There's very little about WP I like now

Page 14 of 27 [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 27  Next

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 1:55 am

discussing (and fighting over) politics on a forum wont change a thing in ur life, exept mounting stress, sly. thats why i dont show up there. im not as reselient as some ppl decide to believe xD

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 2:04 am

serpentari wrote:
discussing (and fighting over) politics on a forum wont change a thing in ur life, exept mounting stress, sly. thats why i dont show up there. im not as reselient as some ppl decide to believe xD

The idea is to share it with likeminded aspies, same reason anyone posts here. I don’t post to fight. When I post about gun control it’s cause I’m afraid and want to talk to others similarly afraid about it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 2:05 am

I stay away from the PPR forum. I am interested in politics, but I don't think I'm very knowledgeable about it enough to post my opinion and not be doubted by some smart ass who seems to know everything. I don't know much really, I admit that.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 2:49 am

sly279 wrote:
serpentari wrote:

The idea is to share it with likeminded aspies, same reason anyone posts here. I don’t post to fight. When I post about gun control it’s cause I’m afraid and want to talk to others similarly afraid about it.

See I take a fundamentally different view. When I make a post in PPR, I'm typically looking for alternative opinions to mine or open discussion on a topic where my opinion is not strongly formed. Agreement is boring and makes me lazy in my reasoning. Vigorous debate sharpens my reasoning. I'm not looking for a fight, but I am looking for a debate.

Now not everyone enjoys that, and there are plenty of view-centric echo chamber political forums on the internet for people who only want to discuss with like-minded individuals. We have a diversity of opinions and a good team of moderators who generally make sure people are discussing ideas rather than attacking other posters. In my opinion that makes our political forum better than most places on the internet. I might not generally agree with them, but I would be sad to see posters like Kraichgauer and Cberg desert the forum, because they bring much needed liberal viewpoints.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 2:56 am

i hope there continues to be people who discover WP.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 4:01 am

EzraS wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Sockpuppets are hard to prove. I've seen members post in a very similar writing style as me, and also very similar subjects and being anxious about the same sort of things, and even agreeing with what I post a lot of the time. Then I worry in case everyone will think that I'm a sockpuppet, and I'll get banned for it or something.

You've been here for ages and people know you really well, I think you have nothing to fear...

On the other hand, when you see a new member with a very similar posting style to someone who recently got banned...

I remember that you recently posted something that sounded so much like stuff I have written, I was thinking of making a joke about us being the same person. There's a lot of people who share similar views of things that sound alike to me. It's inevitable.

Yeah, I have "I could have written that word by word" moments too. It's why I don't make public accusations and don't consider suspicions proof. I've seen some nasty scandals here and people were actually wrong.

Unless I actually am your sock-puppet :twisted:

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 5:21 am

It's not so much that I think "I could have written that word for word"... it's more that people put my thoughts far more eloquently than I could, so I don't bother adding anything. It's probably why my post count doesn't refkect the amount of time I spend on here.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 8:19 am

Trueno wrote:
It's not so much that I think "I could have written that word for word"... it's more that people put my thoughts far more eloquently than I could, so I don't bother adding anything. It's probably why my post count doesn't reflect the amount of time I spend on here.

Sometimes it's bizarre and uncanny to read things other people have written, and feel like they're thinking the same thing I've thought, or saying something I've never heard anyone other than me say before. Plenty of other times I also think that people write something out so much better than I can manage. I feel like, if I responded to everything like that, I'd have written "I can relate" on here 10,000 times by now. So a lot of the time I don't respond, because that's pretty much all I'd say.

As far as ppr discussions, I can't handle them. So I just stay out of there. Although I did realize at some point here that some people really enjoy arguing and debate, and can do it without getting heated up. And they're good at it. And for them it can be productive. I'm glad they're able to do that and have a place to do that.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 7:29 pm

Trueno wrote:
It's not so much that I think "I could have written that word for word"... it's more that people put my thoughts far more eloquently than I could, so I don't bother adding anything. It's probably why my post count doesn't refkect the amount of time I spend on here.

Same for me.

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 7:25 am

I just read a lot of this thread because I saw that Raleigh (Spelling? I think it's right.)
posted this thread.

Anyway, Raleigh was kind from what I remember when I first posted on here around 2016, I think.

Is that your real picture as your avatar, Raleigh ? I've asked that before.

He's one of the few I remember when I see his username.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 6:44 pm

Antrax wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Of the few people in the world who share my interests, I met the majority of them here. They all left a long time ago.

I have tried fan clubs, but nobody in my area has the same interests, and finding such people has been the basis for me possibly relocating.

Given that Houston is the 5th largest metro area in the U.S. I find this unlikely. There are 6.3 million people there, are you sure none share your interests?

There aren't any animated sitcom fan clubs in Houston, all I can find are online one. In one group (on FB), there were 3 members in Houston out of 30,000 total. I sent all of them friend requests, and none of them accepted.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 11:37 pm

I had to leave the only social group in my area that barely catered to anything I am interested in.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 2:45 am

What I hate is that people (usually teenagers) act as if autism doesn't disable ability to work.

I'm a smart person with an MA. Still nobody wanted me.

16% of autistic adults are in full time jobs, 32% are in work at all. Quit acting as it it's easy because it's not. Heck of a lot of underemployment, too, which is what people are suggesting I get.

I agree it doesn't hinder ability but employers can be very picky about social skills in interviews and things like that. Most jobs require 'good' social skills, my volunteer boss thought he was doing me a favour by saying mine were 'average'.

Just bear in mind that not everyone who's on the spectrum will have the same experience to you. Also bear in mind (because at 18, I thought I was going to run the world, not literally but I saw myself as a successful businesswoman because I did so well at school) that autism can be a lot easier in the classroom where it's smarts that count than in the 'real world' where it's all about social skills and ability to pass as NT.

I can't work. The government has assessed this. People need to start accepting this on this site which is for autistic people.

Also, whenever I talk, there is a long gap afterwards. It could just be my social anxiety which notices this. But it could be that I'm too weird for other autistic people.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 9:02 pm

^^^thank you for mentioning "the gap." the pregnant pause. the pall.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 4:32 am

auntblabby wrote:
There simply aren't enough active users for one to expect a quick response to any post. If there were somebody who was responding to all or most of your posts, they would probably make you uncomfortable.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 5:21 am

MaxE wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
There simply aren't enough active users for one to expect a quick response to any post. If there were somebody who was responding to all or most of your posts, they would probably make you uncomfortable.

i was referring to the previous poster's luck with F2F.