Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

48 billion light years away
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Apr 2019, 12:26 pm

I was born in the Russian-speaking area of Ukraine, the one where the war is right now. Now I live in the capital. My languages are Russian, Hebrew, and soon to be either Finnish or something out of Uralic family since this is all my heritage. I like learning languages, but only if they seem "good" by my texture.

Languages with "good" texture: Russian, Nordic languages, north European like German, English, Turkic family, Uralic family, Hebrew.

Languages with "bad" texture": All other Slavic languages including Ukrainian, Romance languages (French, Spanish, Italian, etc.)

Other ones aren't really measured.

In general, if a language has a "nice" or "wishy-washy" texture with lots of sonoric and singeable sounds, it would sound to me like food in the sink to touch, and I wouldn't want to speak it. I like Hebrew because my aunt and uncle are Jewish and lived in Israel for some time so this one is a plus and also Hebrew has zero emotion whenever I look at it. If I wrote a text in english like "I want a hug because I am alone", it would appear emotional. But same written in Hebrew (אני רוצה את חבק כי אני לבד) appears "primary psychopathic". Transcription [a'ni rotze et kha'bek ki a'ni le'vad]

Problem is, Ukrainian is an incredibly "nice" and "wishy-washy" language to me. Growing up Russian I thought Ukranian was overly sonoric and "food in the sink"-like. I don't really like speaking Ukrainian, and I am kinda concerned with my own safety because ethnically, sexually and linguistically I am one of the people who "caused war". And here people would support nationalist groups any second. Also sexuality and gender are often paired with being separatist or war-inducing by some people.

It is a long time until I get to move to Canada (I want to follow Uralic roots in latitude), so I have no idea how do i cope with living in a country whose language sounds disgusting to me.