reasoned that I just had to get these teeth removed so I could carry on in life and I dare not mention my concerns to the staff there! I need not have worried. When one is knocked out... Well. I didn't dream at all. Nothing. No time recollection between the needle and waking up, and when waking up my body was just lying there. Just waiting to wake up! So no. No need to worry there either.
I did feel like something had been shobed up my nose so when I was put in a chair and pushed to a recovery room where my Mum and brother was and another man as his wife had not long been pushed in about 5 to 10 minutes after... I asked the nurse if I had had a tube up my nose. She said she didn't think so. She would ask. She asked and no. I hadn't. I said "It feels like someone has shoved their finger up my nose or something!" With that this other lady who was recovering heard me say that and she had the giggles. She was closer to my Mums age. Turns out it was the injection to freeze things when I came to that I was feeling.
So there is no need to panic or worry.
And before anyone asks what I mentioned above. I am a virgin as my parts have not been in a woman. I am saving myself for the big day!

Alrighty then...

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 7:04 pm

Sorry. I put too much information. Shall I delete some of it? Done! :)

synchromystic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jul 2019, 2:48 pm

Autiste wrote:
Just a thought:have you heard of vaginismus? This can make trying to insert anything into your vagina painful and likely impossible. I think I most likely have it and I wouldn't even consider having a smear test.

There are ways to reduce it but it takes time - there's loads of info online.

I think this is a good call and worth looking into, OP. I'm fairly sure I have this too, I don't know if it's caused by anxiety or physiology in my case but I'd suspect a mix of both. There's a really good subreddit for it with resources and emotional support.

Maybe try asking your GP about vaginismus and relating your experiences, as you may be able to get physiotherapy or something to make smear tests possible for you. I know we don't have the funding for that where I am, but they might where you live.