07 Apr 2019, 10:22 am

Bach, Johann Sebastian
Beethoven, Ludwig von
Handel, George Frideric
Pachelbel, Wilhelm Hieronymus
Scarlatti, Domenico Scarlatti
Vivaldi, Antonio

... to name a few ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

eilishbillie987
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2019, 12:16 pm

bach
shostakovic
da vinci
rembrandt
ann coulter
billie eilish

Last edited by eilishbillie987 on 07 Apr 2019, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 12:21 pm

The classic composers ^
Ella Fitzgerald
daVinci
Michelangelo
Vincent van Gogh
Shakespeare
Charlotte Brontë
Emily Brontë
The Beatles

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 1:33 pm

My own best five in bold:

Literature:

Homer, Aeschylus, Euripides, Sophocles, Aristophanes, Cicero, Seneca, Virgil, Horace, Terence, Juvenal, Plutarch, Catullus, Julian of Norwich, Boccaccio, Dante, Petrarch, Montaigne, Shakespeare, de Cervantes, Omar Khayyam, Calderón, Rabelais, Milton, Middleton, Goldsmith, Swift, Sterne, Fielding, Johnson, Pope, Blake, Wordsworth, Byron, Shelley, Goethe, Schiller, Rousseau, Voltaire, Tolstoy, Dickens, Dostoyevsky, Pushkin, Gogol, Turgenev, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Tennyson, Swinburne, Baudelaire, Balzac, Hugo, Dumas, Sand, TS Eliot and a dozen or two more.

Music:

Bach, Vivaldi, Handel, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Verdi, Schubert, Schumann, Mussorgsky, Berlioz, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Ravel, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Elgar, Britten, Walton, Puccini, Debussy, Chopin, Tallis, Boyce, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Mahler, Weber, Scriabin, Strauss, Hindemith, V Williams, Dvorak, Bartok, Grieg and no others.

Painting:

Giotto, Duccio, van Eyck, Fra Angelico, della Francesca, da Vinci, Botticelli, Bellini, Dürer, Bosch, Giorgione, Raphael, Michelangelo, Titian, Holbein Jr, Bruegel Sr, El Greco, Caravaggio, Rubens, Rembrandt, de Hooch, Vermeer, Velázquez, Reynolds, Gainsborough, Hogarth, Boucher, Vigee Lebrun, Constable, Delacroix, Goya, Degas, Courbet, Millet, Manet, Ingres, Cezanne, Renoir, Pissarro, Monet, van Gogh, Munch, Picasso, Klimt, Hopper, Dali, Lowry and few, if any others.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 1:39 pm

Not to be political, but are any of those people women, Prometheus?

Ooops -- George Sand, Lebrun.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 1:52 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

The trouble is that (almost) all the names there predate the beginning of the twentieth century, when feminism happened. I'm more "timesist" than sexist. I absolutely love Lebrun's self portrait in a straw hat; she conveyed her charms as an intelligent, cultured woman better than any male painter of any era could have done there.

I could maybe have included someone like Virginia Woolf in the literature list, too (I did state that I'd probably omitted a dozen or two names), but aside from the fact that I consider her work, quite objectively, to have been second rate, I can never forgive her for the nasty words she had for Mr. Eliot upon his conversion to High Church Anglicanism, however ironically they may have been intended:

Quote:
I had a most shameful and distressing interview with poor dear Tom Eliot, who may be called dead to us all from this day forward. He has become an Anglo-Catholic, believes in God and immortality, and goes to church.

I was really shocked. A corpse would seem to me more credible than he is. I mean, there's something obscene in a living person sitting by the fire and believing in God.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 2:04 pm

I understand. I was just curious because I wasn't familiar with all of those listed.

I might add Mary Wollstonecraft to my list.

I could add many more people of greatness but I chose those with eternal themes.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 2:20 pm

I considered including philosophers, scientists and historians in the literature list, but couldn't really see how they might be considered artists.

More literary names (I'm reading them out of my bookcase, this time):

Wilde, Thoreau, Lucretius, Melville, Flaubert, Chaucer, Huxley, Orwell, Moliere, Rilke, Marco Polo, Ovid, Verlaine, O'Kempis, Bunyan, Donne, Marlowe, Hesse, Mann and Emerson.

Julian of Norwich was a woman, though I'll admit to not having read her very thoroughly. I might also have included Theresa of Avila.

Rustifer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2019, 8:47 pm

The Chauvet Cave artist who did the smiling female reproductive organ with a missing tooth.

I just love that I can relate so well with this artist's sense of humor despite the supposed ~30K years timespan that separates us.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 9:27 pm

I'm too stubborn not to question the basis of the question.

In some ways people will react with whatever they really like, other people will go back to the roots of their culture (a lot of the classical is sort of that), and at the same time - I really wonder if the easy-to-date decades of music were really a 20th and possibly 19th century thing, that after the early 21st century the mood and sound-pallet will be covered for the most part and if anything it will be pop trying to go back and grab whatever it alienated or ignored previously.

I do think there's an honest claim to be made that if a song, or even just a piece of music, has absolutely sublime emotion and articulates it with painstaking clarity then in a way it's timeless, just that obviously if it's played by a jazz band, if it's played on synthesizer over breaks, if it's 80's hair-metal guitar and drums, the style and motif will be era-bound but the impact won't be.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 1:41 am

Well, H.P. Lovecraft's legacy in literature certainly is enjoying a long posthumous life. I will add William Shakespeare, and Franz Kafka for very much the same reason, as well as practitioners of other art forms such as Vincent Van Gogh, and Salvador Dali. A lot of names I'd list have already been mentioned by others, already.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 1:59 am

Well not the only one who could be considered such.

But for me I'd say Dio is the top timeless artist, he had such a wonderful voice and his songs were all great. I got to see him at the Red Rocks stadium near Denver, on the last tour he was alive for got a ticket for my brother to and it was awesome to see him live. Sadly he died soon after...but his legacy will live on forever.

I still have a shirt from that concert though at one point it ended up going through the wash without being turned inside out and so the image on the front is kind of faded...but I will keep that shirt forever.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 2:07 am

Also I really appreciate metal band that throw classical sounding stuff into the music. Like nothing makes me happier than metal music that reminds me of classical music seems that kind of thing mostly exists in power metal, but its certainly not just limited to that genre. Like a lot of bands from scandinavia the members had musical training from young ages a lot of times in classical music and they turn around and make awesome metal, with musical connotations or whatever that classical artists where using during their time.

Like some people think metal is just a bunch of screaming or whatever, when metal is the only genre I have really heard where bands incorporate some of the classical music sound. LIke not just for an intro or an outro of a song...like all the way through. I mean here is a metal cover of beethoven.

but of course metal is just screaming

eilishbillie987
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2019, 2:13 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

The trouble is that (almost) all the names there predate the beginning of the twentieth century, when feminism happened. I'm more "timesist" than sexist. I absolutely love Lebrun's self portrait in a straw hat; she conveyed her charms as an intelligent, cultured woman better than any male painter of any era could have done there.

I could maybe have included someone like Virginia Woolf in the literature list, too (I did state that I'd probably omitted a dozen or two names), but aside from the fact that I consider her work, quite objectively, to have been second rate, I can never forgive her for the nasty words she had for Mr. Eliot upon his conversion to High Church Anglicanism, however ironically they may have been intended:

Quote:
I had a most shameful and distressing interview with poor dear Tom Eliot, who may be called dead to us all from this day forward. He has become an Anglo-Catholic, believes in God and immortality, and goes to church.

I was really shocked. A corpse would seem to me more credible than he is. I mean, there's something obscene in a living person sitting by the fire and believing in God.

more of high-standardist ..

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2019, 10:42 am

Bon Jovi