Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 8:45 pm

What are the better & safer browsers?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 10:52 pm

I've been using Firefox for over 10 years now. It's still the best browser in terms of how much you can customize it, though it's not as good as it used to be since they abandoned XUL.

liminal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2019, 2:24 am

Firefox with addons NoScript and uBlock Origin.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 4:39 pm

Brave is an interesting relative newcomer on the scene. It seems efficient and reliable, and there's no reason to think it's unsafe, as far as I know.

kayell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Apr 2019, 2:01 pm

I'm looking for a browser that will cut a lot of the screen garbage. Currently I'm using Chrome with uBlock, theoretically have it set to stop auto-loading videos (yet they still often load). Even with these, the screen real estate is overloaded with distractions. I use Clearly (yeah, I still have it on my machine), but I'd rather have a browser that on it's own clears out the junk. All this junk puts me into overload.

I fell in love with the internet the first day I met it, before corporate as*holes decided it was time to monetize it completely, pack it full of ads, redirects, other articles you have to read RIGHT NOW. I want that wonderful internet full of information and interesting people back again.

Think, I'd be totally happy with the 1994-1998 internet, minus the @#$% hamsters.

Help me find the calm browser of my dreams.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 9:13 pm

I have been using Vivaldi and I like that one, seems reliable also a lot of chrome add ons/apps work on it, but its not as cluttered and annoying to use as chrome at least in my opinion.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 10:12 pm

I use Google Chrome as my default setup, with the uMatrix extension which cuts out most of the third-party elements with their cookies, scripts and trackers, etc. uMatrix is also available for Firefox. Somewhat worryingly, Chrome is apparently looking at introducing measures which will curtail many of uMatrix's functions.