Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 7:27 am

I came across some interesting research today dealing with Wasabi. Now I am not a big sushi eater. I have tasted Wasabi and it is strong stuff. But my kids and grandkids like it.

Wasabi has antimicrobial properties which may have safeguarded Japanese sushi eaters over the years. Specifically, “6-methylsulfinylhexyl isothiocyanate” has been identified in wasabi as an anti-microbial agent effective against bacteria such as E. coli and Staphylococcus aureus. This useful property has led to the ingenious development of using wasabi extract as a preservative in lunch bags in Japan.

On the western front, researchers are looking at isothiocyanate in particular as possibly targeting pathogenic Salmonella. Wasabi’s antimicrobial effect may yet be directed against another scourge, namely, tooth decay. According Dr. Hideki Masuda, isothiocyanate is effective in inhibiting Streptococcus mutans cell growth by interfering with the ability of bacterial cell to adhere to teeth. Other health benefits may include wasabi’s anti-cancer properties. Researchers have found that many human stomach cancer cells changed morphologically followed by cell death in a medium of wasabi extract. Besides the lachrymatory sensation, and clearing of the sinuses, there are no known side-effects attributed to wasabi consumption although some individuals may experience an allergic reaction. However, since “real” wasabi is difficult to cultivate, much of the green paste on the market today is horseradish that is dyed green. As a result, the allergic reaction is often due to either the dye or the horseradish

Source: Wasabi Does More Than Simply Add Heat To Sushi

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 8:43 am

Since I have spent some time experimenting with essential oils, I began to wonder if they produce a wasabi essential oil.

Wasabi is a plant of Japanese origin, called also Japanese horseradish. Its stem is used as a condiment and has an extremely strong pungency. Its hotness is more akin to that of a hot mustard than that of the capsaicin in a chili pepper, producing vapours that stimulate the nasal passages more than the tongue. The plant grows naturally along stream beds in mountain river valleys in Japan.

A quick search showed they produce a wasabi carrier oil from the cold press method. So a carrier oil can be used in making an essential oil blend but it is not a true essential oil. Their ad reads:

Wasabi seed botanical oil can make a wonderful chest compress. It can open breathing passages and restore breathing during respiratory infections.

It has a protective effect on the respiratory system, and can eliminate pathogens from sinuses and nasal passages.

It is anti-viral and anti-bacterial, a valuable carrier oil for blends used to relieve cases of flu and the common cold.

It has a mildly pungent aroma that is bright and clears away mental fog and cobwebs.

But when I looked at buying some, they were out of stock. Also this oil was produced in India, so I wonder if it is pure Wasabi oil.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 7:57 pm

I love wasabi! I buy it in tube form and dip vegetables in it. Thanks for the information, I found it very interesting!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 2:34 pm

Interesting read. I used to eat wasabi a lot but I haven't had it in years. When I did buy it, it had a Japanese label on it and was in a tube so I assumed it was the real deal.

I knew about some of the health benefits so I used it especially when I was sick, to clear my throat and nostrils if I couldn't breathe, and to stop hiccups when I got them.