04 Apr 2019, 1:44 am

If not why would you use it?

magz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 2:18 am

It's faster.
It's a lot faster when working via ssh.
It's often more transparent than graphical GUIs.
You have more control over the program's behavior and see the messages it sends.
You can make and run scripts.
There are still tools relying on it and some people use them.
Programs often have much more options when run in commandline - it's about economy, adding an option requires less work than adding an option and gui for it.
If you do programming for efficiency, graphics are just a parasite (unless your program is about displaying graphics, ofc)

I'm sure this list is not complete.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 8:08 am

I use it to rename files in order to change the file type.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 9:28 am

I too use it to change file types, since modern incarnations of Windows are so dumbed down and patronising that we're not permitted to do it directly anymore. I also think the console is useful, as magz pointed out, for running programs one has written for his own convenience, without intending to distribute them. Personally, I'd be happy if all the programs I use were console based, as far as this would be possible. The only problems the Windows console has is the inability to highlight text and it's incompatibility with UNICODE.

James_Ladrang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2019, 3:43 pm

Use it every day at work, on green screens. It's the tools I have to use to do my job. The software is old, like me!

I don't mind using commands such as FIND or SAVE, but I hate things like "LACT JOB=VH*".

epilanthanomai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Apr 2019, 4:39 pm

I use it pretty much constantly, but I write data processing and networking software and have since like the nineties, so I'm probably not an average case.

I use it to navigate around files and directories, moving and editing them. I use it for my text editor (vim). I use it for interactive code consoles. I use it to ssh to other computers for maintenance or to check status. I use it to run data processing programs and start services. I use it to grab data files from the web for analysis.

Generally, though, if you want to get "under the hood" and start to understand how computers--and especially network servers--work under all the pretty graphical interfaces, then command prompts are a great way to get into it.

Facepipe
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Apr 2019, 6:34 pm

The command prompt has been replaced by powershell in Windows. Powershell is a much more powerful scripting language I use it every day in work for writing deployment scripts and remotely detecting and fixing errors. It's the dogs bollocks and very easy to learn if you have already used the CMD prompt.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 6:41 pm

I've heard of Powershell, though my Windows doesn't have it. Personally, I'd rather just use Python in IDLE than learn a new purely shell-based language.

Facepipe
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Apr 2019, 6:43 pm

To highlight text you have to right click on the CMD window and press mark. It will then let you highlight text and right click to store in clipboard.

You can also just use the greater than sign to output to text file eg.

Ipconfig > ipconfig.txt

The text selecttion was fixed in Windows 10

Prometheus18 wrote:
I too use it to change file types, since modern incarnations of Windows are so dumbed down and patronising that we're not permitted to do it directly anymore. I also think the console is useful, as magz pointed out, for running programs one has written for his own convenience, without intending to distribute them. Personally, I'd be happy if all the programs I use were console based, as far as this would be possible. The only problems the Windows console has is the inability to highlight text and it's incompatibility with UNICODE.

Facepipe
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Apr 2019, 6:56 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
I've heard of Powershell, though my Windows doesn't have it. Personally, I'd rather just use Python in IDLE than learn a new purely shell-based language.

The first language I learned was VB script it is object oriented like python but powershell really lets you under the hood in Windows 10 the os has been basically built around it.

Powershell is also based on .Net and isn't purely shell based

But yeah python is a very good language to learn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 7:45 pm

James_Ladrang wrote:
Use it every day at work, on green screens. It's the tools I have to use to do my job. The software is old, like me! I don't mind using commands such as FIND or SAVE, but I hate things like "LACT JOB=VH*".

% cat "food in cans"
cat: can't open food in cans

% "How would you rate Trump's incompetence?
Unmatched ".

% ar x "my love life"
ar: my love life does not exist

% make love
Make: Don't know how to make love. Stop.

% sleep with me
bad character

% got a light?
No match.

% man: why did you get a divorce?
man:: Too many arguments.

% !:say, what is saccharine?
Bad substitute.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 8:04 pm

PowerShell isn't as much a language as a disorganized set of bindings for every feature that ships in Windows. I did some provisioning automation with it at work last year & there's a lot more one can do in the Windows shell(s) than from a singular programming environment. Nothing really prevents anyone from invoking either language from the other & they both have their advantages.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

JustFoundHere
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2019, 5:17 pm

This Quora answer might be of interest:

'What is the Purpose of a Computer's Command Prompt Function in Layman's Terms, and What Does it Do That You Can't Already Do on Your Computer?'

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-purpo ... r-computer

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 11:53 pm

Fnord wrote:
James_Ladrang wrote:
Use it every day at work, on green screens. It's the tools I have to use to do my job. The software is old, like me! I don't mind using commands such as FIND or SAVE, but I hate things like "LACT JOB=VH*".

% cat "food in cans"

Unmatched ".

% ar x "my love life"

% make love

% sleep with me
bad character

% got a light?
No match.

Bad substitute.

% disown rentiers
no such job

% enable turtling
not a shell builtin

- output not copied exactly

fiber bundle
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jun 2019, 7:11 pm

la_fenkis wrote:
Fnord wrote:
James_Ladrang wrote:

% cat "food in cans"

Unmatched ".

% ar x "my love life"

% make love

% sleep with me
bad character

% got a light?
No match.

Bad substitute.

% disown rentiers
no such job

% enable turtling
not a shell builtin

- output not copied exactly

``enable'' and ``disable'' are builtins of the Bourne Again Shell, not C shell.