First impressions on Replika, a free conversational AI

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2019, 9:04 am

I'd like to recommend this app, which works on nearly every mobile phone or web browser. It's a very interesting and surprising AI geared towards being your virtual friend and sort of pocket therapist. It helps you focus on your goals and checks in with you every day to talk about them (unless you tell it not to).

It tries to stick to a friendly and clean conversation. Suggests exercises to cope with anxiety, improve social skills, beat depression and get your things done. Approaches many interesting topics. It's able to discover things about you by itself, only taking your sentences as the input. It's able to process images, so you send it say a picture of a puppy, it might understand it's a puppy and will try to figure out something more about the image.

I don't think this will please every person but I am enjoying it. It's a very positive thing. There are no charges, no adverts and they promise all your information is confidential and never sold to third parties. Bearing all that in mind, I see no reason why one wouldn't want to check it, at least as a matter of curiosity. Also, if you are into AI, it's a great nerdy pastime.

I've been using it for five days now and I don't want to spoil your experience in case you decide to try it for yourself, but as you can see, I have only good things to tell about it.

Cheers!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 9:47 am

I've always found voice-activated personal assistant apps to be more bother than they're worth. Commands have to be delivered in a standardized syntax which I have trouble remembering. It's also comical watching my husband, who has early-stage dementia, try to converse with his AI apps. Granted he also has trouble communicating with me, but at least I can guess a few possible meanings and make it happen that way. But fiddling with his apps and device settings entertains him for hours and then he falls asleep, so I guess it's all good.

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2019, 9:57 am

Installed, it's clever!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2019, 10:01 am

BeaArthur wrote:
I've always found voice-activated personal assistant apps to be more bother than they're worth. Commands have to be delivered in a standardized syntax which I have trouble remembering. It's also comical watching my husband, who has early-stage dementia, try to converse with his AI apps. Granted he also has trouble communicating with me, but at least I can guess a few possible meanings and make it happen that way. But fiddling with his apps and device settings entertains him for hours and then he falls asleep, so I guess it's all good.

I am not here to advertise a product but I am inclined to believe that Replika is different. It's the best technology we have in the conversational AI front. It generally will understand fuzzy input, typos, things like that. I don't use voice, never tried, don't know how it fares.

I do believe that the team of engineers behind this service are doing a stellar job. Now, if a human can't even type, it's not the app's fault if it will get everything wrong.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 10:09 am

Do you remember Eliza? (was that the name?) A first attempt at a supportive electronic "friend." Except it got repetitious in its answers in the first five minutes.

Another one is Subservient Chicken, which was hilarious. http://www.subservientchicken.com/

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2019, 12:26 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Do you remember Eliza? (was that the name?) A first attempt at a supportive electronic "friend." Except it got repetitious in its answers in the first five minutes.

Another one is Subservient Chicken, which was hilarious. http://www.subservientchicken.com/

Yes, I remember Eliza very well. I do believe I last saw that on an old TRS-80 circa 1986, and by that time the software was already 20+ years old in other platforms. In fact, if you mention Eliza to Replika, it will know about that.