Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 1:29 am

Disneyland wagon ban triggers online protests by families with kids with autism, special needs and medical issues

Quote:

A Disneyland wagon ban has triggered an online petition and social media protests by families with children with autism, special needs and medical issues who rely on the pull carts as a safe haven for their kids amid the often kinetic and chaotic atmosphere of the Anaheim theme park.

The online protests follow an announcement that Disneyland and Disney California Adventure will strictly enforce an existing ban on push-or-pull wagons beginning May 1 to help improve traffic flow and reduce congestion in the theme parks. Disney World parks in Florida will also enforce the wagon ban.

Parents say Disneyland can be an overwhelming place for kids with special needs or developmental disabilities who are sensitive to noise and visual stimulation. Families say the stroller wagons provide a “quiet space” for their children.

Disney theme parks make special accommodations for visitors with autism, special needs, noise and light sensitivity, dietary requirements and cognitive, physical, visual and hearing disabilities.

Meeting the needs of visitors with disabilities is extremely important and the parks will continue to make accommodations to meet the needs of those with autism, special needs or medical issues, Disneyland officials said. Visitors can contact Disneyland guest relations for questions about quieter places in the parks and special needs stroller sizes.

“Nothing has changed about how we make accommodations for guests with disabilities,” Disneyland officials said in a prepared statement. “Meeting their needs is extremely important to us.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 8:35 am

Disneyland is just down the road from where I live. Some of my friends work there.

The whole idea behind banning wagons, strollers, smoking, and ice chests is the same idea behind raising the price of admission beyond what most families can afford.

(Price per Adult: 1-day pass $92, 2-day park-hopper pass $210. Price per Child (3-9yr): 1-day pass $86, 2-day park-hopper pass $197.)

It keeps the park looking not just "white", but "wealthy white" -- representing the kind of America that Walt Disney himself envisioned, and that the wealthy, white directors of The Walt Disney Company want to have around.

Note that The Walt Disney Company also owns or controls the Fox Entertainment franchise, the Marvel franchise, the Star Wars franchise, and a long list of other businesses in the entertainment industry.

About 40% of the entertainment media is owned in whole or in part by The Walt Disney Company.

Somehow, Mickey Mouse as a Borg from Star Trek doesn't seem implausible.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 9:25 am

Fnord wrote:
The whole idea behind banning wagons, strollers, smoking, and ice chests is the same idea behind raising the price of admission beyond what most families can afford.

It keeps the park looking not just "white", but "wealthy white" -- representing the kind of America that Walt Disney himself envisioned, and that the wealthy, white directors of The Walt Disney Company want to have around.

^^^^This

It really is a shame that such a famous place so close to my home could possibly be implying this. But then again, SoCal is known for being more conservative than other parts of California.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 9:32 am

warrier120 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The whole idea behind banning wagons, strollers, smoking, and ice chests is the same idea behind raising the price of admission beyond what most families can afford. It keeps the park looking not just "white", but "wealthy white" -- representing the kind of America that Walt Disney himself envisioned, and that the wealthy, white directors of The Walt Disney Company want to have around.
^^^^This. It really is a shame that such a famous place so close to my home could possibly be implying this. But then again, SoCal is known for being more conservative than other parts of California.
Orange County, especially. Even Universal Studios in Los Angeles is more egalitarian in its admissions policies, and they have the Harry Potter attraction, as well!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 9:55 am

they take up a lot of space.

warrier120 wrote:
It really is a shame that such a famous place so close to my home could possibly be implying this. But then again, SoCal is known for being more conservative than other parts of California.

is it really?

orange county i expected, but where else?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 10:00 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
they take up a lot of space.
warrier120 wrote:
is it really? orange county i expected, but where else?
Just about any community along the coast from San Pedro to San Diego. There's a lot of military history there. Riverside County also has a large conservative population, possibly due to its working-class history. Once you start travelling north from San Pedro (and Trump's west-coast golf course and resort) the people start becoming more liberal, with the Malibu hills being an exception -- a lot of wealthy people up there.

These are just general trends, by the way, and not hard-and-fast rules.

Last edited by Fnord on 04 Apr 2019, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 10:00 am

Disneyland is lame. I went to Euro Disney in Paris in 2005, and the average waiting time to get on one of the rides was over an hour. The rides themselves were also a disappointment. I don't know why anybody wastes their money going.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 10:04 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
Disneyland is lame. I went to Euro Disney in Paris in 2005, and the average waiting time to get on one of the rides was over an hour. The rides themselves were also a disappointment. I don't know why anybody wastes their money going.
Because the American Media (40% of which is owned or controlled by Disney) really does promote Disneyland/Disneyworld as if they were "The Happiest Places On Earth". They never mention the expensive food, the long lines, the short rides (when they actually work), and the fact that most of the rides let you off at the entrance to one of the numerous souvenir stores.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 10:05 am

Prometheus18 wrote:

agree

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 3:47 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:

Even as a kid I thought Disney-world and Disneyland didn't really seem that cool. So I wait in line in the heat for hours for a ride that's only going to make me sick and the wait time is longer than the ride itself? My mom didn't believe in "fast passes". She thought that if a child wasn't "mature enough" to wait in line, than they weren't "mature enough" to ride the ride. Also, why do I want to wait in line to see someone dressed up as a character? Why do I want to see someone dressed up as said character in the first place? There were some local malls around here that would let you see someone dressed up as Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh, Timon, Rafiki or various other Disney characters for free.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 8:09 am

For s**ts and giggles...

Disney bends over backwards for ASD kids and special needs kids. IF you needed a stroller as big as the ones my friend showed me in pictures, I'm sure Disney would figure something out. I have had friends bring kids with some pretty heavy duty medical needs, and never got push back on a legitimate need.

I think the Disney is pushing back on the parents who bring a triple wide stroller, and pack rat it to the hilt. They can barely push them around or see what is in front. I have been rammed by those at art fairs. Oops, I'm sorry doesn't cut it, when I have bruise the size of my head on my thigh.

I hate all things Disney. You couldn't give me a week there free. I wouldn't go. Having been ran over by a stroller the size of a WV Beetle crammed full of stuff, this is why we can't have nice things.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 10:37 am

It seems that Disneyland/Disneyworld has made many special accommodations to handicap and special needs children. But it is their right to deny accommodations when they are abused. Or if those accommodations are presenting a hazard to others. It seems like some people in general demand special privileges and then abuse those privileges. They feel it is their right.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 12:15 pm

jimmy m wrote:
It seems that Disneyland/Disneyworld has made many special accommodations to handicap and special needs children. But it is their right to deny accommodations when they are abused. Or if those accommodations are presenting a hazard to others. It seems like some people in general demand special privileges and then abuse those privileges. They feel it is their right.

Correct. This also reminds me of the time when Disneyland changed the disability pass when I was younger. It used to be that you could just show a cast member a card and they would let you go to an alternate line immediately, but apparently (by that, I mean according to Disney) "typical" people abused it. They would hire disabled guests to accompany them just for the sake of getting on the ride faster. Now, the pass works like a FastPass. You get a return time and the amount of time you wait outside the ride's line gets shaved off the amount of time you wait inside the ride's line.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 8:12 am

Disney is overrated anyway. I'm willing to bet that half the people that live in Florida can't even afford to go to Disney. Also they said these "carts" were essential, yet they are calling it a "wagon ban", what's up with that???