Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What political views do you mostly match up with?
Progressive 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
Moderate Democrat 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Centrist 50%  50%  [ 12 ]
Conservative 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Republican 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 24

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 3:11 pm

I keep hearing that WP is becoming a 'conservative echo chamber', while I know it's not, I'm willing to bet that the majority of people here are actually democrats to centrists and imagine that there aren't really a lot of republicans here. So I'm doing a poll to see what the results are to crush the 'conservative echo chamber'. Just choose the option that is closest to your political alignment.

Edit: I added some options, I'm not sure if republican and conservative is the same thing?? You can also change your vote.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 3:51 pm

No, WP certainly isn't becoming a "conservative echo chamber." It's just that hared of Trump has created a political climate where any criticism of anti-Trump rhetoric will immediately get you branded a conservative or Republican. If you question Russia collusion, then you must be a Trump supporter. Obviously, that has been the nature of politics for a very long time, but it's gotten much worse over the past two years.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 3:55 pm

I view myself as a moderate Democrat, even though it's annoying how much mud-slinging has become here in the PPR forum on basis of political and social views.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Apr 2019, 4:09 pm

I think it's pretty clear that WrongPlanet has shifted pretty far to the right in recent years, at least on PPR. Also all the old conservatives who basically either liked guns or liked the moralising bits of the Old Testament have been replaced by racists.

"Democrat" and "Republican" are American political parties. "Progressive" and "conservative" are political ideologies. "Centrist" is a pretty nothing term most of the time; people who identify as "centrist" tend to be far-right.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 4:22 pm

Just be aware, when I criticize the 'left', i'm always talking about the 'regressive left'. I try to include that but don't always state specifically which portion of the left I dislike. I would have added that but i seriously doubt anyone would own up to the tittle 'regressive left'. Though I honestly haven't really met anyone here that fits that label. The left on a wider note is spreading too many false rumors about Trump, though I understand they are getting it from left-wing journalism. Not saying all left-journalism makes things up, but there sure are a lot of them that do. Like the lie that has resurfaced again, "Trump said asylum seekers and illegal immigrants are "animals", an intentional lie....

Far-Left Activists, Democrats, Media Spread Deceptively Edited Clip Of Trump Calling MS-13 Gang Members 'Animals'

Democrat politicians, alleged journalists, and far-left activists spread a deceptively edited video clip from last year that they falsely claimed showed President Donald Trump calling immigrants and asylum seekers "animals," when, in fact, he was referring to members of the notoriously hyper-violent MS-13 street gang.

A Twitter user named Mark Elliott posted the following tweet on Friday with the caption: ".@realDonaldTrump on people asking for asylum 'These aren't people. These are animals.'"

.@realDonaldTrump on people asking for asylum "These aren't people. These are animals." pic.twitter.com/pTKY08Obm2

— Mark Elliott (@markmobility) April 5, 2019
Elliott got the video from a CSPAN tweet, which he embedded in his own tweet. The video that CSPAN deceptively edited does not give context to whom Trump is referring to when he says, "These aren't people. These are animals."

Far-Left Activists, Democrats, Media Spread Deceptively Edited Clip Of Trump Calling MS-13 Gang Members 'Animals'

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 4:28 pm

I don't care if he was talking about dangerous gangs, he didn't make anyone any safer by insulting them. He's only humanizing himself by dehumanizing others, it doesn't matter to me who they may be.

Anyone can make any video of anyone else saying anything, INCLUDING TRUMP. It's called DeepFake & it's pretty common software.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 4:30 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I think it's pretty clear that WrongPlanet has shifted pretty far to the right in recent years, at least on PPR. Also all the old conservatives who basically either liked guns or liked the moralising bits of the Old Testament have been replaced by racists.

"Democrat" and "Republican" are American political parties. "Progressive" and "conservative" are political ideologies. "Centrist" is a pretty nothing term most of the time; people who identify as "centrist" tend to be far-right.

Really? That all seems like pretty hardcore left statements. Especially the bit about centrist, it typically means you are center, so Fnord is a far right?? He has labeled himself as a centrist, he is not far right. Those are mighty odd statements, I would figure far right people would call themselves republican or conservative, which is not the same as alt-right. Where are the racist people here? I have not seen them. I bet you the results of the poll will show that the left greatly outnumbers the right here at WP, so it makes statements like WP has shifted to far right a little invalid.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 4:33 pm

cberg wrote:
I don't care if he was talking about dangerous gangs, he didn't make anyone any safer by insulting them. He's only humanizing himself by dehumanizing others, it doesn't matter to me who they may be.

Anyone can make any video of anyone else saying anything, INCLUDING TRUMP. It's called DeepFake & it's pretty common software.

Wow! So it's ok to lie as long as you lie about the person you dislike? I don't like people who lie, in no way do I see it as ok to do. It's pretty odd that you feel it is wrong to put down extremely violent gang members which I might add that some of them have posted videos of them chopping peoples heads off on youtube. I would say they are animals.

Basically what you are saying is it's wrong to call one of the most violent gangs in the US, known for chopping peoples heads off for snitching, animals. I would say it's pretty messed up to think we should stand up against calling violent murderers animals.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 4:45 pm

I entered centrist, even though that's not how I would describe myself it fits the best of the presented categories.

I consider myself a pragmatic libertarian. That is I subscribe to a general libertarian philosophy of economic and social freedom, but recognize that certain practical restraints prevent pure capitalism or pure anarchy from being viable systems.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 5:04 pm

Crimadella wrote:
cberg wrote:

Wow! So it's ok to lie as long as you lie about the person you dislike? I don't like people who lie, in no way do I see it as ok to do. It's pretty odd that you feel it is wrong to put down extremely violent gang members which I might add that some of them have posted videos of them chopping peoples heads off on youtube. I would say they are animals.

Basically what you are saying is it's wrong to call one of the most violent gangs in the US, known for chopping peoples heads off for snitching, animals. I would say it's pretty messed up to think we should stand up against calling violent murderers animals.

I think it's asinine to consider the U.S. any less violent as a whole.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 5:06 pm

I've had about enough of being called a liar because I understand why people might want to lie to get rid of Trump. The guy lies all the time plus he's by & large legally untouchable.

I don't see any honesty from Trump whatsoever.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 5:07 pm

cberg wrote:
Crimadella wrote:
cberg wrote:

Yea, I mean it's not as if millions of people are in line to become citizens of America because they wish to escape oppressive systems.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 5:09 pm

I consider myself an "independent" more than anything else.

My views tend to be allied with what, in Europe, is called "Social Democracy."

There are some aspects of me which are "conservative," though.

I have a problem with Trump, primarily, because he really seems to want to desire a personality cult to be created around him. He also wants to rule arbitrarily---and he feels "checks and balances" are a hindrance, rather than something which is necessary for the preservation of our nation (the US).

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 5:10 pm

cberg wrote:
I've had about enough of being called a liar because I understand why people might want to lie to get rid of Trump. The guy lies all the time plus he's by & large legally untouchable.

I don't see any honesty from Trump whatsoever.

I wasn't calling you a liar, you seem to be defending lieing to take out political figures you may oppose. How would you feel if someone you liked became the president and journalists constantly pumped out lies to try to get rid of them?? I think it is pretty insane to defend lying.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 5:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I consider myself an "independent" more than anything else.

My views tend to be allied with what, in Europe, is called "Social Democracy."

There are some aspects of me which are "conservative," though.

I have a problem with Trump, primarily, because he really seems to want to desire a personality cult to be created around him. He also wants to rule arbitrarily---and he feels "checks and balances" are a hindrance, rather than something which is necessary for the preservation of our nation (the US).

I would love to see the speech where he states that he desires to have a cult worship him.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 5:14 pm

Crimadella wrote:
cberg wrote:
Crimadella wrote:
cberg wrote:

Yea, I mean it's not as if millions of people are in line to become citizens of America because they wish to escape oppressive systems.

Millions of Americans become expatriates for this exact reason. I'm a hacker, by profession, we get treated better pretty much anywhere else & I'm certainly not the only one.